Refurbishment News

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Re: Refurbishment News

Post by Thumper1 » Jul Wed 01, 2015 9:48 am

So many things being closed now at DHS! Makes me sad about The Magic of Animation closing! I will miss the drawing classes!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 01, 2015 4:22 pm

brerrabbit1 wrote:So many things being closed now at DHS! Makes me sad about The Magic of Animation closing! I will miss the drawing classes!
Me too :( I'm hoping they will put the drawing classes somewhere else. It is one of our favorite things to do ~ plus you have an awesome souvenir when you are done!

Thumper1

Post by Thumper1 » Jul Thu 02, 2015 6:56 pm

Amy wrote:
brerrabbit1 wrote:So many things being closed now at DHS! Makes me sad about The Magic of Animation closing! I will miss the drawing classes!
Me too :( I'm hoping they will put the drawing classes somewhere else. It is one of our favorite things to do ~ plus you have an awesome souvenir when you are done!
Agree on the awesome souvenir! I dable in drawing, so the classes were great to me! I usually did the whole Magic of Animation building when my husband and daughter want a break and go back to the room for a rest! I will tour One Man's Dream and then on to Magic of animation to do the drawing class and hang out with Sorcerer Mickey and pooh there! I really enjoy the time with no one rushing me!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 02, 2015 7:50 pm

brerrabbit1 wrote:
Amy wrote:
Agree on the awesome souvenir! I dable in drawing, so the classes were great to me! I usually did the whole Magic of Animation building when my husband and daughter want a break and go back to the room for a rest! I will tour One Man's Dream and then on to Magic of animation to do the drawing class and hang out with Sorcerer Mickey and pooh there! I really enjoy the time with no one rushing me!
Ooo, that was a great idea ~ you'll have to come up with something else to do during naptime now :(

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Jul Sun 05, 2015 9:18 am

Especially if this is true:

http://thisisinfamous.com/3-billion-all ... exclusive/
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sun 05, 2015 1:41 pm

"Love" is a bit strong of a word to describe the familiarity with the park, though why they would want to keep GMR is beyond me. The content alone is stale, but the passive presentation is what really kills the ride. Hopefully they will at least move beyond "We just wrapped up filming" for Indy.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Mon 06, 2015 9:15 am

I'm just not sure why Indiana Jones has to be so prominent in the parks. It's a franchise that although awesome, isn't enough to demand a presence in the parks. I totally understand Star Wars as it is timeless and has 3 more movies planned for the future. But Indiana Jones just feels like a tag-along to keep fanboys happy. Also, as much as I love the Indiana Jones Adventure attraction at DLR, we don't need a copy of it at WDW, even if it is an enhanced version.

I will be sad to see Muppets go away, but wonder if they will still have some presence given that ABC is bringing them back to TV.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 06, 2015 11:36 pm

It is a little weird if they started using the same mechanism and track layout between parks at the same resort, at the same time they are offering a unique experience in each. At the same time, they may also be planning on expanding the franchise again, it would be silly to buy the IP and just let it sit there.

If the show lasts more than 6 episodes, they might consider a returned presence.

zhoover
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by zhoover » Jul Tue 07, 2015 8:22 am

theBIGyowski wrote:I'm just not sure why Indiana Jones has to be so prominent in the parks. It's a franchise that although awesome, isn't enough to demand a presence in the parks.
I'd be surprised if we got through the next 12 months without an announcement about new Indy content in the works - either TV or Film.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Tue 07, 2015 10:33 am

zhoover wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:I'm just not sure why Indiana Jones has to be so prominent in the parks. It's a franchise that although awesome, isn't enough to demand a presence in the parks.
I'd be surprised if we got through the next 12 months without an announcement about new Indy content in the works - either TV or Film.
I don't know...seeing as how Disney is so invested in Marvel and Star Wars at the moment.

Maybe you're right though and we'll see something for Indy. It's just an easy IP to milk like Star Wars. But hey...if they do it...they better do it right.

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Jul Tue 07, 2015 10:49 am

theBIGyowski wrote:I don't know...seeing as how Disney is so invested in Marvel and Star Wars at the moment.
TRUE, but Walt Disney Pictures will put out eight films this year, and has a staggering eleven scheduled for 2016. I can't believe the number of balls they're keeping in the air, and adding Indy to the eventual mix - especially when it's a proven money-maker - is a no-brainer.
theBIGyowski wrote:Maybe you're right though and we'll see something for Indy. It's just an easy IP to milk like Star Wars. But hey...if they do it...they better do it right.
I hope they do - I didn't get much out of the fourth movie, and I don't mind the idea of re-casting the starring roll. The nice thing about Indy flicks is they're fun, one-off adventure movies. There's not much character mythology (maybe a bit in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull") that they'd need to worry about "re-booting."

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Thu 09, 2015 10:14 pm

zhoover wrote:especially when it's a proven money-maker - is a no-brainer.
Except for the part where there has been a steady decline in box office revenue, they get record breaking weekends and all but it has been so bad they started counting the foreign market. Hell, now Paramount is toying with release a few weeks after a movie hits theaters http://www.wsj.com/articles/paramount-t ... 1436377631

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Sat 11, 2015 7:53 pm

Expect to see DHS become a very small park really soon. I have a feeling we are going to see a DCA type of change, possibly even more extensive than that. I really think that Sunset and Hollywood will be the only areas of the park that remain mostly in tact. Once you get towards GMR, you'll probably have Commissary Lane open as your access to take you to Star Tours and Muppets. I personally anticipate the Star Wars expansion will consume Echo Lake, the Sounds Dangerous, Indy stunt show. The rumor of an Indiana Jones ride could fill in somewhere in the backlot by Muppets or over where Animation currently is. The Pixar place expansion will consume backlot...

That's my thinking on this for now.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Mon 13, 2015 9:28 am

Len90 wrote:Expect to see DHS become a very small park really soon. I have a feeling we are going to see a DCA type of change, possibly even more extensive than that. I really think that Sunset and Hollywood will be the only areas of the park that remain mostly in tact. Once you get towards GMR, you'll probably have Commissary Lane open as your access to take you to Star Tours and Muppets. I personally anticipate the Star Wars expansion will consume Echo Lake, the Sounds Dangerous, Indy stunt show. The rumor of an Indiana Jones ride could fill in somewhere in the backlot by Muppets or over where Animation currently is. The Pixar place expansion will consume backlot...

That's my thinking on this for now.
I do wonder how Disney will handle the fact that HS will completely become a half-day park. Right now, a good portion of guests see it that way already, but if they essentially cut the park in half they may force guests to go elsewhere in the morning or afternoon/evening. Of course it's all temporary while their doing construction, but it could cause families to shorten their trips by a day or so. I know when DW and I went last year we were there for 4 days total...and we didn't go to HS at all while we were there. We preferred to spend our time at the other parks since they offered better dining and attractions for our time spent. Disney knows there are many others out there like us, which is why they are going to overhaul the park.

zhoover

Post by zhoover » Jul Tue 14, 2015 10:44 am

theBIGyowski wrote:I do wonder how Disney will handle the fact that HS will completely become a half-day park. Right now, a good portion of guests see it that way already, but if they essentially cut the park in half they may force guests to go elsewhere in the morning or afternoon/evening. Of course it's all temporary while their doing construction, but it could cause families to shorten their trips by a day or so.
I started to see where people are coming from when they refer to the 'Studios as a half-day park when I became a parent. There's just not a lot to do - other than stage shows - if you have young children, and that's what I assume/hope they're going to improve upon with the re-brand. My guess is the Star Wars area will have at least one attraction aimed at younglings (maybe a Jawa-rebrand of 'Mater's Junkyard Jamboree?), and the expanded Pixar area will have section similar to the "A Bugs Land" section of California Adventure, except Toy Story-themed.

Or, even better, all original, innovative stuff, but lack of imagination and technical know-how is why I'm a government attorney and not a Disney Imagineer...