Refurbishment News

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Refurbishment News

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Tue 14, 2015 1:31 pm

from what I have read and heard...most of the expansion of Pixar Place will be copies of things from the other parks around the world...so nothing new

Disney could certainly expand on the Disney Junior offerings and that would cater to families with smaller children...and it would promote a brand that indoctrinates the next generation of Disney addicts. It's a win-win for Disney as far as the survival of brand loyalty goes.

Sadly, the days of creative Imagineering that doesn't revolve around a particular Disney IP are over. In the future, the only way we'll see new attractions will be if they are based on a Disney/Pixar movie or character...Lucas movie or character...or Marvel movie or character. (I am speaking to the characters like Guardians of the Galaxy which fall outside the Orlando Universal/Disney/Marvel agreement)

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Jul Wed 15, 2015 3:09 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I'm just not sure why Indiana Jones has to be so prominent in the parks. It's a franchise that although awesome, isn't enough to demand a presence in the parks. I totally understand Star Wars as it is timeless and has 3 more movies planned for the future. But Indiana Jones just feels like a tag-along to keep fanboys happy. Also, as much as I love the Indiana Jones Adventure attraction at DLR, we don't need a copy of it at WDW, even if it is an enhanced version.

I will be sad to see Muppets go away, but wonder if they will still have some presence given that ABC is bringing them back to TV.
I'm on board with you about Indy, and I actually loved all the movies! The Star wars stuff is the way to go! Especially with the new movie coming out soon!!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 15, 2015 9:42 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
Len90 wrote:Expect to see DHS become a very small park really soon. I have a feeling we are going to see a DCA type of change, possibly even more extensive than that. I really think that Sunset and Hollywood will be the only areas of the park that remain mostly in tact. Once you get towards GMR, you'll probably have Commissary Lane open as your access to take you to Star Tours and Muppets. I personally anticipate the Star Wars expansion will consume Echo Lake, the Sounds Dangerous, Indy stunt show. The rumor of an Indiana Jones ride could fill in somewhere in the backlot by Muppets or over where Animation currently is. The Pixar place expansion will consume backlot...

That's my thinking on this for now.
I do wonder how Disney will handle the fact that HS will completely become a half-day park. Right now, a good portion of guests see it that way already, but if they essentially cut the park in half they may force guests to go elsewhere in the morning or afternoon/evening. Of course it's all temporary while their doing construction, but it could cause families to shorten their trips by a day or so. I know when DW and I went last year we were there for 4 days total...and we didn't go to HS at all while we were there. We preferred to spend our time at the other parks since they offered better dining and attractions for our time spent. Disney knows there are many others out there like us, which is why they are going to overhaul the park.
The same way they have handled all other overhauls, detract from what is closed with a highlights of what is coming near the end of the project.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Mon 20, 2015 9:37 pm

Wizzard pretty much got that one right. I think you can use DCA as the classic example of what to expect when DHS goes into the rebranding. I honestly expect something new to immediately pop into the new theater being built currently in the parking lot by RnR. Use that plus stress what is at the park along with the excitement of what is to come and that will be it. I think we will also see more distraction with the Disney Springs stuff finishing up over the coming months/year as well as DAKs stuff opening during 2016/2017 with extended hours starting up within the next year. Disney Transport is setting up for this with extra buses coming in to accommodate anticipated larger crowds and longer hours.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

JenMuse
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host
Location: Los Osos, California (a.k.a. 2,714 miles from the Polynesian)

Post by JenMuse » Aug Wed 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Magic Kingdom® Park
Jun. 8 - Sep. 25, 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean®
Jul. 6 - Nov. 19, 2015 Liberty Tree Tavern
Jul. 21 - Aug. 19, 2015 Dream Along with Mickey
Aug. 2 - Nov. 19, 2015 The Diamond Horseshoe
Aug. 26, 2015 Mad Tea Party
Oct. 12 - Nov. 20, 2015 Walt Disney World® Railroad
Oct. 12 - Nov. 20, 2015 Disney's The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour
Nov. 2 - 7, 2015 Peter Pan's Flight

EPCOT®
Oct. 15, 2014 - Apr. 30, 2016 Re-Imagination of Maelstrom
Sep. 8 - 17, 2015 Living with the Land

Disney's Hollywood Studios®
Sep. 7 - Sep. 10, 2015 Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Disney's Animal Kingdom®
Aug. 17 - Nov. 12, 2015 Primeval Whirl
Aug. 23 - Oct. 19, 2015 Pizzafari
  • 1980-93: Fort Wilderness
    1996: All-Stars Movie
    1999: rented a private home
    2008: Hilton Grand Vacation Club at International Drive (HGVC)
    2009: All-Stars Music & Pop Century
    2010: HGVC at I-Drive
    2011: Anaheim Hilton (DisneyLand)
    2012: HGVC at I-Drive & Caribbean Beach Resort
    2013: HGVC-Parc Soleil & Port Orleans Riverside AND Anaheim Hilton
    2015: Old Key West & Saratoga Springs

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Aug Mon 17, 2015 10:25 am

so glad we will be at Epcot on 9/4 and just barely miss the Living with the Land refurb!

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Aug Mon 17, 2015 10:49 am

theBIGyowski wrote:so glad we will be at Epcot on 9/4 and just barely miss the Living with the Land refurb!
That's great ~ I love that attraction, so fun to see the greenhouses :D

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Jan Mon 18, 2016 9:54 am

Hi! Any refurb news for this spring? Thanks!

JenMuse wrote:Magic Kingdom® Park
Jun. 8 - Sep. 25, 2015 Pirates of the Caribbean®
Jul. 6 - Nov. 19, 2015 Liberty Tree Tavern
Jul. 21 - Aug. 19, 2015 Dream Along with Mickey
Aug. 2 - Nov. 19, 2015 The Diamond Horseshoe
Aug. 26, 2015 Mad Tea Party
Oct. 12 - Nov. 20, 2015 Walt Disney World® Railroad
Oct. 12 - Nov. 20, 2015 Disney's The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour
Nov. 2 - 7, 2015 Peter Pan's Flight

EPCOT®
Oct. 15, 2014 - Apr. 30, 2016 Re-Imagination of Maelstrom
Sep. 8 - 17, 2015 Living with the Land

Disney's Hollywood Studios®
Sep. 7 - Sep. 10, 2015 Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Disney's Animal Kingdom®
Aug. 17 - Nov. 12, 2015 Primeval Whirl
Aug. 23 - Oct. 19, 2015 Pizzafari

jeebz68
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer
Alice in Wonderland Wonderer

Post by jeebz68 » Jan Tue 19, 2016 2:41 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:The Tiki Room as most of you know was planning for a refurbishment. The surprising news is that the area where the refurbishment work is currently being worked on in the room itself is walled off while the attraction is still operating for guests. Half of the room is walled off. This is so unlike Disney

So much for keeping the magic....
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse." Walt Disney

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 19, 2016 6:07 pm

Wow ~ that is really different. Although for me, I would rather be able to see the show, even if there are walls in place that sort of ruin the effect, rather than not be able to see the show at all. I wonder if they are just doing something small-ish so they didn't want to close it down entirely?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 19, 2016 9:18 pm

You do realize that was from 2013, right? :D

The goal for WDW is to minimize closures, if they can keep something running with work being done during the night, they will do it. Otherwise they will incur the wrath of people coming for that once in a lifetime visit they live/die by.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 19, 2016 9:35 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:You do realize that was from 2013, right? :D

The goal for WDW is to minimize closures, if they can keep something running with work being done during the night, they will do it. Otherwise they will incur the wrath of people coming for that once in a lifetime visit they live/die by.
haha, nope, didn't realize the original post was that old. Every day is a bright, shiny new penny for me :lol:

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by figmentaholic » Feb Sun 14, 2016 7:12 pm

Wizzard419 wrote: The goal for WDW is to minimize closures, if they can keep something running with work being done during the night, they will do it. Otherwise they will incur the wrath of people coming for that once in a lifetime visit they live/die by.

I know since we go in January/February every year, there are more closures than at other times, its a part of having less crowds, but still it sucks..

This year the big one was Soarin'. I was so glad it was closed. Also less important were Buzz Lightyear, and of course no more Maelstrom. So sad the backstage tour at DHS is gone.

But for once, Splash Mountain was actually up when we were there, so we took advantage of that. That was nice.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]