DVC...Coming to the Poly!!

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

DVC...Coming to the Poly!!

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jul Mon 29, 2013 1:56 pm

I know there are a lot of lovers of the Polynesian Resort here on Subsonic, and I was wondering how you feel about such changes to this iconic resort. I was very excited to hear this had been confirmed, but I have never stayed at this resort. Actually the only part of the resort I have ever seen is from the monorail. I have ALWAYS wanted to stay there. My thoughts are with the diehard Poly fans, and would like to know, is this going to ruin this resort for you?

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: DVC...Coming to the Poly!!

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Mon 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Ok, you've got my attention...what are they doing to my Poly?!

Just read up on this...can they not leave anything alone?! Obviously the Poly is not broke, so why fix it? It's classic iconic Disney! I'm very upset. If they change the Great Ceremonial House, they will ruin the entire feel of the resort. If 1/2 of the rooms are converted for DVC members, what about non DVC members?!?! Really upsetting!

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jul Mon 29, 2013 2:53 pm

boilerbabe wrote:Ok, you've got my attention...what are they doing to my Poly?!

Just read up on this...can they not leave anything alone?! Obviously the Poly is not broke, so why fix it? It's classic iconic Disney! I'm very upset. If they change the Great Ceremonial House, they will ruin the entire feel of the resort. If 1/2 of the rooms are converted for DVC members, what about non DVC members?!?! Really upsetting!
My heart truly goes out to all the Poly fans who have stayed at this resort over the years. I thought they would add some buildings for DVC and that would be it...bad enough for some I'm sure. I just listened to a podcast and talk about the GCH came up. Now remember they keep changing the final plans so it's anybody's guess as to what the final blueprint will actually be. Because it has asbestos they are talking about completely gutting it. That would be ok by me as long as they restored it to be just like the original. Not so much...if they stick to this plan they intend on omitting the incredible water feature :shock:! Now, even though I have never been in the lobby I know how beautiful this waterfall is, and how it is in a sense the center of the resort. Let's hope they listen to the many fans this resort has, and make as few changes as possible.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Mon 29, 2013 3:09 pm

I hadn't heard about this until now.

When looking at a few sites, I read something about having Grand Villas that were in the Tahitian on-the-water style. If that is the case...how awesome would that be? I think they could do a good job making DVC "wings" on the outskirts of the current Poly property...based on how great they did with Aulani. They would just need to be careful to keep the feeling that you are not on Disney property like it is now.

Also...selfishly...I would love it because I would probably be able to afford a stay at the Poly. The current rates on the rooms are way out of my price range...but if I can rent DVC and stay there it would be a lot more affordable.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Mon 29, 2013 3:13 pm

The DVC plans have been scaled back since the original announcement a while back. The only DVC rooms will be located in a redesigned Tahiti Longhouse that currently has 143 rooms. This means when they are converted to different DVC layouts there will be much less. The bungalows over the water seem to still be in the plans but with less than the original amount planned. At GHC, there are planning to get rid of the water feature due to the high maintenance. A copy of Trader Sam's tiki bar is planning to be at the Polynesian. It was originally going to be planned at Disney Springs, but there are talks of having it at the Polynesian instead. There are even talks of getting rid of the volcano.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Mon 29, 2013 3:29 pm

BB, the Grand Ceremonial House by law has to go through a refurb. There is still asbestos in the walls, and it is not up to code. The biggest change may be the removal of the water fall in the center.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 29, 2013 3:39 pm

But it is Florida, so they may not be as big a stickler as California can be in regards to health and safety.

Isn't the asbestos commonly used in walls the "long fiber" kind that is still allowed to remain? The other, fine particle, kind is the one that always has to be removed until they can use the building again.

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jul Mon 29, 2013 5:21 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I hadn't heard about this until now.

When looking at a few sites, I read something about having Grand Villas that were in the Tahitian on-the-water style. If that is the case...how awesome would that be? I think they could do a good job making DVC "wings" on the outskirts of the current Poly property...based on how great they did with Aulani. They would just need to be careful to keep the feeling that you are not on Disney property like it is now.

Also...selfishly...I would love it because I would probably be able to afford a stay at the Poly. The current rates on the rooms are way out of my price range...but if I can rent DVC and stay there it would be a lot more affordable.
This is exactly why I got excited about this...I have ALWAYS wanted to stay at the Poly, but it's just so pricey. This would at least give me a shot at my dream. And I have to say, if I did come into some $$$ between now and when they start selling points...I'm all over it :ccat:

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jul Mon 29, 2013 5:28 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:But it is Florida, so they may not be as big a stickler as California can be in regards to health and safety.

Isn't the asbestos commonly used in walls the "long fiber" kind that is still allowed to remain? The other, fine particle, kind is the one that always has to be removed until they can use the building again.
I heard Disney has to bring this building up to code by a certain date, and this means getting rid of all asbestos...don't remember what that date is though.

DaRkNeSs
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DaRkNeSs » Jul Mon 29, 2013 6:50 pm

I can't wait as long as the expansion doesn't change the feel of the resort, poly is by far my most favorite resort of all. I would love to buy some points there. I haven't stayed there in quite sometime due to the outrageous amount of money to stay there, I am really excited!! :donald:
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Mon 29, 2013 9:08 pm

I have no issue with them removing asbestos but if they are going to remove the water feature, they will ruin the GCH. I also think it will ruin the entire feel of the resort if the DVC wing is going to be taller than the other longhouses. I was never a fan of the volcano pool, so I don't care what they do there. The original pool was better in my opinion.

We are not DVC, so I don't care about the villas. I just wish Disney could think of some way to include DVC w/o ruining the entire feel of this original resort. Some things are left better untouched.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Aug Thu 01, 2013 1:21 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I have no issue with them removing asbestos but if they are going to remove the water feature, they will ruin the GCH. I also think it will ruin the entire feel of the resort if the DVC wing is going to be taller than the other longhouses. I was never a fan of the volcano pool, so I don't care what they do there. The original pool was better in my opinion.

We are not DVC, so I don't care about the villas. I just wish Disney could think of some way to include DVC w/o ruining the entire feel of this original resort. Some things are left better untouched.
I completely agree. I've seen some posts on DVC sites where the DVC members are very exclusively-minded and want "their" perks for being a DVC member. I can't imagine the GCH without the water feature and all the beautiful plants around it!!! The thing that tells you that you've ARRIVED is stepping off the monorail and hearing the whoosh of the waterfall behind the doors, and then stepping through the doors and smelling the water in the air. Completely transporting.

Shame on Disney for removing it for a bar.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Aug Thu 01, 2013 3:37 pm

cy1229 wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:I have no issue with them removing asbestos but if they are going to remove the water feature, they will ruin the GCH. I also think it will ruin the entire feel of the resort if the DVC wing is going to be taller than the other longhouses. I was never a fan of the volcano pool, so I don't care what they do there. The original pool was better in my opinion.

I completely agree. I've seen some posts on DVC sites where the DVC members are very exclusively-minded and want "their" perks for being a DVC member. I can't imagine the GCH without the water feature and all the beautiful plants around it!!! The thing that tells you that you've ARRIVED is stepping off the monorail and hearing the whoosh of the waterfall behind the doors, and then stepping through the doors and smelling the water in the air. Completely transporting.

Shame on Disney for removing it for a bar.
Amen cy1229!!! The lobby will no longer have that smell either! If only I could bottle that I keep it with me always. It will just lose it's appeal to me. I don't feel I want to stay there anymore, it's ruined. I will just hold on to the pictures and memories that I have. I wish Disney would leave some things alone.

DaRkNeSs

Post by DaRkNeSs » Aug Sat 03, 2013 8:48 am

Disney better not remove the waterfall fixture, it bothered me when they changed the front of the dch years ago. If Disney does decide to remove the waterfall fixture I WILL not be purchasing any points for the resort nor would ever stay at the resort again. My parents, myself, and my children all love the feel, smell, and the feeling you get just seeing the fixture and walking into that lobby is so relaxing and the feeling of we have arrived at Disney comes over you!
Please do not remove the water fixture for a bar! Geez this time disney leave well enough alone please!
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!

cinderella75
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by cinderella75 » Aug Sat 03, 2013 10:00 am

I think instead of taking out the waterfall to put a bar. They should honestly downsize there shops. Think about it? How many shops on 1st floor and 2nd floor? All these shops basically sell the same things. You can also find them at the parks and downtown Disney as well. There maybe be things you cant find any where but the poly, so they should keep that. Guests would be ALOT happier to still see the waterfall. Who cares if poly has a few less shops in order to keep the waterfall?? :donald: :ccat:
When you BELIEVE and have FAITH, WISHES and DREAMS do come TRUE :-)