Main Street USA News (Former Concrete Thread)

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

GoldenBear
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Re: Main Street USA News (Former Concrete Thread)

Post by GoldenBear » Oct Fri 11, 2013 1:38 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:Disney is going to build a new Main Street U.S.A bypass to address entry and exit congestion. The new bypass will be built behind the buildings on the right hand side Main Street, which is the side with the Main Street Bakery. During busy periods, guests are currently directed behind the buildings on the right side of the street. Construction is expected to start immediately.

I like this idea since it will be better for traffic flow during parades and fireworks.
Finally!!

There have been many times when wishes has been going on or even right before it starts where main street is complete gridlock. Our family got separated during one show and literally nobody could move until everything finished, pretty anxiety inducing situation that hopefully this new bypass alleviates.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Thu 24, 2013 10:56 am

Construction has started for the bypass walkway.

My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

laurie5658
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by laurie5658 » Oct Mon 28, 2013 10:09 am

This improvement is going to be so helpful!! I don't know how many times I have gotten nutso with anxiety in the evening when we were stuck in the crowd. Great job, Disney!

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Oct Mon 28, 2013 11:31 am

Anyone seen plans? Will they add access to the Main St. stores, or add new stores? Or is it just going to be a corridor?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 28, 2013 1:47 pm

GeoffS wrote:Anyone seen plans? Will they add access to the Main St. stores, or add new stores? Or is it just going to be a corridor?

From what I have read, it seems to simply be a corridor when they need overflow traffic ~ something with a more on-stage look instead of ushering guests through the backstage areas as they do now.

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by Belle1082 » Oct Mon 28, 2013 1:52 pm

Amy wrote:
GeoffS wrote:Anyone seen plans? Will they add access to the Main St. stores, or add new stores? Or is it just going to be a corridor?

From what I have read, it seems to simply be a corridor when they need overflow traffic ~ something with a more on-stage look instead of ushering guests through the backstage areas as they do now.
Will it be a one-way kind of thing or could you sneak through on your way into the park to get to Tomorrowland more quickly?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 28, 2013 1:58 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it were just a corridor, but that seems rather short sighted since the stores do try to take in customers on their way out.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Oct Mon 28, 2013 6:14 pm

It looks to me like they've taken out some of the asphalt of the parking area for some kind of construction of some kind of building of some sort or another.

How's that for vague? :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Mon 28, 2013 8:03 pm

Here is the same picture with the listed changes that have happened. The first picture is an original image before construction

My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 28, 2013 8:14 pm

Belle1082 wrote:
Amy wrote:

Will it be a one-way kind of thing or could you sneak through on your way into the park to get to Tomorrowland more quickly?
I think it is only going to be used for letting guests out of the park ~ wouldn't a shortcut be nice sometimes though?! :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Mon 28, 2013 8:27 pm

If they only open it up on occasion, then it will probably also be un-themed, similar to the exit they use at DCA (and probably the alternate entrance they built during construction).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Mon 28, 2013 8:35 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If they only open it up on occasion, then it will probably also be un-themed, similar to the exit they use at DCA (and probably the alternate entrance they built during construction).
Sounds like that, although it will be more spruced up than it was as just a backstage area.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Mon 28, 2013 9:51 pm

I remember this passage from the 2005 1/2 marathon, this is how we entered onto Main St. The course has since changed.

Glad to see Disney is doing something about the mass sea of humnity leaving the park at night!!!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Oct Tue 29, 2013 12:13 am

Seems like it is about time for something like this. Even this past summer when it wasn't too busy they still opened up that bypass so you can exit from tomorrowland during the parade. I think there will be overall no theming but it will hide the backstage appearance that you used to see.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"