Main Street USA News (Former Concrete Thread)

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: Main Street Concrete Replacement

Post by cousininmiami » Oct Fri 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:They try film it during the slow weeks, but (from what others say who have been there) it is going to bottleneck on main st while they are filming. There might be bigger crowds for a slower week since they are not totally secret and people want to see the various music stars on the big stage. You might actually have lower crowds on the rides themselves since people will be trying to get on camera.
Thanks Wizzard419! We usually try to avoid big bottlenecking crowds, and we always avoid daytime parades. Maybe we'll do MK on Friday and Epcot on Saturday!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 04, 2013 1:16 pm

cousininmiami wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:They try film it during the slow weeks, but (from what others say who have been there) it is going to bottleneck on main st while they are filming. There might be bigger crowds for a slower week since they are not totally secret and people want to see the various music stars on the big stage. You might actually have lower crowds on the rides themselves since people will be trying to get on camera.
Thanks Wizzard419! We usually try to avoid big bottlenecking crowds, and we always avoid daytime parades. Maybe we'll do MK on Friday and Epcot on Saturday!
Definitely avoid Main Street in the MK on taping days. Otherwise you should be pretty good :D

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 04, 2013 1:17 pm

I wonder if they close the doors to the shops for filming? It struck me as odd that people complain about having to use the narrow path at the back of the crowds when you could easily just cut through the stores, like I normally do when there are bottlenecks.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 04, 2013 1:23 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I wonder if they close the doors to the shops for filming? It struck me as odd that people complain about having to use the narrow path at the back of the crowds when you could easily just cut through the stores, like I normally do when there are bottlenecks.
The problem is that you can only go in or out so many of the doors, and when you get to a doorway there are people jam packed all the way back to it :(

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Fri 04, 2013 2:23 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I meant no disrespect Cardinals314! I just didn't realize that's how it worked!
None taken. It is a big commercial for Disney. They want it to look as perfect as possible for people to have interest in a Disney trip. It's just business
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 04, 2013 2:35 pm

That and to also remind everyone who lives above the 33rd Parallel that they are in an icy hell-hole for the next several months where people die of heart attacks while shoveling their walks, slipping on ice, pipes bursting, etc. while people in Florida and So Cal's biggest concern is having enough sun block. :D

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Oct Fri 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That and to also remind everyone who lives above the 33rd Parallel that they are in an icy hell-hole for the next several months where people die of heart attacks while shoveling their walks, slipping on ice, pipes bursting, etc. while people in Florida and So Cal's biggest concern is having enough sun block. :D

That just ruined my day....lol :roll: :goofy:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 04, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm sorry I can't hear you over being able to ride your new bike/surfboard/other outdoor activity equipment on Christmas day while wearing shorts and sandals. :D

Most people apparently don't realize that the show is taped in advance (esp since they act like it is 12/25) so the 2004 one shows a bright and Sunny So Cal and this was a rare year since it was raining that day. I got calls saying "I can see how nice it is by you", to which I explained that it is taped. :D Could be worse, considering there was that tsunami that day.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Fri 04, 2013 11:00 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:I meant no disrespect Cardinals314! I just didn't realize that's how it worked!
None taken. It is a big commercial for Disney. They want it to look as perfect as possible for people to have interest in a Disney trip. It's just business
Whew! :D

We usually try to avoid MK on the taping days.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 04, 2013 11:19 pm

I think part of the reason the crowds are so huge at WDW is that they have the various squads (marching bands, dance troops, etc.) and their parents are probably making up a good portion of the parade route crowds. Which also probably messes with the hotel room rates since occupancy goes up and the price will too.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 05, 2013 5:07 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I'm sorry I can't hear you over being able to ride your new bike/surfboard/other outdoor activity equipment on Christmas day while wearing shorts and sandals. :D

Most people apparently don't realize that the show is taped in advance (esp since they act like it is 12/25) so the 2004 one shows a bright and Sunny So Cal and this was a rare year since it was raining that day. I got calls saying "I can see how nice it is by you", to which I explained that it is taped. :D Could be worse, considering there was that tsunami that day.
Just so you know, there have been Christmas' here where we have had perfectly dry pavement and fairly warm temperatures :P
When I was younger I always felt bad for the performers and other actors that they had to work on the holidays until I found out that most everything was pre-taped...then I was just envious that they and their families got to go to Disney World for free...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sat 05, 2013 7:06 pm

If I recall, "Fairly warm" for you is like 50, which is dead of winter here. :D

Well... it isn't exactly free since they have to pay their way and probably have to pay for the hotel (since most at the WDW one aren't local). Though, I wouldn't be surprised if the token handicapped one (check the footage, they always make a point to show them) got a steep discount to make sure they could make it.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 05, 2013 7:36 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If I recall, "Fairly warm" for you is like 50, which is dead of winter here. :D

Well... it isn't exactly free since they have to pay their way and probably have to pay for the hotel (since most at the WDW one aren't local). Though, I wouldn't be surprised if the token handicapped one (check the footage, they always make a point to show them) got a steep discount to make sure they could make it.
The actors are probably flown in and put up in really nice accommodations though aren't they? Unless you are just referring to the school teams and dance companies and the like. Then yes, those performers are probably on their own, although perhaps they get a room discount?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Sat 05, 2013 7:58 pm

The talent is, at the same time they may literally only show up for the time they are needed and then leave since they have other stuff to do/they don't want to hang around.

But yeah, you're on your own for the youth stuff. They may get a group rate discount for the rooms/flights, since it would be entire troops.

Cardinals314

Re: Main Street USA News (Former Concrete Thread)

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Fri 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Disney is going to build a new Main Street U.S.A bypass to address entry and exit congestion. The new bypass will be built behind the buildings on the right hand side Main Street, which is the side with the Main Street Bakery. During busy periods, guests are currently directed behind the buildings on the right side of the street. Construction is expected to start immediately.

I like this idea since it will be better for traffic flow during parades and fireworks.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"