Main Street USA News (Former Concrete Thread)

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Main Street Concrete Replacement

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 03, 2013 9:45 am

cousininmiami wrote:Does anyone have an idea of when this will be finished? We're going the first week of December, hope it will be done! :shock:
Refurb schedules list the concrete work as lasting only through 10/4/13. You should be good :D
It's a Small World is going to be closed from December 2 - 12th though so you might want to hit that first if you are there on 12/1!

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Thu 03, 2013 11:22 am

cousininmiami wrote:Does anyone have an idea of when this will be finished? We're going the first week of December, hope it will be done! :shock:
Originally this project was suppose to be already done. Who knows when now exactly. There are talks about doing some concrete work in the hub, but I don't think that is confirmed yet.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Thu 03, 2013 11:39 am

All we can do is hope for the best!!! :D

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Oct Thu 03, 2013 2:16 pm

guaranteed that there will be no barriers and scrims up on the 7th of dec... 'filming!' isnt that the date for filming og wdw's portion of christmas parade?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 03, 2013 4:40 pm

If it is anything like DLR, filming takes place over a few weeks and as they use sections (you will notice that they put up barriers behind things on main street so you can't see the un-used spaces) they actually can work on stuff while filming is going on.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Thu 03, 2013 5:56 pm

That hasn't happened when we were there, it's usually all done on one day, they don't do it in sections, that we have seen! That is the day we avoid MK!!!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 03, 2013 7:24 pm

That is surprising, esp when you can see the empty stage in the background when the wind blows gaps in the barricade. The reason they do it over weeks here is because the talent isn't all going to be there at the same time and they have such a narrow window to film each day since they can't film much past 2 PM (if I recall) due to the sunlight being too different and causing a continuity problem.

Speaking of continuity, you will note that characters that appear in one park's tv parade do not appear in the other's.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 03, 2013 8:52 pm

boilerbabe wrote:That hasn't happened when we were there, it's usually all done on one day, they don't do it in sections, that we have seen! That is the day we avoid MK!!!
I would agree. When we were there during filming they seemed to be doing the whole thing in one day. The crowds on Main Street were unbelievable!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Thu 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Amy wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:That hasn't happened when we were there, it's usually all done on one day, they don't do it in sections, that we have seen! That is the day we avoid MK!!!
I would agree. When we were there during filming they seemed to be doing the whole thing in one day. The crowds on Main Street were unbelievable!
No doubt! I was surprised to find out they add the sound after the taping! It seemed odd, the producer was telling people to cheer and wave but there was no sound! Makes the end product seem fake! Maybe there is no other way to do this?! What do I know about producing???

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 03, 2013 9:39 pm

Because it is fake, the performers usually lip-synch, and will take multiple takes during the songs for various shots, the parade floats will only move about 20 feet on screen, etc. It is an infomercial for Disney vacations after all, so it needs to look perfect.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Oct Thu 03, 2013 9:45 pm

My uncle is actually on of the executive producers of the parade at WDW. It pretty much is a big commercial for Disney. It's even played on ABC which is Disney owned. They are shooting for two days on December 6th and 7th. I would believe that the concrete work will be done by then
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Thu 03, 2013 9:55 pm

I meant no disrespect Cardinals314! I just didn't realize that's how it worked!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Thu 03, 2013 10:53 pm

One huge benefit that the DLR production crew has over the WDW one is the re-appearance of the Santa Ana winds. Since they are pretty consistent in December it means clear, cloud-free skies which also makes continuity much easier.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Oct Fri 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:My uncle is actually on of the executive producers of the parade at WDW. It pretty much is a big commercial for Disney. It's even played on ABC which is Disney owned. They are shooting for two days on December 6th and 7th. I would believe that the concrete work will be done by then
I don't know if this is good or bad.... we are planning a trip to WDW the weekend of Dec 5-6-7-8, does the Christmas Parade filming bring more crowds? :shock:
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Fri 04, 2013 12:47 pm

They try film it during the slow weeks, but (from what others say who have been there) it is going to bottleneck on main st while they are filming. There might be bigger crowds for a slower week since they are not totally secret and people want to see the various music stars on the big stage. You might actually have lower crowds on the rides themselves since people will be trying to get on camera.