Main Street USA News (Former Concrete Thread)

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Main Street USA News (Former Concrete Thread)

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Mon 22, 2013 10:31 am

UPDATE: I renamed the thread to include all news about Main Street USA besides the concrete work

The Magic Kingdom's Main Street U.S.A. is about to undergo a concrete replacement project beginning tomorrow, July 23 2013.
The first phase of the project will begin on the corner near the Emporium entrance. During the first week, that entrance to the Emporium and the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom portal on that corner will be closed to guests. It is expected that later in the project there will be some disruption to parades.

The entire project is expected to be complete in late September 2013.
Last edited by Cardinals314 on Oct Fri 11, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Main Street Concrete Replacement

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Mon 22, 2013 10:32 am

I'm sure it needs to be done but won't that be a mess! Yikes! I wonder what they will do about the parade routes????

dsnymommy
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by dsnymommy » Jul Mon 22, 2013 1:23 pm

I know that it needs done, but selfishly I'm glad that I won't be there when it happens. I'm surprised though that its being done during such peak season.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Mon 22, 2013 1:54 pm

dsnymommy wrote:I know that it needs done, but selfishly I'm glad that I won't be there when it happens. I'm surprised though that its being done during such peak season.
Summer is a logical time for cosmetic refurbishments since they usually try to avoid closing rides and drastically affect capacity. When parks are open 365 days a year, refurbishment needs to be continuous. It makes sense to close attractions during the off season and do stuff like this when it's busy. It'd be a bit unfair to have countless rides closed in the off season AND construction walls everywhere for cosmetic work.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 22, 2013 2:33 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I'm sure it needs to be done but won't that be a mess! Yikes! I wonder what they will do about the parade routes????
If it is done on the parade route then there will be no parades during that time. They might do what DCA did and just have a show that shows up at a clear point along the route does it's thing and then goes back the way it came.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Mon 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:I'm sure it needs to be done but won't that be a mess! Yikes! I wonder what they will do about the parade routes????
If it is done on the parade route then there will be no parades during that time. They might do what DCA did and just have a show that shows up at a clear point along the route does it's thing and then goes back the way it came.
It surprises me that they would have no parades! But I guess what can you do if it needs to be fixed?! I'm with you dsnymommy, I'm glad I won't be there when this is going on!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 22, 2013 4:46 pm

DLR also did a large scale replacement recently as well, I thought MK did too. But I guess not.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
It will be interesting to see what they do. I suppose they might be able to change the parade route otherwise?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 22, 2013 6:08 pm

They most likely will just not have any parades during the time, it will not be good for those who really wanted to see it, but that is how it is going to be.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:They most likely will just not have any parades during the time, it will not be good for those who really wanted to see it, but that is how it is going to be.
I suppose that is true. It would likely only affect a couple of days anyhow as the concrete would only need a day or two to cure. And they could even divide the road into two halves so only half would be affected at a time.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 22, 2013 7:08 pm

If they are replacing the whole thing, it takes like a month or two, working in sections. They might also not be running any of the transportation as well since the street will not be wide enough to accommodate two way traffic.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jul Mon 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Boy! I didn't realize that it was in bad shape. :shock: :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If they are replacing the whole thing, it takes like a month or two, working in sections. They might also not be running any of the transportation as well since the street will not be wide enough to accommodate two way traffic.
Oh...guess I didn't realize it would be that big of a job :oops:

dsnymommy

Post by dsnymommy » Jul Tue 23, 2013 8:04 am

Wizzard419 wrote:DLR also did a large scale replacement recently as well, I thought MK did too. But I guess not.
How did they handle the parades at DLR? Were they just temporarily suspended or were the routed around the construction? I hope people remember to take this into consideration when getting a spot to watch Wishes. If parts of Main Street are closed, people are going to be looking for alternative viewing locations.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 23, 2013 1:53 pm

Just suspend the parades, it is done during the slow time of the year so that they will not cause too much of a problem. If they are going to do it like DLR, they basically put up the giant construction walls around a section of main street and just work on it (usually during the hours the park is closed).