Imagination Pavilion News

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Imagination Pavilion News

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Wed 10, 2013 12:53 am

Imagination CMs have been told that their pavilion will be 'temporarily' be closing this winter. I have no idea why or for how long, but since they don't do refurbs we can rule that out. The unconfirmed news coming from Epcot is that Imagination will actually be shut down for all of next year and Captain EO will be gone for good.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: Imagination Pavilion News

Post by cousininmiami » Jul Wed 10, 2013 9:28 am

I think Captain EO has served it's purpose and the nostalgia is OK to a point, but not for repeated visits to that movie. I did enjoy Honey I shrunk the Audience a lot, and it would be nice to see that again... however whenever I really like something it seems to disappear! :shock: Like Horizon's, World of Motion, The original Living Seas pre-show movie, Cranium Command, and did I mention Horizon's??? :D Sometimes it seems like they change things just for the sake of changing... I will be missing Journey into Imagination if it's closed
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Wed 10, 2013 12:27 pm

cousininmiami wrote:I think Captain EO has served it's purpose and the nostalgia is OK to a point, but not for repeated visits to that movie. I did enjoy Honey I shrunk the Audience a lot, and it would be nice to see that again... however whenever I really like something it seems to disappear! :shock: Like Horizon's, World of Motion, The original Living Seas pre-show movie, Cranium Command, and did I mention Horizon's??? :D Sometimes it seems like they change things just for the sake of changing... I will be missing Journey into Imagination if it's closed
Let's hope they are retooling Journey into something resembling good again!

GoldenBear
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by GoldenBear » Jul Wed 10, 2013 1:18 pm

Speaking of unused pavilions in epcot, are there any long term plans for the wonders of life area? I know they use it during the food & wine festival, but that seems like such a great spot to have left unused for so many years.
Last edited by GoldenBear on Jul Wed 10, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 10, 2013 1:29 pm

That is the long-term plan, for now.

Odds are they are going to basically furlough the pavilion since it is a slow time. DLR does something similar on slow days too, with some rides opening considerably later (or not at all) than the park.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Wed 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That is the long-term plan, for now.

Odds are they are going to basically furlough the pavilion since it is a slow time. DLR does something similar on slow days too, with some rides opening considerably later (or not at all) than the park.
I would agree with the idea it is going seasonal. However, we all know what happens to stuff once it goes that way. Just think about Sounds Dangerous in recent time.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Wed 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Where are you getting this info? I have a close friend from high school that works at the pavilion and she said she hasn't heard anything like that. I can't see them taking Figment out of the park. The backlash they got last time was huge.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 10, 2013 8:28 pm

He didn't say they were taking it out, just putting it on ice for when the crowds are low. Though, considering the low attendance of the pavilion... not sure the backlash would be that huge.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 12:06 am

Wizzard419 wrote:He didn't say they were taking it out, just putting it on ice for when the crowds are low. Though, considering the low attendance of the pavilion... not sure the backlash would be that huge.
To me it might actually make sense if it goes seasonal. Journey into Imagination and Captain EO both don't draw big crowds and the standby times really never go above 5-10 minutes even in the middle of summer.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 1:05 am

It also might be a labor heavy pavilion since it is two attractions, stores, and the play area/shop. Which would be fine if it were popular or the shop did a large number of sales.

I can't imagine they would be finding any interested sponsors anytime soon either.

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Brian845 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 6:45 am

As long as the jumping fountains are still running during the day. I'd miss those, but the pavilion in its current form I could give or take.

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by lonepalm » Jul Thu 11, 2013 9:41 am

This would be a terrible tragedy if they were to leave this pavilion closed for good, a la Wonders of Life. It is bad enough they have an entire pavilion behind the overgrown shrubs and such, but two in one park? In my opinion, I wouldn't mind if they re-imagined the entire pavilion (and I'm a huge Captain EO fan, and I actually like Journey Into Imagination). It is my firm belief that they need to sink some serious money into Epcot (yes, I know, they just completely re-imagined Test Track). Maybe it is because Epcot is my favorite park, but I couldn't imagine two pavilions being closed down to rot. Let's hope it is truly seasonal, or no closure at all!

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 10:45 am

I agree, having two empty spaces would spell almost certain doom for Epcot in the long run. Everything is already spread out really far apart to begin with. Add in that Ellen's Energy Adventure is not heavily attended at all, and you have people skipping from SSE to Nemo to Soarin' to Mission Space to Test Track, through the World Showcase for shopping and dinner, and out, in just a few hours. Everyone here knows that there is a lot more to Epcot than that, but we also know what it used to be. There isn't any way that anyone could have predicted the dumbing down of American culture to such a rapid degree that innovation in exploration and technology would become boring and unpopular. However, Disney needs to figure out a way to adapt Futureworld a little faster or stuff will close faster.

And this all saddens me because Epcot is my favorite, too. Cue Wiz telling us all about the butthurt
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 1:25 pm

I think you are giving too much credit to the educational content of Epcot...

Anyway, it does not look to great when large chunks of real estate are closed but have no plans for renovation/replacement. Wonders of life can be somewhat hidden since it is a lower profile building but the imagination pavilion is a little harder to not notice. I wonder if Epcot is also the least frequently updated park since it relies heavily on sponsors. I think at one point or another every single pavilion (both sides) had some form of sponsorship, though most of them left by the time it became viable to promote online.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Kodak was the former sponsor for the Imagination pavilion before it went bankrupt. Test Track had to be updated because GM couldn't sponsor it anymore.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"