Moving to be near the Mouse!!!!

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

DisneyYorkie
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: Moving to be near the Mouse!!!!

Post by DisneyYorkie » Feb Tue 25, 2014 3:28 pm

cousininmiami wrote: Very interesting and definitely food for thought. Owning a house is wonderful except for all the money and hard work to keep it up! LOL
That's exactly right. That became especially apparent when we sold our home in Maryland. We quickly realized the deferred maintenance that had piled up. We spent alot of money getting the house in shape for sale which ended up being money off our bottom line. As we have rented these homes, we have thoroughly enjoyed having the yards mowed, the pools cleaned, the air conditioners serviced, etc....not at OUR expense! :)
You've got serious thrill issues dude. - Crush. Finding Nemo

foldmama
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by foldmama » Jun Tue 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi DisneyYorkie:

So happy to see a note from someone who has made the move from the NY/Maryland area. My job has been laying off for the last few years and I realize my time is soon approaching. At 59 I'm done with working in the corporate environment (if I could even find a job in NY). My heart keeps telling me to move down to Orlando and hopefully land a job with the mouse and then supplement my income from my 401K.

It's a rather scary thought as I would be moving on my own and would definitely need to rent a 2 bedroom so I have space for family and friends to visit. I know my condo will sell fairly quickly and luckily it was renovated just two years ago. I know I don't want to live far from Disney as I would want it to be an easy commute. I just hate night driving. The whole process seems overwhelming, but I'm so tired of NY and it's so expensive to live here.

I would so prefer sunny Florida and helping people make their day magical. I need to mind some information on making a big move and options available to me.

I'm so happy you are enjoying your new home!

Eileen

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Jun Tue 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi Eileen,

I know the prospect of moving can be daunting but when it's time, you'll know it. I would be happy to share information with you such as who and where we rented, areas to avoid, etc. If you would like to contact me personally, just let me know. Be assured that there are soooo many great places to rent; you definitely do NOT need to be in a hurry to buy. Real estate is very reasonable in the Orlando area so when and if you decide to purchase something, you should have no trouble doing it. Suffice it to say that, for now, we are absolutely 100% sold on our move and would have done nothing different. We are visiting family "up north" now but will be turning to the Kissimmee/Orlando area in August. Again, if you have questions or would like to email privately, just let me know.

DisneyYorkie (Melanie)
foldmama wrote:Hi DisneyYorkie:

So happy to see a note from someone who has made the move from the NY/Maryland area. My job has been laying off for the last few years and I realize my time is soon approaching. At 59 I'm done with working in the corporate environment (if I could even find a job in NY). My heart keeps telling me to move down to Orlando and hopefully land a job with the mouse and then supplement my income from my 401K.

It's a rather scary thought as I would be moving on my own and would definitely need to rent a 2 bedroom so I have space for family and friends to visit. I know my condo will sell fairly quickly and luckily it was renovated just two years ago. I know I don't want to live far from Disney as I would want it to be an easy commute. I just hate night driving. The whole process seems overwhelming, but I'm so tired of NY and it's so expensive to live here.

I would so prefer sunny Florida and helping people make their day magical. I need to mind some information on making a big move and options available to me.

I'm so happy you are enjoying your new home!

Eileen

foldmama

Post by foldmama » Jun Thu 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Melanie:

I would love to talk with you personally via email. I know there is so much I don't know about Orlando having basically only visited Disney. I've been looking online and rents seem to be as high as $1,200.00 a month for a two bedroom down to $600 to $700. I plan to make a trip once I know what is happening at work just to get a feel for moving and if work options are available at Disney.

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Jun Fri 13, 2014 7:13 am

Eileen,

Go to your User Control Panel (a link to it should appear at the top of the forum page where this thread is running. I sent you a private message.

Thanks,
Melanie
foldmama wrote:Melanie:

I would love to talk with you personally via email. I know there is so much I don't know about Orlando having basically only visited Disney. I've been looking online and rents seem to be as high as $1,200.00 a month for a two bedroom down to $600 to $700. I plan to make a trip once I know what is happening at work just to get a feel for moving and if work options are available at Disney.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 13, 2014 11:14 am

foldmama wrote:Melanie:

Working at WDW might not be the most feasible, I don't know that they pay enough to live well down there, but if you live close and can find a job you enjoy, then you can go to the parks a lot :D that is sort of my plan...I just need to figure out what my new career will be!

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Fri 13, 2014 1:20 pm

DW would LOVE for us to move down to Orlando...the hard part is finding a job that can make it worth the move. ;)

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 13, 2014 3:39 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:DW would LOVE for us to move down to Orlando...the hard part is finding a job that can make it worth the move. ;)
Yup, if I had moved there shortly after college when I had planned, I probably would have worked for Disney, moved my way up (hopefully), and been just fine. That wasn't the plan for me ultimately though so it is harder now that I am older with more responsibilities and a more pragmatic approach to what it takes to realistically live there. Wouldn't trade the experiences I have had in the meantime, but I do still hope to get there someday :mickey:

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jun Fri 13, 2014 5:29 pm

With the people that visit Disney every day, week, month, year, What do people do for a living to be able to visit sooooo often. COME ON POWERBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :goofy:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 13, 2014 10:29 pm

Goofyfan wrote:With the people that visit Disney every day, week, month, year, What do people do for a living to be able to visit sooooo often. COME ON POWERBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :goofy:
One of our intrepid leaders goes a lot and I'm pretty sure he works with computers. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Maybe he "fixes" the powerball drawings ;) :lol:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Fri 13, 2014 11:22 pm

Orlando, if I recall, is pretty much two major industries: government contractors and theme parks. So your choices would be SAIC and tourists.

UncleScrooge477
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by UncleScrooge477 » Jun Thu 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Goofyfan wrote:With the people that visit Disney every day, week, month, year, What do people do for a living to be able to visit sooooo often. COME ON POWERBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :goofy:
Yup - that's what we're waiting for. I'm hoping to win enough to buy TONS of DVC points, and basically just live in one of the DVC locations...or maybe one of the nice houses over in the fancy community (http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/). I've got my eye on the Ponte Vedra. http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/neighbor ... loorplans/
UncleScrooge477

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 19, 2014 7:29 pm

UncleScrooge477 wrote:
Yup - that's what we're waiting for. I'm hoping to win enough to buy TONS of DVC points, and basically just live in one of the DVC locations...or maybe one of the nice houses over in the fancy community (http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/). I've got my eye on the Ponte Vedra. http://www.disneygoldenoak.com/neighbor ... loorplans/
Those Golden Oak properties are very nice! I hope my Prince Charming is rich when he shows up :lol:

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Fri 20, 2014 1:49 pm

After looking at the Golden Oak community (online of course) I don't think I'd want to live there. All of us here would want to live like kids down there if we could always stay on property, and I have a feeling that community wouldn't allow anything like that. I see those places being more for events and such where you can rent out the house for a very upscale party or wedding or whatnot. Essentially...it being a place where everything always has to be prim and proper...spit spot!

So I'd rather put that money into either DVC or a house just outside of Disney property...and buy enough DVC points to stay on property whenever I wanted.

Gotta win first though.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 20, 2014 8:18 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:After looking at the Golden Oak community (online of course) I don't think I'd want to live there. All of us here would want to live like kids down there if we could always stay on property, and I have a feeling that community wouldn't allow anything like that. I see those places being more for events and such where you can rent out the house for a very upscale party or wedding or whatnot. Essentially...it being a place where everything always has to be prim and proper...spit spot!

So I'd rather put that money into either DVC or a house just outside of Disney property...and buy enough DVC points to stay on property whenever I wanted.

Gotta win first though.
True, they do appear to be a bit more upper crust. Sort of like when we stay on Disney property though, I wouldn't be wanting to spend a lot of time at the house ~ I'd be in the parks! With the price ranges, it definitely is not catering to the younger crowd for the most part.