Moving to be near the Mouse!!!!

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

DisneyYorkie
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: Moving to be near the Mouse!!!!

Post by DisneyYorkie » Jul Wed 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Amy wrote:Congratulations DisneyYorkie ~ that is awesome news!
Thanks, Amy! :D
You've got serious thrill issues dude. - Crush. Finding Nemo

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Jul Wed 03, 2013 5:51 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:This is awesome! Congrats 1000 times over. :D
Thank you so much, wewantsdaredhead!!

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Jul Wed 03, 2013 5:53 pm

rusafee1183 wrote:That's AMAZING! I am really jealous! I can't find any jobs down there though... Wah wah waaaah

Looks like it will be a few more years for us stuck in PA.
Thanks! PA is a nice place too :) !

rusafee1183
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by rusafee1183 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 6:56 am

DisneyYorkie wrote:
rusafee1183 wrote:That's AMAZING! I am really jealous! I can't find any jobs down there though... Wah wah waaaah

It's only a 2 hour plane ride to the mouse..... but those plane rides are pretty expensive. :wink:

Did the 2 of you line up jobs down there, or are you retiring? That's what always stops me. I am afraid of the job market.

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Jul Sat 06, 2013 9:25 am

rusafee1183 wrote:
DisneyYorkie wrote:

It's only a 2 hour plane ride to the mouse..... but those plane rides are pretty expensive. :wink:

Did the 2 of you line up jobs down there, or are you retiring? That's what always stops me. I am afraid of the job market.
We are very blessed....my husband's job, while it is a contract position, is 100% telecommute. He can work from anywhere as long as he has a couple of computers and an internet connection. I have been in real estate for 10 years here in Maryland. It is possible that I might get in real estate in FL, but not probable. While our youngest does her first year at Johnson University Florida, we kind of want to be free to sample different kinds of living arrangements: RV, vacation rentals, short term apartments, etc. Yes....we are turning into gypsies! :wink:

waltsfaverob
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by waltsfaverob » Jul Sat 06, 2013 11:33 am

congrats...i just need to win the lottery so we can come and go down there as we please...lol

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jul Sun 07, 2013 6:10 pm

Congratulations! Your nearly at the gates :lol: :goofy_bounce:.

rusafee1183

Post by rusafee1183 » Jul Sun 07, 2013 8:54 pm

We are very blessed....my husband's job, while it is a contract position, is 100% telecommute. He can work from anywhere as long as he has a couple of computers and an internet connection. I have been in real estate for 10 years here in Maryland. It is possible that I might get in real estate in FL, but not probable. While our youngest does her first year at Johnson University Florida, we kind of want to be free to sample different kinds of living arrangements: RV, vacation rentals, short term apartments, etc. Yes....we are turning into gypsies! :wink:[/quote]

That's awesome! Congratulations again, and good luck! It must feel so freeing to pack up and go

One day :mickey:

Tiger87

Post by Tiger87 » Feb Sun 23, 2014 10:42 am

Hey..thats Great ..Im moving my family to Orlando for the same reason...Good Luck :mickey:

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Feb Mon 24, 2014 11:46 am

Hi All,

Just wanted to give everyone an update on our Mickey Move :mickey:

We got here in late August and our daughter started school at Johnson University Florida a few days later. We rented vacation rental homes through December 22 and then traveled back north to visit family in WV for the holidays. In January we returned and rented a vacation home until February 8. On February 9, we picked up a rented travel trailer which we tow with our 2004 Suburban. We have visited Lake Okeechobee, Marathon Island in the Keys, Clermont, Fort Wilderness at Disney and are now on our final leg of our trip: 6 days in Fort Myers. We have enjoyoed the "RV lifestyle" tremendously, enough that we are considering purchasing either a travel trailer, a fifth wheel or an RV. When we drop the trailer off on Saturday, we will be renting a home in Windermere. We stayed at this property in October and my DH took a week of vacation. It is an amazing property. Located on Lake Sawyer, there is about a half acre of land, located right on the Lake. While the property is small (2 bedrooms, 1 bath) and it has no pool, it has one amenity that none of our other property rentals can compete with: it has a view of the Magic Kingdom Wishes fireworks EVERY NIGHT!!!! The home has a huge screened porch with a hot tub. The fireworks can be seen easily from the screened porch or we can take chairs down to the lake's edge and watch them there.

Not long after we moved, we decided to go ahead and change our licenses to Florida. That was the only way we were going to be able to prove our Florida residency to Disney so that we could get annual passes at Florida resident rates. Because we are renting properties and because the rental durations are so short, we do not pay any utilities so we do not have any bills in our name. We now have our Disney annual passes and have used them many times. We got them in November and got to see each of the parks decorated for Christmas. We intend to do alot of park hopping in March and April. Our daughters school semester ends May 1 and we will probably go back north and visit family, thus saving a bit on rent. We plan to return here in August for the start of her sophomore year, Lord willing.

It has been an awesome experience and, right now, I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else.

Hope all of your are doing well!

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Mon 24, 2014 12:00 pm

Wow! Sounds like you are having fun!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 24, 2014 12:43 pm

Neat ~ I wondered how you were doing DisneyYorkie. That is great that you have been able to spend so much time in the parks :D
Do you think you might put more permanent roots down this year?

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Feb Mon 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Amy wrote:Neat ~ I wondered how you were doing DisneyYorkie. That is great that you have been able to spend so much time in the parks :D
Hi Amy!

I would say it is unlikely that we would purchase a property down here any time in the near future. Having sold our home in Maryland, we kind of like being "free" and not owning property. That being said, it is our intention to live here at least for the foreseeable future since both of our daughters are here. Our plans are either to continue renting vacation rentals which is costing between 1600-2200/month OR to purchase an RV of some kind and stay in that most of the time with an occasional vacation rental as a treat. While the vacation rentals are a bit expensive, by the time we added up what we were paying in mortgage, taxes, and utilities, the vacation rentals here were on par with that figure. Renting a vacation home means lots of amenities (large square footages, 4 bedrooms, 2-3 baths, screen lanai and pool area, etc.) without all the hassles associated with home ownership. We are working on comparing the cost of RV ownership and lot rent associated with that and seeing how that compares to home rentals.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Mon 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks for the added info ~ it really sounds like an adventure!

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Tue 25, 2014 11:47 am

DisneyYorkie wrote:
Amy wrote:Neat ~ I wondered how you were doing DisneyYorkie. That is great that you have been able to spend so much time in the parks :D
Hi Amy!

I would say it is unlikely that we would purchase a property down here any time in the near future. Having sold our home in Maryland, we kind of like being "free" and not owning property. That being said, it is our intention to live here at least for the foreseeable future since both of our daughters are here. Our plans are either to continue renting vacation rentals which is costing between 1600-2200/month OR to purchase an RV of some kind and stay in that most of the time with an occasional vacation rental as a treat. While the vacation rentals are a bit expensive, by the time we added up what we were paying in mortgage, taxes, and utilities, the vacation rentals here were on par with that figure. Renting a vacation home means lots of amenities (large square footages, 4 bedrooms, 2-3 baths, screen lanai and pool area, etc.) without all the hassles associated with home ownership. We are working on comparing the cost of RV ownership and lot rent associated with that and seeing how that compares to home rentals.
Very interesting and definitely food for thought. Owning a house is wonderful except for all the money and hard work to keep it up! LOL
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°