Disney Springs News

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Disney Springs News

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Tue 02, 2013 11:28 am

I was unable to find a thread that contained news and info on Disney Springs, or as we all call it Downtown Disney. This thread can be used to update recent construction updates and closures in Downtown Disney.

Today it was announced that the walkway that links Disney's Saratoga Springs to Downtown Disney Marketplace will be closing on July 8 2013. This will allow for an expansion of the Village Lake area of Disney Springs. On completion of the Disney Springs project there will be a new sidewalk connecting Saratoga Springs and Disney Springs. The sidewalk from Saratoga Springs to the West Side remains open, and guests can also use boat or bus transportation to get to Downtown Disney.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

rusafee1183
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Re: Disney Springs News

Post by rusafee1183 » Jul Tue 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Wow... so it's REALLY real!! I kept seeing artist renderings, and wasn't sure if it was every really going to happen.

Very exciting! It makes me wish we would have bought SSR instead of AKV. :lol:

BuzzyFan
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by BuzzyFan » Jul Wed 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Has there been any kind of overall timeline for the project, or is it just being announced in terms of constituent changes to the area?

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Wed 03, 2013 3:46 pm

The project is suppose to be completed by 2016. The expansion will approximately double the number of shops and restaurants at Downtown Disney. World of Disney will be expanded as well.

The new areas include:
The Town Center, which offers a sophisticated mix of shopping and dining along with a promenade where guests can relax, refresh and reconnect.
A colorful and thriving commercial district called The Landing with inspired dining and beautiful waterfront views.

The family-friendly Marketplace that will continue to delight guests of all ages by combining new experiences, such as an over-the-water pedestrian causeway, along with classic Disney favorites, including an expanded World of Disney store.

A West Side that provides an exuberant atmosphere with lively entertainment, along with a series of new elevated spaces that provide both shade and an overlook to the activity below.

The Marketplace and West Side will remain, Pleasure Island will become 'The Landing'. 'The Town Center' area will be completely new, built on former parking areas. The Marketplace will be updated, and will feature a new bridge connecting the Rainforest Cafe area to the TREX area. The West Side will have new elevated spaces above the current area.

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jul Wed 03, 2013 8:27 pm

I feel like I read about this awhile ago. Didn't we have a post about it? Something with a title to the tune of updates or whatever to Downtown Disney? I'm having this incredible sense of de ja vu.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 03, 2013 9:13 pm

There is, but it was made before the new name was announced, it's DTD renovations or something. Though it is not as regularly updated as the DLR thread since no one pays as close attention to it.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Wed 03, 2013 10:54 pm

The Pleasure Island area now has a lot of construction walls up:

BuzzyFan

Post by BuzzyFan » Jul Sat 06, 2013 10:00 pm

I'd say that's a Disney quarantine I could appreciate. Interesting to see how this develops!

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Mon 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Construction walls are now up next to Characters in Flight at Downtown Disney to begin work on a new temporary bridge.The walkway bridge along the lake shoreline will be used to bypass Pleasure Island for foot traffic to allow Disney Springs construction work on the Island.

lmnissen
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by lmnissen » Jul Mon 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Has anyone heard anything on the new stores yet? I'd love to see a small grocery store, but I don't think it would draw too many people. Wonder if we'll see some Star Wars or Marvel stores.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Mon 08, 2013 1:58 pm

lmnissen wrote:Has anyone heard anything on the new stores yet? I'd love to see a small grocery store, but I don't think it would draw too many people. Wonder if we'll see some Star Wars or Marvel stores.
There hasn't been an announcement yet on the new stores coming to Downtown Disney. DStreet on the West side does sell Marvel merchandise and is one of the only stores that does right now.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Tue 09, 2013 3:33 pm

I thought they sell marvel Merchandise all over now. Even in the parks.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 09, 2013 3:55 pm

At DLR they can do that but supposedly part of the deal was that the marvel stuff cannot appear in the parks at WDW. At least for now.

yodiwan1

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Tue 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Marvel characters and rides cannot appear that are already in the universal parks, but I am 100% positive they sell merchandise. I have already bought some of it. lol
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

rusafee1183

Post by rusafee1183 » Jul Tue 09, 2013 5:20 pm

I know it's a sore subject, but I would hope that they would bring back the Adventurer's Club in some capacity. There's been such an outcry from people... maybe now that they are rebuilding?