Walt Disney World Railroad Refurbishment

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Walt Disney World Railroad Refurbishment

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Mon 01, 2013 10:38 am

The Walt Disney World Railroad is scheduled to be closed for refurbishment from September 30 through to October 20 2013, reopening on October 21 2013. Permits have recently been filed for work on two bridges along the railroad route.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

GoldenBear
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Re: Walt Disney World Railroad Refurbishment

Post by GoldenBear » Jul Mon 01, 2013 1:16 pm

I wonder if this will effect the park opening show?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 01, 2013 6:02 pm

GoldenBear wrote:I wonder if this will effect the park opening show?
That is a good question. I would guess they will still have the opening show but perhaps not utilize the train. The characters could easily just enter and exit from the train station itself.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jul Mon 01, 2013 7:12 pm

They need to add a little Disney OOOOMPH. to the Rail Road ride. needs some sprucing up and more to see. IMO. :goofy:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Tue 02, 2013 9:05 am

They could keep the train as a part of the show and just move it back and forth in the morning. I want to say they did something similar back when they were building Mickey's Starland/Birthdayland.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jul Tue 02, 2013 12:12 pm

Is it me, or are a lot of closings / refurbs occurring in September, when they offered free dining?

Sorry, my cynicism is at an all-time high today.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Tue 02, 2013 12:19 pm

cy1229 wrote:Is it me, or are a lot of closings / refurbs occurring in September, when they offered free dining?

Don't be sorry, it makes sense. September is one of the slowest months at Disney. Since it is right after the summer months and it is still warm outside, it is a perfect time for refurbishments. To entice people coming during the refurbishments, they have free Dinning. Without it, the parks would be dead in September
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Tue 02, 2013 1:41 pm

September is really the slowest time of the year. There is no one there the first few weeks in December...but all of the Christmas decorations are out...so you can't refurb then. The other downtime is right after New Years until mid February...which is when Splash Mountain always goes down for the annual refurb. But yeah...a TON of things usually go offline in September...especially in MK.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Tue 02, 2013 8:22 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:They could keep the train as a part of the show and just move it back and forth in the morning. I want to say they did something similar back when they were building Mickey's Starland/Birthdayland.
The only reason I'm thinking they might not is the fact that there are the permits for work on two bridges. I suppose as long as those bridges aren't in between the roundhouse and the Main Street Station they could do just that.
Cardinals314 wrote:
cy1229 wrote:Is it me, or are a lot of closings / refurbs occurring in September, when they offered free dining?

Don't be sorry, it makes sense. September is one of the slowest months at Disney. Since it is right after the summer months and it is still warm outside, it is a perfect time for refurbishments. To entice people coming during the refurbishments, they have free Dinning. Without it, the parks would be dead in September
Yeah, I suppose that is a trade-off that you have to think about if it is worth the lower crowd levels and free dining to be missing some of the attractions that will be down for refurbs in September.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 02, 2013 9:56 pm

I am guessing the deeply reduced airfare and hotel rates were not enough, I wonder how many years until they start throwing in "Free passes"?

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jul Wed 03, 2013 9:50 am

At my ripe old age (no comments!) I can do without Space Mountain, and we've never been a family to enjoy the railroad much (except that one time we used it to get around the parade crowd on Main Street), so I don't think this would impact how we enjoy Disney. However, my girls LOVE Space Mountain and missing it would be a major disappointment for them. I don't remember the refurbs going on in other parks at the time, but am doubtful they would be silly enough to have all the thrill rides down at once.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Wed 03, 2013 1:54 pm

At WDW? Probably not since it can be a once in a lifetime trip for many of their visitors. At DLR, they apparently did have all 4 closed for part of a day. BTM was closed for a long refurbishment, they were doing work on the Matterhorn, and splash and space were closed for OSHA violations.

BuzzyFan
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by BuzzyFan » Jul Wed 03, 2013 2:49 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:At WDW? Probably not since it can be a once in a lifetime trip for many of their visitors. At DLR, they apparently did have all 4 closed for part of a day. BTM was closed for a long refurbishment, they were doing work on the Matterhorn, and splash and space were closed for OSHA violations.
Time scale counts, too. WDW/MK could very easily knock out most of its thrill rides for "part of a day," if they're assuming most people aren't there on single day trips (and those who are might be expected to be locals who could more easily come by on another day). Stretch the downtime out, and people will start getting out the torches and pitchforks.

Club33Hopeful
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Club33Hopeful » Jul Wed 10, 2013 7:22 pm

They are fixing the Adventureland Bridge and the swing bridge. Additionally, they will be doing some work on all of the stations, and replacing quite a bit of track.
-Club33Hopeful

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Thu 11, 2013 12:12 am

Club33Hopeful wrote:They are fixing the Adventureland Bridge and the swing bridge. Additionally, they will be doing some work on all of the stations, and replacing quite a bit of track.
From the sound of it three weeks is going to be a narrow window to get all that work done in. I would wonder if they are planning on working 24/7 on this.

As for the timing, it makes perfect sense to me. All the refurbishments are done during the slowest times of the year to cause the least amount of inconvenience. That's not just Disney but pretty much the goal of every theme park. Free dining is just one of the perks they throw in to keep the RFID readers green (have to think of something new now that the turnstiles are a thing of the past). From personal experience, I was down in Aug. 19-27 of 2011 and it was starting to thin out during the week I was there. You could tell the summer was ending for WDW and when I got stuck down there for the hurricane until September 1, I was able to see the parks transform from summer to Halloween. By the first of september it was empty in the world.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"