Backlot Express Closing in September

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Backlot Express Closing in September

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Thu 27, 2013 1:40 pm

News coming from CMs working in DHS that Backlot Express is closing in September, a month after D23. They don't know what for.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Backlot Express Closing in September

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:News coming from CMs working in DHS that Backlot Express is closing in September, a month after D23. They don't know what for.
:shock: Hopefully just a renovation. That is one of the spots we like to eat at when we are at DHS! This quick service is always super busy so I'm guessing it would be relocated if it is in the area where the new expansion is rumored to go.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Thu 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Makes me start to think the rumors of a park expansion have some validity. I start to think the Star Wars area expansion is true.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Thu 27, 2013 11:19 pm

After acquiring Star Wars, I had a good feeling that Disney wanted to capitalize more on it than just the one ride and Star Wars Weekends. We should hear the news at D23 this year

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Thu 27, 2013 11:47 pm

You probably won't hear anything there before it would be announced at a shareholder meeting since that is where any major expansions are announced first to people outside the company.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jun Fri 28, 2013 9:08 am

Wow, this news sounds like it has potential for something awesome!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Fri 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Well it looks like there will be no new announcements at D23 this year. This is a section from an interview on micechat

"Does this mean we should temper our expectations about big new ride announcements during this year’s Expo?

DAVE FISHER, Walt Disney Imagineering: We’ll be using the Expo as an opportunity to really give fans a look into the inner workings of Walt Disney Imagineering — especially in our “Imagineering Open House” pavilion on the D23 Expo show floor. Fans with a keen eye might spot clues about work currently in development, but we will not be making any new product announcements at the Expo this year. However, we have a few surprises in store…"
Last edited by Cardinals314 on Jun Fri 28, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FadetoBlah
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by FadetoBlah » Jun Fri 28, 2013 12:48 pm

They did this a few years ago if I remember correctly, and we all though it was something. Unfortunately they were just changing out the post show at the end.

Or am I completely off base and not remembering things correctly?

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Fri 28, 2013 1:04 pm

fade41 wrote:They did this a few years ago if I remember correctly, and we all though it was something. Unfortunately they were just changing out the post show at the end.

Or am I completely off base and not remembering things correctly?
This is the quick service area next to Indiana Jones. I too get confused between Backlot Express, Backlot Tour, and Studio Catering

BuzzyFan
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by BuzzyFan » Jun Fri 28, 2013 3:35 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:Well it looks like there will be no new announcements at D23 this year. This is a section from an interview on micechat

"Does this mean we should temper our expectations about big new ride announcements during this year’s Expo?

DAVE FISHER, Walt Disney Imagineering: We’ll be using the Expo as an opportunity to really give fans a look into the inner workings of Walt Disney Imagineering — especially in our “Imagineering Open House” pavilion on the D23 Expo show floor. Fans with a keen eye might spot clues about work currently in development, but we will not be making any new product announcements at the Expo this year. However, we have a few surprises in store…"
(Bold added.) Yeah. This. How do folks feel about this nugget?

I hope they'd put more work into those new products than they would into the Imagineering 60th Anniversary Pat-on-the-Back, but I get cynical about such things.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Fri 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Like he is avoiding a shareholder revolt since the people who invest would be quite displeased if they were the last to know where their money was going.

BuzzyFan

Post by BuzzyFan » Jun Fri 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Like he is avoiding a shareholder revolt since the people who invest would be quite displeased if they were the last to know where their money was going.
Are his chances really that good if he avoids saying anything at all about where the money's going? :P (Edited to add... I'm guessing he'd be reticent at a shareholder meeting, too, although I don't know offhand how long after D23 the meeting is.)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Fri 28, 2013 6:51 pm

Him personally, probably not a target, but the board, and various leadership people would be chewed out by angry investors.

If I recall, the shareholder meeting is in Feb or March. Since it is outlining the fiscal year and the future any major projects would be noted in it.

rusafee1183
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by rusafee1183 » Jun Sat 29, 2013 8:11 am

I still am holding out that this means good news for expansion!

Chernabog
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by Chernabog » Jul Mon 01, 2013 9:32 am

More Star Wars!