Can someone please explain the new wristbands?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

rusafee1183
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Can someone please explain the new wristbands?

Post by rusafee1183 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 6:05 pm

I kind of get how it works, but not really. LOL.

I am assuming that they are replacing the old KTTW cards, but scheduling FP's and Viewing for fireworks.... I just don't really understand how all that works.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Can someone please explain the new wristbands?

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Here is the information that has been posted.

FASTPASS+

You will be able to make FASTPASS+ reservations 60 days out from arrival, plus 10 days, similar to resort reservation dining.

The guest will select the park and the three preferred experiences. The system will then return up to 4 groups of availability from which to pick - early, mid day, late, or all day.

Grouping of guests allows one My Disney Experience user to copy the details to others traveling in that party with same FASTPASS+ reservations.
FASTPASS+ allows one park per day.

Return policies will be similar to current FASTPASS - must arrive within time window.

You will be able to modify your selected park until you use your first FASTPASS+. Once you use the first FASTPASS+ you can then only modify your remaining FASTPASS+ reservations at that park, and cannot switch park.

If you do not have a My Disney Experience account setup you will not be able to use FASTPASS+. Old non-RFID tickets can be converted but will be tied to a My Disney Experience account. This will make reselling of partially used tickets very difficult.

MagicBands

Colors available will include: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Pink, Orange, Gray, Purple.

The bands will be shipped worldwide to the guest within 30 to 10 days of arrival.

If inside 10 days, the MagicBands will be shipped to the resort.

If within 5 days of arrival no color choice is available, and gray will be supplied and shipped to resort.

Any replacement bands will be gray.

The band is waterproof, but does not float, and is equipped with a 3 year battery.

Each MagicBand can handle multiple ticket entitlements.

Annual Passholders

AP holders will have the same FASTPASS+ rules as resort guests, with 60 days out reservations, for one park only per day, and three selections per day.
Passholders will be able to add a credit card to the MagicBand and RFID card to allow 'touch to pay' charging.

First replacement band will be free, additional replacements will cost $50.

The RFID card will still be required for discounts.

Parking with MagicBands

The parking plaza booths will be equipped with RFID touch points to validate parking.

In Park Kiosks

For those without a smartphone, there will be kiosks in the parks. All guest relations will be equipped, and each park will also have a dedicated area. Magic Kingdom already has a location setup in Town Square Theatre. Epcot will use the old World Key kiosk area. The remaining locations are to be determined.

If you lack a smartphone or iPod Touch (as the parks have free wifi) you will be just have to go to a booth to read any data on your band. From the sounds of it, they will be phasing out paper media for fastpasses (at least for people with the bands).

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 8:13 pm

rusafee1183 wrote:I kind of get how it works, but not really. LOL.

I am assuming that they are replacing the old KTTW cards, but scheduling FP's and Viewing for fireworks.... I just don't really understand how all that works.
The wristband will replace your KTTW cards and work very similar to the new RFID version.

As for the scheduling FP's, that is not the wristband but rather FastPass +
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 26, 2013 8:24 pm

Nice overview of the RFID and Fastpass+ system Wizz. I think my hardest decision will be what color to make the band :lol: I also think it will be difficult to choose the parks ahead of time. I usually have some idea of where we are going when ahead of time, but that frequently changes once we arrive. I suppose that is why they have the MyExperience app, but it could be a pain. I think it will be nice to have shows and parades included in the FP options. I suppose that will be sort of like World of Color does out in DCA?
Does anyone know what will happen with subsequent trips? Since the batteries are good for 3 years, will they expect return guests (not AP holders) to bring their bracelet back to reload with the newest vacation tickets?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 9:01 pm

I would imagine they just issue new bands as opposed to expecting you to keep them since the average guest probably won't return within 3 years.

Also pick the ultra secret black band, and if they claim it doesn't exist be extra abusive. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Thu 27, 2013 7:37 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I would imagine they just issue new bands as opposed to expecting you to keep them since the average guest probably won't return within 3 years.

Also pick the ultra secret black band, and if they claim it doesn't exist be extra abusive. :D
Well I was leaning toward pink or blue, but now I'm thinking I want this secret black band! Thanks for the tip Wizz ;) :lol:
:mrgreen:

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jun Thu 27, 2013 9:41 am

Wow this is great information!!! Thanks Wizzard!

I remember also hearing something that could be used in the future, like when you pass thru a certain area on a ride or attraction your identity can be used to say hello to you? Is that still something that may be true? Or like Toy Story Mania may be able to use your names above the scores because your band shows you are there. This may open the door to a lot of interesting ideas I think!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Thu 27, 2013 11:28 am

At TED they were talking about a future feature of characters in rides/at meet and greets being able to address you by name. They might not be able to do it because the system uses a web-app and it strays dangerously close to the rules against identifying persons under 14 online. They might be able to get past it, depending on how the system handles child tickets.

rusafee1183

Post by rusafee1183 » Jun Sat 29, 2013 8:14 am

This is great, info - thank you so much!

I would be lying if I said I wan't a little disappointed about this. I used to plan our trips to the minute, like a drill sargeant. ;) But, now that we go so often - we really like more of a 'go with the flow' attitude. I am OK with planning parks and meals at 6 months out, but IDK about FP's

How do you all feel about this?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 29, 2013 11:14 am

rusafee1183 wrote:This is great, info - thank you so much!

I would be lying if I said I wan't a little disappointed about this. I used to plan our trips to the minute, like a drill sargeant. ;) But, now that we go so often - we really like more of a 'go with the flow' attitude. I am OK with planning parks and meals at 6 months out, but IDK about FP's

How do you all feel about this?
I have mixed feelings. I know that you are able to change things once you arrive at the park, so I like that you aren't 100% committed to the decisions you had made while still at home. But it does seem to be taking more and more of the spontaneity out of visits. I think it will be good for the guests who are only at the parks for a few days, but I wonder if some of those same guests wouldn't be ones that would plan ahead anyhow...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 29, 2013 12:21 pm

It isn't so much that you are planning all the rides 6 months out, from what I understand, it is more like bonus passes for select rides with the catch that you have to book them early. So you will still have the normal system but you get extra reservations as well.

How it will work in practical application will be the test. It is easy to book in advance, but the key is remembering to show up. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 29, 2013 12:47 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It isn't so much that you are planning all the rides 6 months out, from what I understand, it is more like bonus passes for select rides with the catch that you have to book them early. So you will still have the normal system but you get extra reservations as well.

How it will work in practical application will be the test. It is easy to book in advance, but the key is remembering to show up. :D
What I gathered from what I have read is that you will only have those 3 FP per day/per park. I thought that if you are utilizing the Magic+ experience, you won't be able to get FP in the park.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Sat 29, 2013 12:51 pm

Amy wrote:
I have mixed feelings. I know that you are able to change things once you arrive at the park, so I like that you aren't 100% committed to the decisions you had made while still at home. But it does seem to be taking more and more of the spontaneity out of visits. I think it will be good for the guests who are only at the parks for a few days, but I wonder if some of those same guests wouldn't be ones that would plan ahead anyhow...
Hadn't thought if it like that. For AP holders that want to visit a park within the next couple of days, they will probably find all of the high priority attractions and times run out of Fastpass+. Also, with Fastpass plus, I would like to assume that the number of regular Fastpasses that are distributed for each attraction will decrease. Thus, harder for people to get those Toy Story Mania Fastpasses
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 29, 2013 2:03 pm

From what I understand, you will still have access to the original FP system as well.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 29, 2013 2:22 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:
Amy wrote:
Hadn't thought if it like that. For AP holders that want to visit a park within the next couple of days, they will probably find all of the high priority attractions and times run out of Fastpass+. Also, with Fastpass plus, I would like to assume that the number of regular Fastpasses that are distributed for each attraction will decrease. Thus, harder for people to get those Toy Story Mania Fastpasses
The way I read it, there are a certain number of FP set aside for the MagicBand+ and then there are FP available in the parks for guests.
Wizzard419 wrote:From what I understand, you will still have access to the original FP system as well.
I'm going to have to go back and re-read some things I guess...