RIP Spectromagic

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

RIP Spectromagic

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 5:07 pm

There's news coming from Magic Kingdom that there were 6 'trailer style' dumpsters filled with the crushed remains of the Spectromagic Parade units. There were a few rumors of it returning in 2014 but now it looks like it won't happen. The Festival of Fantasy is coming in 2014, so Disney probably didn't want to store 3 different sets of parade floats.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: RIP Spectromagic

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 5:16 pm

How surprising, considering how much Disney is like a hoarder (at least at DLR) with the parade floats, I would have not expected them to trash them so soon.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 5:35 pm

I seriously hope that is not true. However, it wouldn't surprise me given how quiet Disney has been regarding the parade.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

rusafee1183
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by rusafee1183 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 6:03 pm

It seems silly to toss everything.

Spectro wasn't my fav, (those little clown things creeped me out) but it just seems like they could have found uses for most of the floats in other ways....

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Wed 26, 2013 7:39 pm

rusafee1183 wrote:It seems silly to toss everything.

Spectro wasn't my fav, (those little clown things creeped me out) but it just seems like they could have found uses for most of the floats in other ways....
Well actually not silly. There were rumors going around that the floats were in disrepair and therefore could not even be refurbished.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 26, 2013 8:39 pm

I've noticed a few posts on Facebook about the Spectro parade floats having deteriorated and indeed having been destroyed. No official declaration from Disney, but some fairly reliable people behind the scenes. It is very sad. I'm glad the music lives on though ~ I love that initial swell of music :D

FadetoBlah
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Post by FadetoBlah » Jun Fri 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Your right, after I thought about it I guess the music is not disappearing. I as well love the misc....

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jun Fri 28, 2013 10:54 pm

I've heard conflicting stories. One says that a CM verified that Spectro floats are still accounted for in storage and have not been moved. Not sure what to believe here.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Fri 28, 2013 11:39 pm

Could be both, trash the floats that have no harvestable materials on them and keep the ones that do.

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Jun Sat 29, 2013 4:32 am

It would take a massive storage area to keep all the Spectrostuff but I cannot see Disney just tossing it away.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 29, 2013 7:18 am

rphillips14 wrote:It would take a massive storage area to keep all the Spectrostuff but I cannot see Disney just tossing it away.
It sounds like the floats that were destroyed were deteriorated beyond repair. Having been on a few backstage tours, it is not hard to see how that could happen. There are props and other things that are fairly exposed to the elements.

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Jun Sat 29, 2013 8:01 am

oh no, I had heard that they were bringing it back in 2014, we were looking forward to seeing it ,since we've only seen the electrical parade!! :(

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jun Sun 30, 2013 8:46 pm

When I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour 2 years ago, I saw the floats. At that time, we were told that the lights were outdated and were all being converted to LED. The plan was to have it come out in 2014. They were in great condition from what we saw, and were actually being worked on while we were there. I can 't see Disney putting money into it then scrapping the idea.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Mon 01, 2013 1:05 am

For Disney (and almost any entertainment company) it is not out of the ordinary to do that, their digital group had a Pirates of the Caribbean video game (Armada of the darn) near completion and they cancelled the game and closed the studio.

Leadership/senior staff changes, resources becoming available, etc. also might have be the reason if the parade truly is gone.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jul Mon 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Apparently this was confirmed by Disney Brass today. I was hoping Spectro would come back for a while, but it's not going to happen.