Peter Pan Refurbishment

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Peter Pan Refurbishment

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Sun 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Peter Pan's Flight in the Magic Kingdom is scheduled to close for month long refurbishment. The closure begins on September 28 through to October 31, reopening again on November 1 2013. Probably for Fastpass+, interactive queue, and new paint
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Peter Pan Refurbishment

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sun 23, 2013 1:11 pm

A month does not seem very long, can they install new queue elements that fast?

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Sun 23, 2013 2:02 pm

If the interactive elements are going to be predominately located where the bathrooms were, then work could already be underway since those restrooms are closed up. There has been news since January of Peter Pan having interactive elements for their queue. October wouldn't be a bad time to implement it

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » Jun Sun 23, 2013 3:56 pm

How can you not enjoy Peter Pan. My kids loved it when they were young. We still make a point to ride it and old foggies. :goofy:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sun 23, 2013 4:22 pm

It has a super long line for a 3 minute ride? :mrgreen:

As much as people decry the new system they have for dumbo (replacing the line with electronic transponders and a lounge/play area) it seems to be better since you aren't just standing there baking in the sun. With the story driven rides it would be a huge improvement though it is kind of late to do a dramatic re-design of the waiting areas.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Goofyfan wrote:How can you not enjoy Peter Pan. My kids loved it when they were young. We still make a point to ride it and old foggies. :goofy:
Wizzard419 wrote:It has a super long line for a 3 minute ride? :mrgreen:

As much as people decry the new system they have for dumbo (replacing the line with electronic transponders and a lounge/play area) it seems to be better since you aren't just standing there baking in the sun. With the story driven rides it would be a huge improvement though it is kind of late to do a dramatic re-design of the waiting areas.
The wait is the about only thing I don't care for with Peter Pan. It really does bring back some nostalgia when you first soar out of the nursery room window! But we go either really early, or really late to avoid a super long stand-by time. F1gment loves the attraction but had a very difficult time with walking on the traveling belt the last few times. It's a rather short load area when you aren't super mobile.
You know how I hate to agree with you Wizz ;) but you have a point on the trend toward interactive, less organized queue areas. I haven't been able to experience the Dumbo waiting area yet, but it has to be better than being sandwiched between whining and kicking children!

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Sun 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Amy, F1gment will like DL's Peter Pan better since there is no traveling belt. The downside is that the exit area is so cramped, that it's difficult to get an ECV up there...she may need to park it at the bottom and walk up the short ramp to the "loading area". since she would be loading in the exit area, she can get settled. The hardest part for Cbog40 was always getting back up from such a low seat in the pirate ship.

It may be under 2 minutes in length, but we always love Peter Pan's Flight!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sun 23, 2013 6:34 pm

If you do go on the ride (at DLR) and there are fireworks that night, you may need to wait 30 mins before you can enter the ride. They need to check the area for debris from the fireworks that are shot from fantasyland.

It is kind of weak that the DMV had a less awful system in place before Disney did. :D

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Sun 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:Peter Pan's Flight in the Magic Kingdom is scheduled to close for month long refurbishment. The closure begins on September 28 through to October 31, reopening again on November 1 2013. Probably for Fastpass+, interactive queue, and new paint
Most likely it would be for the paint and interactive queue. The Fastpass+ readers are already in place at almost all the attractions.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sun 23, 2013 8:08 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Amy, F1gment will like DL's Peter Pan better since there is no traveling belt. The downside is that the exit area is so cramped, that it's difficult to get an ECV up there...she may need to park it at the bottom and walk up the short ramp to the "loading area". since she would be loading in the exit area, she can get settled. The hardest part for Cbog40 was always getting back up from such a low seat in the pirate ship.

It may be under 2 minutes in length, but we always love Peter Pan's Flight!
Good to know ~ thanks! She did park and walk up the exit at WDW's PP, but they couldn't stop the loading belt. They said they could only stop it for Make a Wish kids.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sun 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Oh MK, you just love attracting ADA related lawsuits don't you? First with the illegal screening for the disabled passes and now that...

Stay classy MK, stay classy. :D

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jun Mon 24, 2013 4:45 pm

I know I heard they were making the que longer, but didn't hear anything about it being interactive.
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Jun Mon 24, 2013 7:53 pm

I don't know WHERE they will put a longer or interesting queue-Right now those walking lanes are narrow. I welcome it but unless they build into the street-space will be an issue.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Mon 24, 2013 8:01 pm

The queue extension is going where the old bathrooms used to be. Since the Tangled area has new restrooms, Disney blocked off the old ones that used to be right next to the ride. That is where the queue is extending

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Tue 25, 2013 8:53 am

Cardinals314 wrote:The queue extension is going where the old bathrooms used to be. Since the Tangled area has new restrooms, Disney blocked off the old ones that used to be right next to the ride. That is where the queue is extending
Yeah...that was my understanding as well now that the Tangled bathroom area is complete.

If they do end up going the interactive queue route, I wonder what all they will include. Peter Pan hasn't been entirely relevant over the past generation in comparison to other character/stories like Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse, etc. This could be a way to really explore some of the details and themes of the movie/ride so that you can pick them out during the ride itself.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)