Moderator: Moderators

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: Test track

Post by lonepalm » Jul Wed 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Amy wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:
lonepalm wrote:We rode it on our trip in June and I'm on the fence with it. Love that it was updated as the old test track was out dated, but not sure I'm liking the new one. Seems very plain and empty in the ride itself.
I think I may have to agree with lonepalm, I don't know if I like the ride changes. I have only been on it once in April, so maybe it will grow on me if I ride it some more! :? :?
Definitely a good idea to go back and ride it again...just to be sure ;) :lol:
I haven't been on the new TT yet, but it looks a bit underwhelming in the videos I have seen. I will definitely by checking it out the next time we get to WDW though :D
Yes, I would agree that it is underwhelming (the ride itself). The queue and the ability to create your own vehicle and use it to test is a great idea, but the ride itself is kinda blah.

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

captianbubble
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by captianbubble » Jul Fri 26, 2013 1:36 am

Love the new Test Track 2.0 and I love the new background music! So futuristic!
Disney World Here I Come!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Fri 26, 2013 12:27 pm

I'm going to have to pay attention to the new background music on our next trip!

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Sat 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:I was there in March. The single riders don't get the opportunity to design their vehicles. Fastpass and standby get 5 minutes to design their vehicle. The point of the new design is that the entire point of it is that you are competing against your fellow riders which design car is better. The big issue is that you will never see your car design displayed during the ride. FOr some weird reason, when you scan in your design before you board, it never goes to the corresponding car that you are in. You can compare your design with your friends after the ride, but it is bad that you can't see yours when you ride.
I thought the comparison board on my vehicle (we went in May) was correct. My vehicle showed up on there as we rode through.

As for my overall experience, I did get the Tron feeling on it and do think it better fit the futuristic theme. However, I am a bigger fan of the original test tract.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Tue 30, 2013 7:51 am

Not sure if I or anyone else has asked this yet...

But assume that the first Test Track was never built and this version of Test Track was what you got after WoM. How would you feel about it? Remember too that you are in Future World when looking at the theme and overall fit of the attraction.

The problem with the original version of Test Track is that it quickly became outdated and it didn't fit into the Future World theme. Over time even the original queue lost its appeal and as great as the video spiel was...the fact that it was stuck in the 90s made the ride feel older and cheaper. I have yet to experience the updated version but have seen it on YouTube and I like what they have done. Hopefully I'll get to see it in person sooner rather than later.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Jul Tue 30, 2013 9:57 am

theBIGyowski wrote:Not sure if I or anyone else has asked this yet...

But assume that the first Test Track was never built and this version of Test Track was what you got after WoM. How would you feel about it? Remember too that you are in Future World when looking at the theme and overall fit of the attraction.

The problem with the original version of Test Track is that it quickly became outdated and it didn't fit into the Future World theme. Over time even the original queue lost its appeal and as great as the video spiel was...the fact that it was stuck in the 90s made the ride feel older and cheaper. I have yet to experience the updated version but have seen it on YouTube and I like what they have done. Hopefully I'll get to see it in person sooner rather than later.
Yes, the theme fits Future World better, but like I said before, I thought the ride itself was a bit underwhelming. The ride building itself (during the ride) seemed empty when we rode it. I like the theme and the futuristic idea, but I think it could have been done a little better. With that being said, if this version was directly after World of Motion, I'd be okay with it. To this day I still would prefer WoM though.

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jul Tue 30, 2013 1:01 pm

FYI: The server(s) that the cars you design are on share it with a lot of other systems they use backstage on the same server. Yes there have been bugs and they are working on them (they are on version 5 or higher now, if memory serves). As mentioned the biggest bug is your car syncing up with your ride vehicle but that is usually due to down times, (weather being the big culprit right now) earlier in the day. One thing I know they fixed is the best overall car for the day wasn't updated and was the same for months until a one or two months ago.

As for the BGM. It's right up there with Star Tunnel, IMHO.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 30, 2013 2:10 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Not sure if I or anyone else has asked this yet...

That is kind of hard to call, if they were starting from scratch would it have been built that way or would they have made it more advanced like RSR? They are in a weird spot with this, the ride system itself is still good, it still attracts big crowds (unlike Horizons, Imagination, etc) so cosmetic changes are in order to at least keep it remotely fresh.

It is kind of funny that the ride can't keep track of user's info since that goes back to Indy where the ride couldn't remember which door the car wen through and would play the wrong audio upon your return. But in this case, from what I understand, your token needs to go from the design room, to the ride itself, and then to the post-show area (and possibly further), which probably puts a decent strain on the system when you realize how many pieces of info need to be recalled at a moments notice.

I wonder how long the information has to be kept in the system? Right now it uses cards, but if it goes to the wristbands that may mean a lot more data needs to be generated and stored.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jul Tue 30, 2013 3:06 pm

The company I work for is doing a lot of work with Synapse, the company who developed the technology being used at WDW for the bands. From talking to those people working on all of that, it is very complicated to implement programs and data warehouses that are efficient and effective in using all of that data.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 30, 2013 3:18 pm

That is one question I also had, with the cards used, do the guests return them at the end?

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Tue 30, 2013 3:30 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That is one question I also had, with the cards used, do the guests return them at the end?
Guests do return the cards at the end. There are no graphics on the cards to entice people from keeping them.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Tue 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Do they have anything in place to prevent guests from taking the cards? Such as making them too big to pocket or setting off a detector.

People try to take the 3D glasses even though they too lack anything, if it isn't nailed down someone will try to take it.

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Jul Tue 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Do they have anything in place to prevent guests from taking the cards? Such as making them too big to pocket or setting off a detector.

People try to take the 3D glasses even though they too lack anything, if it isn't nailed down someone will try to take it.
There isn't really anything in place to prevent guests from keeping the cards. There is just a CM at the exit that asks for them. If guests really wanted to keep them they could
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Wed 31, 2013 7:52 pm

We will have to re-ride this attraction if we hopefully return in Dec. I liked the overall update, but can see where some are saying it's a bit "empty". I don't think there was a good replacement for WoM.

captianbubble

Post by captianbubble » Aug Thu 01, 2013 2:55 pm

I used the hotel FRID card for designing the concept car.
Disney World Here I Come!