Star Wars Land at HS??

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Star Wars Land at HS??

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Thu 04, 2013 12:39 pm

They won't really announce much because actual construction for the area isn't supposed to happen until later this year. Check the permit list for the area, apparently people compile lists of all the permits Disney applies for.

jgarmer
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by jgarmer » Jul Fri 05, 2013 5:53 am

Sure would be nice to run over to Hoth in the Florida sun and cool off ;-)

joe

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » Jul Fri 05, 2013 11:17 pm

Disney is quite about Avatar cause they regret getting stuck with it! lol
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 1:20 am

Fortunately, announcing a new land/displaying concepts is still way cheaper than building it and this wouldn't be the first time they backed out. If I recall, back when Harry Potter was really starting to pick up steam Disney wanted to have their own franchise and build a land around it (I think it was Percy Jackson), they did an article on it, released a few concept sketches and that was the last anyone ever heard of it.

Universal does have an issue with Harry Potter though, the author is still alive will not be writing anymore content for the series as long as she has the rights. So that means things will remain mostly static and the series will not be able to attract new generations like Star Wars is able to since there is nothing new to bring them in.

BuzzyFan

Post by BuzzyFan » Jul Sat 06, 2013 10:40 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Universal does have an issue with Harry Potter though, the author is still alive will not be writing anymore content for the series as long as she has the rights. So that means things will remain mostly static and the series will not be able to attract new generations like Star Wars is able to since there is nothing new to bring them in.
Star Wars was fairly static for quite a while before and after Star Tours landed. Episode I didn't land until 1999, but Star Wars was doing fairly well in the Disney parks years before that. Arguably there wasn't anything new to bring in new Star Wars fans during that span, and if you try to tell me droves of fans appeared because of Dark Horse, Del Rey, Varese Sarabande, and/or USA Networks, I will gently suggest that you're absolutely out of your gourd.

Universal could very easily end up doing what Lucasfilm/Disney did, and come up with special edition/modified theatrical re-releases. So long as the books are still out and available, they might not need to come up with anything completely new for the films. YA sections in bookstores will just keep doing what they've been doing, and fans will do the rest.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 10:50 pm

If you are only talking about movies, then yes, but Lucas pimped the franchise out so much for other forms of media/merch that it really never fully asleep. You have to think beyond just a narrow lane. :D

Re-releases are one thing, but no new content means acquisition is going to be tough.

What is a "bookstore", is that the place where you buy "records"? :D

BuzzyFan

Post by BuzzyFan » Jul Sat 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:If you are only talking about movies, then yes, but Lucas pimped the franchise out so much for other forms of media/merch that it really never fully asleep. You have to think beyond just a narrow lane. :D

Re-releases are one thing, but no new content means acquisition is going to be tough.

What is a "bookstore", is that the place where you buy "records"? :D
I'm not entirely confident in how Lucas pimped it out. I mean, sure -- video games, figures, comics, books, and so on, but just how much of a contribution would any of those items be to the popularity of the franchise? (Of course, a lot of those were still being produced... with no new flick. I could carry on for ages about LucasArts, too.) It would be great if those other forms of media/merch had a thundering effect on building the fandom -- because hey, the Zahn trilogy should've had the traction to make movies, if we lived in a just and upright world -- but bottom line, I'd be willing to put down money that having those tired IV, V, and VI films still out to watch somewhere did more for maintaining that fandom than anything else did. I expect the plurality (at least, if not the vast majority) of fans flowed from film to associated property, and not the other way 'round.

Not that I would take issue with someone saying they're a SW fan because of X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter. It's just that I've yet to meet anyone who did. :P

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sat 06, 2013 11:21 pm

He kept the franchise active with regular releases of licensed merch, awful games, books, Princess Leia "love" dolls (Carrie Fisher did not like that), comics, etc. before even getting into new films. So when the new films rolled around the old fans could hate them and the kids of the original fans could love them. The generation after them liked the tv series more, and odds are the next generation will love the new movies that Disney produces.

Potter on the other hand is just JK noting that she is done with the series and not doing anything other than paying for her lawyers to send out C&D notices to anyone who even thinks about breaching her trademarks. That and cashing royalty checks from Universal. Her grip is so tight that even companies that previous licensed the franchise end up having to remove all mention of the products once the deal ends.

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Feb Tue 07, 2017 10:32 pm

Well, we KIND OF got a start date on the new Star Wars Lands in WDW and DL. Disney announced today that both will be opening in 2019. No other details at this time.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Tue 07, 2017 11:46 pm

I am wondering if they are going to re-open the closed off area of what was formerly Big Thunder Trail in the near future. The reason I ask is because they are already pretty far along on the rockwork for the entry point. If they want to do something like ToonTown or DCA where there is an attraction of some sort in the space ahead of the land opening, then it would make sense to work on stuff like that towards the start.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Feb Wed 08, 2017 9:53 am

So underwhelmed at the news of Star Wars Land. Not that I won't try the attractions, and enjoy the themeing, but eh, just not one of my interests. Kind of like going to Universal and enjoying the mechanism of the Harry Potter ride, and appreciating how the whole area looked, but not really being overly excited about the story line or characters. And while I could hope it will attract people to those new areas and leave some of the current areas and attractions a little less busy, I know better. There will simply be more people in the parks altogether :(

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Feb Wed 08, 2017 8:00 pm

It's hard to imagine life without Star Wars. Not that it's that much a part of my life - but that I was 9 years old when the first movie released and I thought it was AWESOME (just like every other kid my age). So I've kind of grown up with Star Wars and even though I'm not a huge fan like some, I do enjoy the story line and have enjoyed the characters. Losing Carrie Fisher is going to change it, unfortunately, and I was kind of irritated when they killed off Harrison Ford.

ANYway, My point in all this is to say that I hope they do the movies justice. I hope they're not too campy or cheesy with the theming. It would be really, really easy to take it too far and Princess Leia or Kilo Renn (or whomever) the snot out of everything, and it would be easy to make it a space land with Star Wars touches. Neither of which would be right. Disney has a history of getting the theming just right, but it seems to me, that with something as widely known and loved as this series, they need to be extra special double sure.

I want to check it out of course. But I am like Amy and don't want the crowds. Need to win a giant boatload of $100 bills so I can just rent the park for an hour and go by myself. Well, ok, I'll take a few friends along. :lol: :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Thu 09, 2017 9:25 am

With Hollywood Studios kind of being a shell of it's former self, I am very much looking forward to the Star Wars Land and Toy Story land!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°