My Favorite Disney Walks

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

My Favorite Disney Walks

Post by Brian845 » May Fri 24, 2013 7:57 pm

Talking about walking from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom made me think of this idea for a topic. Apologies if it's been done before.

One of my favorite/most memorable walks probably doesn't exist anymore. In the early 80s, we stayed at the Vacation Villas in what is now the Saratoga Springs Resort. We used to walk through the woods to the Disney Village (what's now Downtown Disney). It was really very quiet and peaceful, and as memory serves, the trail went past the Treehouse Villas. I can't imagine why we had so much downtime, but we did it on several occasions. There were only 2 parks to visit (Epcot had just opened) and 1 water small water park, so for a week's stay I guess we had time for relaxing activities like this.

So what's your favorite Disney walk?

sfein
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Re: My Favorite Disney Walks

Post by sfein » May Fri 24, 2013 8:59 pm

My favorite is the path between the tran station and tomorrowland at WDW. It's a back path very few people go on because there are really no rides over there. Just a nice quiet path to get away from it all.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Fri 24, 2013 9:14 pm

I like the walk from the Disney resort bus stops to the EPCOT main entrance. There is something so cool about coming around the corner and seeing Spaceship Earth :D And the plants have a distinct smell in that area it seems...

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Fri 24, 2013 10:42 pm

sfein wrote:My favorite is the path between the tran station and tomorrowland at WDW. It's a back path very few people go on because there are really no rides over there. Just a nice quiet path to get away from it all.
That is among my favorites. I walked it a few times on our last vacation this past week.

Another good path is the walkway from DHS to the EPCOT resorts. When not in the dreadful heat it can be a relaxing walk and everyone always waves to one another on it.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » May Sat 25, 2013 7:17 am

My favorite Disney walk is short but very rare... the walk through the castle! It's so beautiful and magical! It's only open in the early morning park hours I guess because of all the shows etc. So if you can ever get to MK early enough, walk through the Castle it's Magic!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 25, 2013 7:59 am

cousininmiami wrote:My favorite Disney walk is short but very rare... the walk through the castle! It's so beautiful and magical! It's only open in the early morning park hours I guess because of all the shows etc. So if you can ever get to MK early enough, walk through the Castle it's Magic!
Do you mean you actually get to walk up into the castle? Or through where the mosaics are?

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » May Sat 25, 2013 9:13 am

Amy wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:My favorite Disney walk is short but very rare... the walk through the castle! It's so beautiful and magical! It's only open in the early morning park hours I guess because of all the shows etc. So if you can ever get to MK early enough, walk through the Castle it's Magic!
Do you mean you actually get to walk up into the castle? Or through where the mosaics are?
Yes walk up to the castle on each side and go under it where the mosaics are! As many times as I've been to Magic Kingdom, I've only done it a couple times. You have to be there early. Once they start all the shows and stuff on the castle "stage", it's too late and the walkway is closed.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

SimonTemplar

Post by SimonTemplar » May Sat 25, 2013 9:37 am

My favorite WDW walk is taking the paved path from Fort Wilderness to the Wilderness Lodge. If you take a normal pace it's probably a 10-15 minute walk. Depending on the time of year, you often have the path almost to yourself and it can feel like you are miles and miles from anyone.
"Here in Florida, we have something special we never enjoyed at Disneyland...the blessing of size. There's enough land here to hold all the ideas and plans we can possibly imagine." ~ Walt Disney

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sat 25, 2013 12:44 pm

The castle also opens up after the last show and the closes again for the wishes fireworks.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Len90 wrote:
The castle also opens up after the last show and the closes again for the wishes fireworks.
Yup, NaCler and I walked through there after the MK closed really late the last trip I took. I will have to try to get there early one morning to check it out. It is really pretty at night :D

DaRkNeSs
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DaRkNeSs » May Sun 26, 2013 7:58 am

Oh wow I didn't realize you could walk in the castle still, my wife will be very excited about that, the castle is her favorite and was disappointed when it seems they had closed the walkway! Thanks for the info!!

Since the early 80's my favorite walk is around the Polynesian resort no specific area around the resort just walking around the lagoon and the sounds, smells, and then to enter the lobby and head to the tambu lounge for a drink and watch the water parade! :mickey: :donald:
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » May Sun 26, 2013 10:12 am

My Favorite walk takes me around the path through Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club. It is nice on a cool day but even better on a nice clear night.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » May Sun 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Walking around the Poly is awesome...especially if you have a drink with you. I also enjoy walking along the Sassagoula River.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » May Sun 26, 2013 3:23 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:Walking around the Poly is awesome...especially if you have a drink with you. I also enjoy walking along the Sassagoula River.
I am right there with you. I love the walk around Riverside and then down the river to the French Quarter.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Sun 26, 2013 11:33 pm

horizons1 wrote:My Favorite walk takes me around the path through Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club. It is nice on a cool day but even better on a nice clear night.
I've walked that and also done the bike around that circle. It's a great relaxing area to walk around.
- Len90