Moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can Cut Lines

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can Cut Lines

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Just saw an article where they are looking into this problem more closely. It seems like people could bring a note from their doctor. We bring one for Mom because it isn't readily evident that she is unable to get around without assistance. I know they don't generally look at the doctor's note, and it probably violates HIPPA laws, but I think most people that have legitimate accessibility concerns wouldn't mind bringing a doctor's note. I suppose there would still be abuses of the system, but perhaps not as much.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 2:58 pm

Most of us in guest relations (myself included) are now denying all requests without a written note. All I need is a note saying autism/bad knees/back problems/whatever and I am fine. Don't bring a note, well, sorry. We don't trust these people. Too much abuse and too many crazies coming in thinking they have a disability. Pregnancy is the biggest one they want it for. I can hardly keep from laughing. :roll:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Unless that is corporate policy (as in vetted by the lawyers) you would be in violation of the ADA since you can't demand proof.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Most of us in guest relations (myself included) are now denying all requests without a written note. All I need is a note saying autism/bad knees/back problems/whatever and I am fine. Don't bring a note, well, sorry. We don't trust these people. Too much abuse and too many crazies coming in thinking they have a disability. Pregnancy is the biggest one they want it for. I can hardly keep from laughing. :roll:
I'm glad y'all are crackin' down. I can't believe people would even think to do such a thing. It is horrible.
The one thing that bothered me when we went to ask for a guest assistance card is the CM told us that if my Mom was going to use an ECV, which she was, we wouldn't need a card because the CMs at the attractions would see her and direct us to the appropriate place. That didn't happen all the time. The worst time was at Winnie the Pooh. The GAC saved a lot of anxiety of whether she would be faced with unexpected stairs or other obstacles she could not handle. The newer attraction queues are designed to accommodate wheelchairs and ECVs, but some of them just don't have enough clearance for turns. She really had a difficult time at Toy Story Mania, even though that is one of the newer queues.
She really scaled back a lot on what she experienced the last trip (accepting that some attractions just weren't something she could handle ~ it really kills her not to be able to go on Pirates of the Caribbean. That used to be one of her favorites) so the GAC allowed us to let her experience what she could to the fullest.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Well F1gment will be glad to know POTC is getting a new GAC policy and line as of this week so I hope that will help her in the future. :)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 3:46 pm

I think the safest policy Disney can take since there are so many legal issues (such as you can't demand proof/notes) is what they are doing now, checking for ads offering that service, sending warning letters to the people, and banning them if they are caught using the system as a tour.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 3:50 pm

I think the safest policy is getting rid of the GAC altogether since it isn't necessary with ADA guidelines and we likely are phasing it out but what do I know? :roll:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 3:54 pm

It probably would be, but yeah I suggest if legal hadn't authorized you to compel proof from guests for the pass that you stop it (and tell your friends) because if someone files a complaint with the DOJ about the violation you could end up hurting your career with Disney.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Well F1gment will be glad to know POTC is getting a new GAC policy and line as of this week so I hope that will help her in the future. :)
Unless they are making the boats wheelchair accessible as well, then sadly it won't. She can't step down that big of a step anymore. She was pretty tickled to be able to go on the Jungle Cruise though ~ she thought it was pretty fun, but that loading process was scary to me! :shock:

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jun Sat 15, 2013 5:01 pm

Before our visit in 2004, my niece had ankle surgery and needed to use an ECV. I had broken my leg a few months earlier, but ended up being ok on my feet. I just don't know how these people live with themselves doing this...they have no conscience what so ever. The cast members were so good to us, and we had no proof that she really needed the ECV since she had no cast. Look what these people have done :twisted:. Disney has always been so accommodating to those with disabilities, and I believe they still will be, but first thoughts are going to be, are they just trying to get away with something? Not to mention some of the other guests who used give you the evil eye even before this story hit the news :roll:.

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jun Sat 15, 2013 5:21 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Considering it is the post, I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Anyway, Disney already offers that service without having to make use of the handicapped. They have "tours" that basically consist of them letting you in the rides via the exits.
But if you read down in the article, you'll see that the cost of the "tours" is $350 to $400 per hour, while the "handicapped" guides run $130 per hour. Less than half. The wealthy didn't get that way by paying more than they have to for something.

This is the negative side to a free-market economy. Well, almost free market. Nevertheless, I think Disney can counteract this kind of thing by allowing disabled guests access through a special entrance that bypasses the queue, where they can sit in their scooters or wheelchairs and wait for the rest of their family to catch up to them. In other words, "skip the line" only for the guest that is actually disabled, and require the rest of the family to go through the queue while the disabled guest waits. It wouldn't surprise me if Disney changes the policy after this story becomes more wide-spread, similarly to the way FastPass rules were more stringently enforced after significant complaining about the long lines at the end of the day.
I don't think the disabled person should be separated from their family...it sounds so much like a punishment. They are on vacation to be together, (well, usually :D), so if the line is a long one they could be separated for quite some time. What if it is a child? Do people really need to be getting upset because someone is getting on Peter Pan before they are, and they didn't have to wait in line? Isn't that what fast pass is for? It sounds childish to me. However, it"s just pure evil, I believe, to fake a disability for any reason. I'm sure Disney will find a way to weed out some of these morons.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Thinking about it further, they probably won't do anything to the system they have in place because of a few big reasons. The first is that these are still isolated incidents at the parks and there may only be a few on the entire property abusing the system and as it isn't cheap most people won't consider it. The articles and segments make it look rampant but in reality you most likely see a greater percentage of people abusing the system via wheelchair rentals than anything else. The other reason is that anything they would do at the distribution level would negatively impact people who normally would be qualified and there is no win there.

When you are talking about a protected group, you always have to tread lightly and expect some level of fraud.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 8:33 pm

I believe that every disabled person visiting Disney should have to have a list of 5 people that is given to Disney before their trip. These 5 people would be allowed to go with that person for one year. Anyone else that isn't on that list would not be allowed to ride with that disabled person. The use of "tour guides" would drop dramatically in the park.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 8:42 pm

But isn't that way more tedious since it would require all the parks and, presumably, all the rides/shows have to keep a record of this? Plus the issue of verification for minors/people without valid ID... probably the best solution is just to ban them when caught which has probably cut down on the tiny number of them to begin with.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Sharonofwindham wrote:Before our visit in 2004, my niece had ankle surgery and needed to use an ECV. I had broken my leg a few months earlier, but ended up being ok on my feet. I just don't know how these people live with themselves doing this...they have no conscience what so ever. The cast members were so good to us, and we had no proof that she really needed the ECV since she had no cast. Look what these people have done :twisted:. Disney has always been so accommodating to those with disabilities, and I believe they still will be, but first thoughts are going to be, are they just trying to get away with something? Not to mention some of the other guests who used give you the evil eye even before this story hit the news :roll:.
Exactly. We (or at least I) had to become immune to the tsks and stares while we would get Mom onboard the buses in the morning. Yes, we got on first, but we had to wait until every other person disembarked at the parks or hotels before we could get off the bus. It just shows that unless you have been in the situation, it is easy to be impatient and not try to imagine what others are going through.
Wizzard419 wrote:Thinking about it further, they probably won't do anything to the system they have in place because of a few big reasons. The first is that these are still isolated incidents at the parks and there may only be a few on the entire property abusing the system and as it isn't cheap most people won't consider it. The articles and segments make it look rampant but in reality you most likely see a greater percentage of people abusing the system via wheelchair rentals than anything else. The other reason is that anything they would do at the distribution level would negatively impact people who normally would be qualified and there is no win there.

When you are talking about a protected group, you always have to tread lightly and expect some level of fraud.
You have a point that the rent-a-GAC-tour guide is probably not widespread, and hopefully they will clamp down on the repeat offenders!
And yes, I believe there is a lot of abuse through the wheelchair rentals, but that is on the guests' conscience is the way I look at it.