Moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can Cut Lines

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: Moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can Cut Lines

Post by cousininmiami » May Tue 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It is the same with the tours, if you have 10 people that want in you can do it for about $30/person per hour. For the catered snack boat illuminations I think it was like $50/person if you were running at the max capacity of 8.
You know, that does sound like a lot of fun and not that cost prohibitive! Over the years we have taken many of the tours, but have never done the Illuminations boat event. I'd like to add that to my wish list please!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 14, 2013 8:38 pm

They also have a meal service option, so if you want dinner from a specific Disney place (or I would imagine any dish they can create) they will make it happen... for a price.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 14, 2013 8:45 pm

cousininmiami wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:It is the same with the tours, if you have 10 people that want in you can do it for about $30/person per hour. For the catered snack boat illuminations I think it was like $50/person if you were running at the max capacity of 8.
You know, that does sound like a lot of fun and not that cost prohibitive! Over the years we have taken many of the tours, but have never done the Illuminations boat event. I'd like to add that to my wish list please!
I looked into this a few trips ago. We would definitely have to go with a group to spread out the cost, but it would be something fun. The only drawback I have read about it that you are sort of at the mercy of the winds, you could end up with a poor view if the winds aren't right. Although you would think the captain of the boat could move if necessary! Here is the link to the fireworks cruises ~ http://www.wdwinfo.com/recreation/fireworks.htm Anyone else find it odd that it costs an additional $54 to have the show's audio piped onto the pontoon?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 14, 2013 9:07 pm

That is a different cruise, the illuminations one is a "secret" cruise, I forgot what you need to book it as. But basically your cruise of the channel between DHS and Epcot (suck it, nerds) is really just them parking the boat right at the entrance to the world showcase lagoon.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:That is a different cruise, the illuminations one is a "secret" cruise, I forgot what you need to book it as. But basically your cruise of the channel between DHS and Epcot (suck it, nerds) is really just them parking the boat right at the entrance to the world showcase lagoon.
If you scroll down a little, there is the Illuminations cruise...unless you are talking about a different one.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 14, 2013 9:30 pm

The music and wind issues don't show up for the illuminations one, they do show up for the MK cruise that is on the 7 seas lagoon.

BenB
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by BenB » May Wed 15, 2013 12:44 am

I saw this story earlier today. But here's the thing: I'm not mad at these moms. They're just not very smart.

We'll ignore for a moment the easiest way to skip lines (go in the off season, few or no lines). I've been to Disney with my mom in a wheelchair. The staff is very accommodating and goes out of their way to help, as one would expect - but it's just not better. In fact, I'd rather go without. The chair just got in the way. Most rides, you still wait in the regular line before transferring near the end. And when you skip the lines, it's usually to get the worst seat in the house. You're way in the back or the side, and often there are effects that everyone else feels (like seat motion) that aren't included in the handicap section.

The people paying thousands of dollars to fake a handicap are idiots. As some here have already suggested, if money is really no object, just hire a Disney VIP tour guide. Then you get to skip every line and get the best seats, as well as door-to-door transportation, a tour guide trained by Disney, and a host of other benefits. Duh.
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » May Wed 15, 2013 4:56 pm

WOW!!! Only to have that kind of money to spend.... :roll: :goofy:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » May Thu 16, 2013 8:16 am

I know someone here has said it...probably Wiz...but the moms aren't the problem. The problem is that you have people with disabilities gaming the system in order to make money. These aren't poor disabled people being taken advantage of. This is a business they knowingly and willingly created and took part in. So if you are going to be mad at anyone...be mad at the people making the money here. I just think we've got the wrong idea making these moms and their kids out to be evil and manipulative people.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Thu 16, 2013 9:06 am

theBIGyowski wrote:I know someone here has said it...probably Wiz...but the moms aren't the problem. The problem is that you have people with disabilities gaming the system in order to make money. These aren't poor disabled people being taken advantage of. This is a business they knowingly and willingly created and took part in. So if you are going to be mad at anyone...be mad at the people making the money here. I just think we've got the wrong idea making these moms and their kids out to be evil and manipulative people.
My biggest beef with these parents is that they're teaching their children that having money makes them somehow more special, or more important, than those who don't have that kind of money to spend. It's a perpetuation of the spoiled, rich, brat. Everyone, rich, poor, or somewhere in between, knows that a person is a person is a person. Having money to spend on nice things is nice, no doubt. But it doesn't mean that person is more important. However, by buying their way to the front of the line, these parents are teaching their kids that they're above ordinary people. Even if they don't say so, kids are going to pick up on that. THAT is what I find most reprehensible.

But you're right, that someone with a disability can be bought is pathetic. Some would argue that these disabled tour guides are just carving a niche for themselves, legally providing a service. But what is right in business and by the law isn't always ethical or moral. Shame on these who use their disabilities to take advantage of wealthy clients and put others at a disadvantage.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » May Thu 16, 2013 10:31 am

Anyone with money can buy a private VIP tour guide that is with them for the duration of their stay. So...this new revelation that disabled people are providing something similar for a fraction of the cost doesn't really do anything different. Walt himself used to give VIP tours to people visiting Disneyland...most of the time it was CEOs of the corporations investing in Disneyland.

I see no problems with people paying other people to give them a better experience at the Disney parks...as long as Disney allows it. I just think that 90% of people have the wrong response to this story by feeling sorry for the people with disabilities...because they are the ones who thought up the idea, promoted it, and are making money off of it. Now I see no problems being mad at people who are not disabled who claim to be...as they are in the wrong...but that is a different topic.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Thu 16, 2013 11:20 am

cy1229 wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:I know someone here has said it...probably Wiz...but the moms aren't the problem. The problem is that you have people with disabilities gaming the system in order to make money. These aren't poor disabled people being taken advantage of. This is a business they knowingly and willingly created and took part in. So if you are going to be mad at anyone...be mad at the people making the money here. I just think we've got the wrong idea making these moms and their kids out to be evil and manipulative people.
My biggest beef with these parents is that they're teaching their children that having money makes them somehow more special, or more important, than those who don't have that kind of money to spend. It's a perpetuation of the spoiled, rich, brat. Everyone, rich, poor, or somewhere in between, knows that a person is a person is a person. Having money to spend on nice things is nice, no doubt. But it doesn't mean that person is more important. However, by buying their way to the front of the line, these parents are teaching their kids that they're above ordinary people. Even if they don't say so, kids are going to pick up on that. THAT is what I find most reprehensible.

But you're right, that someone with a disability can be bought is pathetic. Some would argue that these disabled tour guides are just carving a niche for themselves, legally providing a service. But what is right in business and by the law isn't always ethical or moral. Shame on these who use their disabilities to take advantage of wealthy clients and put others at a disadvantage.
But that is exactly hour our society and at least the western world works. Disney also feels the same way, they only care as much as you can pay. It isn't like you could just walk up one day and be let in for free.

You say it puts others at a disadvantage, but who is actually suffering? It is such an isolated number that Disney won't be modifying policy. Literally the only people who will feel it are the VIP tour guides who may not be scheduled for a day. People waiting in line will only end up having to wait for another car to show up.

fancyfeet
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by fancyfeet » May Sun 19, 2013 1:03 pm

It's one thing for the people being honest about having a handicap person with them to cut the lines, but for people to be hiring people just so THEY can cut the lines is disgusting. Wait your turn like all the rest of us or stay home!

CapnBarbosa
Main Street Horse Car Coachman
Main Street Horse Car Coachman

Post by CapnBarbosa » May Thu 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Hate it when folks abuse something created to help people who honestly need it.

Our daughter has Down Syndrome and we are adopting another girl who also has DS, so we're anticipating using the Pass in the future. We were just at WDW a few weeks ago and she really handled the lines well, so we waited in line simply to be fair and not abuse a great system. Hope it's still available in the coming years because we've heard great things about it.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Jun Wed 12, 2013 3:05 pm

This is an awful thing to do. The Today show did a followup to this story at the end of May. The video is worth watching in the link

http://www.today.com/news/undercover-di ... 6C10131266
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"