Moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can Cut Lines

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

jgarmer
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can Cut Lines

Post by jgarmer » May Tue 14, 2013 9:29 am

Rich Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can cut lines at Disney World

I thought this was going on. Some NY people have no shame.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manh ... Vc1zItXGDP

WVParkfan
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Re: Moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can Cut Lines

Post by WVParkfan » May Tue 14, 2013 11:14 am

That's pathetic... on both sides.
April, 1998 Coronado Springs
April, 2001 Coronado Springs
January, 2004 All-Star Sports
July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
April, 2006 Pop Century
December, 2006 All-Star Sports
March, 2008 All-Star Movies
April, 2009 All-Star Music
August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort
August, 2014 Off Property - Caribe Royale

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 14, 2013 11:20 am

Considering it is the post, I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Anyway, Disney already offers that service without having to make use of the handicapped. They have "tours" that basically consist of them letting you in the rides via the exits.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » May Tue 14, 2013 11:34 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Considering it is the post, I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

Anyway, Disney already offers that service without having to make use of the handicapped. They have "tours" that basically consist of them letting you in the rides via the exits.
But if you read down in the article, you'll see that the cost of the "tours" is $350 to $400 per hour, while the "handicapped" guides run $130 per hour. Less than half. The wealthy didn't get that way by paying more than they have to for something.

This is the negative side to a free-market economy. Well, almost free market. Nevertheless, I think Disney can counteract this kind of thing by allowing disabled guests access through a special entrance that bypasses the queue, where they can sit in their scooters or wheelchairs and wait for the rest of their family to catch up to them. In other words, "skip the line" only for the guest that is actually disabled, and require the rest of the family to go through the queue while the disabled guest waits. It wouldn't surprise me if Disney changes the policy after this story becomes more wide-spread, similarly to the way FastPass rules were more stringently enforced after significant complaining about the long lines at the end of the day.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 14, 2013 11:54 am

But they also get less for that 130 since newer attractions (and renovated ones) are also ADA compliant which means that the handicapped have to wait in most or all of the line.

They will probably just ban the guides for abuse of the system. They probably will not do anything like you suggested because this is an isolated and possibly unsubstantiated story (again, the post said a black guy bombed Boston and if I recall they were the ones that darkened the skin of the actual suspects) because it would involve a form of punishment for the disabled by having to sit and wait for someone to walk through the line. It is similar to the child swap, but it would look a lot worse to have a holding area to keep the handicapped.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » May Tue 14, 2013 12:55 pm

You assume the handicapped person can be "kept" in a holding area. My Sister is 48-yrs old and very Autistic, (doesn't even talk, can't take care of herself in any way at all) but my parents have cared for her at home for all 48 years. But while in WDW, she is usually ok... we just keep her moving along! If it weren't for the Guest Assistance Pass, my parents would never be able to go to WDW with us once a year. So, she cannot be left alone while everyone else goes through a line.

WDW is my Sister's "happy place". However, she cannot wait in lines or be near a lot of people and commotion. So, the Guest Assistance Pass allows all of us to be together and slip in to a ride un-noticed. She really loves Soarin, Pirates and The People mover.

Trust me this is not abused by our family. We don't ride most of the rides when we are there with them. We enjoy being together, ride a few rides each day and for once my parents can enjoy a day without my Sister flipping out! I'm sure this is the case for most people with Handicapped family members. The people that will abuse the system are very few I am sure.

Sorry for getting on my high horse about this, but as the Sister of a severely handicapped person my whole life, I am sensitive.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » May Tue 14, 2013 1:15 pm

cousininmiami wrote:You assume the handicapped person can be "kept" in a holding area. My Sister is 48-yrs old and very Autistic, (doesn't even talk, can't take care of herself in any way at all) but my parents have cared for her at home for all 48 years. But while in WDW, she is usually ok... we just keep her moving along! If it weren't for the Guest Assistance Pass, my parents would never be able to go to WDW with us once a year. So, she cannot be left alone while everyone else goes through a line.

WDW is my Sister's "happy place". However, she cannot wait in lines or be near a lot of people and commotion. So, the Guest Assistance Pass allows all of us to be together and slip in to a ride un-noticed. She really loves Soarin, Pirates and The People mover.

Trust me this is not abused by our family. We don't ride most of the rides when we are there with them. We enjoy being together, ride a few rides each day and for once my parents can enjoy a day without my Sister flipping out! I'm sure this is the case for most people with Handicapped family members. The people that will abuse the system are very few I am sure.

Sorry for getting on my high horse about this, but as the Sister of a severely handicapped person my whole life, I am sensitive.
I'm so sorry if I came off as implying that families like yours who truly need this kind of accommodation are abusing it. That was NOT my intention AT ALL. That Disney is so accommodating of people who come - regardless of physical or other capabilities - is great, and it's because of that willingness to accommodate them that a system of abuse like the one detailed in the article has come to be.

I understand that the Post often exaggerates or even fabricates stuff to their liking, but my experience has been that rumors often have a kernel of truth. I'm pretty sure this story is yet to completely unfold and it's not the last we've heard of it.

It would be unfortunate if families like yours, cousininmiami, were made to suffer the consequences of abusers if Disney changed their policies like I suggested. I guess a modification of it could be that the CM has discretion, but that would lead to a whole can of beans no one wants to open.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Yes, but at the same time it is no different from the people that rent a wheelchair when they do not need it, as a means of skipping lines. Disney knows it goes on and as they can't make you prove you need the wheelchair (that would be so much bad PR it would not be worth it) they made changes so that they can wait in most/all of the line.

I can also turn this scenario a different way, handicapped people do have protections against hiring discrimination but they still may have trouble with finding fulfilling employment as enforcement is nearly impossible and unrewarding. So they found a career that allows them to have some income and possibly a feeling of accomplishment, so who are we to tell them they are bad people?

I wonder how much you can actually do in a single day with them vs the staff run tour? With the staff one, you can (if you really want) get on all the rides and do all the stuff as you will be on a tight schedule and they will be able to use backstage and private transportation. With the other tour, they will be limited to public areas and transport.

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » May Tue 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Disney walks a slippery slope I am sure on all of these things every day. I suppose what they assume is that the majority of people are good, the few that are not will always find a way to slip through the cracks.

The CM's are always so nice to my Sister! I love seeing her smile at WDW, it's awesome and amazing. If she does something weird to attract attention... then I do the same thing! Like spinning around or clapping, I have done it my whole life with her! So if you ever run across a couple of women acting strange... it just might be me! :-)
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » May Tue 14, 2013 3:14 pm

Reading that someone rents handycapped people to skip lines makes me sad. But I also think that there are only a few people who do that.

I had a nephew who was handycapped and passed away in 2010 so I have no understanding for those people.

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by Goofyfan » May Tue 14, 2013 4:56 pm

My wife is handicapped and we do use some of the assistance at WDW. But if my wife's wheel chair can fit through the line. that is what we do. Like Soarin' and EE. Irks the Heck out of me when people abuse the system. :twisted:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 14, 2013 7:35 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:...With the staff one, you can (if you really want) get on all the rides and do all the stuff as you will be on a tight schedule and they will be able to use backstage and private transportation. With the other tour, they will be limited to public areas and transport.
Do the VIP tours, of regular folks who pay for the tour as opposed to celebrities, actually skip lines and use private transportation?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 14, 2013 7:48 pm

Yep, if you want it and are willing to pay for it, they will make it happen. Such as the private boat viewing (with catering) for illuminations. For the right price you can also fight a giraffe.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Yep, if you want it and are willing to pay for it, they will make it happen. Such as the private boat viewing (with catering) for illuminations. For the right price you can also fight a giraffe.
I suppose that is why there is a price range for the VIP tours then huh? Renting a boat isn't all that expensive...especially if you spread it out over a group. Guess I don't have to worry about it as I don't live in that 1%.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 14, 2013 8:03 pm

It is the same with the tours, if you have 10 people that want in you can do it for about $30/person per hour. For the catered snack boat illuminations I think it was like $50/person if you were running at the max capacity of 8.