Moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can Cut Lines

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Moms hire handicapped tour guides so kids can Cut Lines

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Cardinals314 wrote:I believe that every disabled person visiting Disney should have to have a list of 5 people that is given to Disney before their trip. These 5 people would be allowed to go with that person for one year. Anyone else that isn't on that list would not be allowed to ride with that disabled person. The use of "tour guides" would drop dramatically in the park.
I sort of like this idea. Or at the very least, have the allowable guests' names listed right on the GAC upon check-in.
Wizzard419 wrote:But isn't that way more tedious since it would require all the parks and, presumably, all the rides/shows have to keep a record of this? Plus the issue of verification for minors/people without valid ID... probably the best solution is just to ban them when caught which has probably cut down on the tiny number of them to begin with.
With the new RFID system, could the tickets be linked in some fashion, or the GAC added to the ticket itself?

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 15, 2013 11:27 pm

They could, but not every ride is tied to the system nor is there a solid chain of custody since you can take the wristbands off.

The big problem with anything other than what they are doing now is that you will end up punishing the people who are entitled to it and then (more importantly) run the risk of a lawsuit and bad PR. Unless the guides dramatically increase wait times there is no reason to change the entire system since it would be costly and non-beneficial.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:They could, but not every ride is tied to the system nor is there a solid chain of custody since you can take the wristbands off.

The big problem with anything other than what they are doing now is that you will end up punishing the people who are entitled to it and then (more importantly) run the risk of a lawsuit and bad PR. Unless the guides dramatically increase wait times there is no reason to change the entire system since it would be costly and non-beneficial.
Good point ~ hadn't thought about the wristbands not being attached to each person so much...hmmm, there really seems like there should be some good way to keep people from cheating the system. Although, it also seems like the single rider lines should be for single riders (or a couple people, at the most, willing to ride separately) :roll:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sun 16, 2013 12:16 am

Cheating the system is bad, but when you take a step back you realize there aren't a ton of people doing it so changes to the system won't shorten your wait time if you were in the normal lines. Since we are talking about small numbers it also makes putting a large scale effort into combatting it seem unreasonable. It would be akin to the feds creating a task force to stop people from using the wrong fork at dinner. :D

Single rider isn't for the benefit of the individual so much as it is for the benefit of the company and the all the riders, if they can consistently send out full cars it maxes out riders/hour which means people can theoretically get through the line a little faster. Though, for example, up to 1/3 of the people riding on RSR at any point in the day are single riders filling in gaps. The individual just happens to benefit by being able to get through the line faster at the cost of having their group broken up and missing any line features (such as the car design thing in test track)

BenB
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by BenB » Jun Tue 18, 2013 2:17 am

Wizzard419 wrote:It would be akin to the feds creating a task force to stop people from using the wrong fork at dinner. :D
PLEASE don't give them ideas!
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Tue 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It probably would be, but yeah I suggest if legal hadn't authorized you to compel proof from guests for the pass that you stop it (and tell your friends) because if someone files a complaint with the DOJ about the violation you could end up hurting your career with Disney.
No one is asking for proof. I am preferring a note. Saying your back is bad is no excuse for a GAC. Or the psycho this morning. "I can't stand." The CM goes "You can rent a wheelchair." "But I can't sit either!"

Crazies. :roll:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Tue 25, 2013 7:57 pm

That is the same as asking for proof, you are not qualified to put a barrier in place and doing so leaves you personally as well as the company open to a lawsuit and may also hurt your future with the company if something like that showed up on your record.

BuzzyFan
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by BuzzyFan » Jun Thu 27, 2013 11:36 am

Soarin08 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:It probably would be, but yeah I suggest if legal hadn't authorized you to compel proof from guests for the pass that you stop it (and tell your friends) because if someone files a complaint with the DOJ about the violation you could end up hurting your career with Disney.
No one is asking for proof. I am preferring a note. Saying your back is bad is no excuse for a GAC. Or the psycho this morning. "I can't stand." The CM goes "You can rent a wheelchair." "But I can't sit either!"

Crazies. :roll:
There's no lack of psychos running around WDW, claiming disability or otherwise. (I don't mean you, but I know there are more than a few on the payroll, too!) Trying to do something about it from the front line a) won't help the problem, because it doesn't seem as though much of anything that could be useful would propagate from the front line anyhow; and b) will most likely martyr your career. Seriously, you sound like I did when I was looking for solutions to students (i.e., university "customers") cheating on exams and papers. (Not that I expect that you've actually queried someone about a note.)

Yeah, it's miserable, and it sucks, and it p*** you off and makes you want to deck the next person who just might possibly be about to ask/say something stupid even though you don't actually know he/she will. You've got to decide whether the crazies are worth the mental CPU cycles you're giving them.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 10, 2015 11:32 am

Did anyone else catch the news article that a FL commission determined that WDW discriminated against autistic children when they changed their policy from the guest assistance card to disability access service? Here is a link to the article if anyone is interested. Sounds like it could add up to some money being paid out on future lawsuits in any case.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business ... story.html

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Mar Tue 10, 2015 1:19 pm

I have a sister that is severely Autistic and is 48-years old. Whenever my parents and sister visit us we always take a trip to WDW, its a place where my sister Mary can have fun and about the only place to make her smile.

We utilized the "special card" every time we went with Mary. It made it easier and more enjoyable to get her on favorite rides without the stress of waiting which she cannot ever ever do! Mary was always in a wheelchair, it was easier to keep her in a controlled situation and the Special assistance pass would bring us to exits to get on rides and attractions. We never overused this special card, in fact when we would go to WDW with my Parents and sister we went on significantly fewer rides, spend most of the time walking around, relaxing, watching entertainment, and keeping Mary happy and quiet.

When the program changed after the big to-do about miss use of the special assistance card we were finally able to go back with them this last Christmas. So it was our first time trying the "new" system. I can report it worked just fine. You go up to the ride you want to go on, and they stamp a card with a time to go back... similar to a fast pass. Then you just go back at the specified time and they let you in the fast-pass line or handicapped entrance depending on the attraction. It was never a long wait, and was never inconvenient.

I guess I just wanted everyone to hear my family's story. Here is a picture of my beautiful Mom and sister Mary! And the second picture is from left to right: my hubby, me, my son, my handsome and awesome dad, my momma, and Mary in the wheelchair.

°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Tue 10, 2015 1:31 pm

That is a beautiful family photo cousininmiami ~ and I love the one of your Mom and Mary as well! I'm glad you were able to use the new system without a problem. It seems that those who have been the most vocal are the ones who are looking for something that Disney "owes" them as a family visiting with special needs. I know many families who have gone and, like you, have had no problem under the old or new system and many of them are dealing with severe disabilities. I'm sure Disney has a crack legal team, I'm just a bit worried about what might happen if some of these people win their lawsuits. How will that affect families like yours and others who can work within the system and don't have problems?

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Mar Wed 11, 2015 10:16 am

Amy wrote:That is a beautiful family photo cousininmiami ~ and I love the one of your Mom and Mary as well! I'm glad you were able to use the new system without a problem. It seems that those who have been the most vocal are the ones who are looking for something that Disney "owes" them as a family visiting with special needs. I know many families who have gone and, like you, have had no problem under the old or new system and many of them are dealing with severe disabilities. I'm sure Disney has a crack legal team, I'm just a bit worried about what might happen if some of these people win their lawsuits. How will that affect families like yours and others who can work within the system and don't have problems?
Thank you Amy....
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

BenB

Post by BenB » Mar Fri 13, 2015 10:29 pm

The way you describe it sounds like a near-perfect system. It doesn't lend itself to abuse, but it honors the special needs some have. It's too bad some self-entitled people feel the world should revolve around them.
Hoping to go back to the Magic soon.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Mar Sat 14, 2015 7:06 am

BenB wrote:The way you describe it sounds like a near-perfect system. It doesn't lend itself to abuse, but it honors the special needs some have. It's too bad some self-entitled people feel the world should revolve around them.
It really does work well. The people that I have seen complaining about it really seem to not care that anyone else is at the parks, and they should have front of the line access for everything immediately. They have posted photos of their children and the destruction they are causing (and leaving in most cases) in the stores while they are shopping and it is enough to make your eyes go wide in disbelief. I do not proclaim to know everything there is to know about autism or other disabilities, but I can't imagine why the parents think some of the behaviors are acceptable. IF their children feel compelled to take every toy off the shelf and make a line? Ok, let them do that if they aren't causing a complete and utter disruption to everyone else around them. And clean it up when they are done, that shouldn't fall to the CMs that are already busy with their normal duties. Just as they are expecting to enjoy their day at the parks, so are others who have paid the same admission price. Do they let them take all the toys off the shelves at local stores, and then leave the mess when the child has a meltdown? And even if they do, would they do it during a busy day such as Black Friday? Simple consideration for others and not thinking the world revolves around them would make a world of difference.
Like cousininmiami said, they go and enjoy the parks in a slightly different way, but they still enjoy them just fine and have done so for years. I hope families are able to continue to do that without a few people ruining it for everyone.

Polynesian Princess

Post by Polynesian Princess » Mar Sun 15, 2015 3:24 am

I think the new system works well for most of the people that need it. Many people are simply upset because they used to be able to go directly to the front of the line and now have to wait. As long as Disney keeps this system, people will get used to it over time.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!