Moderator: Moderators

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Re: MyMagic+

Post by dstrawn9889 » Oct Wed 30, 2013 4:36 pm

Belle1082 wrote:
Goofyfan wrote:
laurie5658 wrote:This thread is starting to make my head hurt with all the tech talk. :shock: :wink:

Amen!!! :roll: :goofy:
I don't want to know about how a Magic Band works -- just need it to get me in the parks and on the rides! :goofy_bounce:
this isnt about Magic Bands....

This Is how Magic Bands work....

Radio-frequency identification (RFID) is the wireless non-contact use of radio-frequency electromagnetic fields to transfer data, for the purposes of automatically identifying and tracking tags attached to objects. The tags contain electronically stored information. Some tags are powered by and read at short ranges (a few meters) via magnetic fields (electromagnetic induction). Others use a local power source such as a battery, or else have no battery but collect energy from the interrogating EM field, and then act as a passive transponder to emit microwaves or UHF radio waves (i.e., electromagnetic radiation at high frequencies). Battery powered tags may operate at hundreds of meters. Unlike a bar code, the tag does not necessarily need to be within line of sight of the reader, and may be embedded in the tracked object.
RFID tags are used in many industries. An RFID tag attached to an automobile during production can be used to track its progress through the assembly line. Pharmaceuticals can be tracked through warehouses. Livestock and pets may have tags injected, allowing positive identification of the animal. On off-shore oil and gas platforms, RFID tags are worn by personnel as a safety measure, allowing them to be located 24 hours a day and to be quickly found in emergencies.[citation needed]
Since RFID tags can be attached to clothing, possessions, or even implanted within people, the possibility of reading personally-linked information without consent has raised privacy concerns.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 30, 2013 5:23 pm

That reminds me, when are we going to start seeing stories of crazy people flipping out at WDW claiming this is a government spy program and that it is placing a "mark of the beast" (which has been claimed with previous RF tag complaints) on their families? :D

Oh and when will people start wrapping their bands in mini faraday cages?

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Oct Wed 30, 2013 6:25 pm

i almost want to be implanted, so i can throw them for a loop and ask if my rf can be attached to the magic band package... wave my hand at the fpp post and walk on...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Or you could take the route that doesn't require outpatient surgery...

http://nfcring.com/

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Or you could take the route that doesn't require outpatient surgery...

http://nfcring.com/
That would be handy if you worked somewhere that required you to have an RFID card with you all the time :D

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Oct Wed 30, 2013 8:08 pm

As long as you don't have a super-anal security staff that doesn't like "third party devices".

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Oct Thu 31, 2013 8:02 pm

My girls' passport cards have RFID's inside, and the sleeve they're supposed to be kept in is a metal / paper / plastic composite material that blocks the RFID from being read. I guess some border crossings use the RFID instead of a verbal question / answer (?? I don't know this as my parents took the girls to Canada. I haven't left the country since a passport or passport card was needed to go to Canada).
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 01, 2013 1:05 am

I think they all do (pretty much every country on earth) an RF scan of the data to make sure the passport is real. I think they also scan it when you board the plane as well, at least with NA flights.

Cardinals314
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by Cardinals314 » Nov Fri 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Disney is now testing a tier system for FP+ at Epcot starting today. Guests can select one option from a "headliner" and then your other options for the other attractions. The headliners are: Test Track, Soarin, Character Spot, Malestrom, and Illuminations. The rest are: Captain EO, JIT, Living with the Land, Mission Space, Seas with Nemo, Spaceship Earth, and Turtle Talk.

It makes the most sense to use FASTPASS+ at either Soarin’ or Test Track. I suggest using it at the attraction that you’re not headed to first thing in the morning. Mission: SPACE and Turtle Talk with Crush are the best options for the other tier in my opinion.
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Fri 01, 2013 8:38 pm

I don't understand why Maelstrom is considered such a highly desired FP :?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Probably because it is the only E-ish ticket ride in WS. It apparently can have a 60 min wait during the busy times. It also employs ride design that was never replicated because it is stupid (mainly having a pre-show video after the ride).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Fri 01, 2013 8:44 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Probably because it is the only E-ish ticket ride in WS. It apparently can have a 60 min wait during the busy times. It also employs ride design that was never replicated because it is stupid (mainly having a pre-show video after the ride).
It is a nice attraction, but I won't wait very long for it. It isn't that wonderful. And the video afterward is actually quite nicely done with beautiful music. Too bad most people skip on through without stopping to watch it.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Fri 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Other than that the movie is so horribly dated (like pretty much all of the WS exhibits) and the seating is kind of uncomfortable, it could be a nice movie to see once.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Nov Fri 01, 2013 9:56 pm

Yes...the video hasn't changed since the attraction opened in 1988...so unless you love the late 80s you won't like the movie.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Cardinals314

Post by Cardinals314 » Nov Fri 01, 2013 10:54 pm

The dumbest thing on the list is that the character spot is a headliner. After the refurbishment, it is always a 5 to 10 minute wait
My WDW Trip Report March 2013

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me"