Soft Openings before new Fantasyland

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: Soft Openings before new Fantasyland

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sun 04, 2012 7:01 pm

If you have the rules handy, check them out. If they do the contests like DLR does them, you can go even if your pass has expired. If the contest starts before your expiration date but the event is after it, then they will let you in.

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » Nov Mon 05, 2012 7:17 am

We missed the soft opening by 1 week. Uuuugghhhh!!! :(

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Mon 05, 2012 8:42 am

horizons1 wrote:They opened up more nights for passholder previews, doing a sort of lottery (they call it a "sweepstakes") to fill up the time slots. Fortunately, I got Wednesday 11/14 from 930pm to 1am. Perfect because a) I am taking a work trip to Orlando that day and b) my pass expires the next day!
Lucky!
Wizzard419 wrote:If you have the rules handy, check them out. If they do the contests like DLR does them, you can go even if your pass has expired. If the contest starts before your expiration date but the event is after it, then they will let you in.
Really? That is pretty neat!

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Nov Thu 15, 2012 9:36 am

OK, I went last night and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I'll admit a large part of my discontent was the way Disney handled the so-called AP preview "event." First, after enrolling in the sweepstakes I was selected for a preview time slot of 930pm-1am on Wednesday 11/14 (last night). Following the instructions, I brought a copy of my confirmation to the TTC ticket window and was given a wrist band. In the instructions it said I had to select between the Belle and Ariel adventures. When the cast member told me I didn't have to choose, I should have known something was up.

Obviously what was up was a lack of AP interest in sufficient numbers to have a preview just for them (us) because when I got to the back of the park I found the area was open to all guests. They told me that my wristband could be used for Fast Pass access if I wanted, otherwise it didn't make any difference. I don't want to sound like a snob, but when they make you jump through so many hoops and create a "sweepstakes" it was a little bit of a let down to find I did all this extra work for nothing. Plus I built my whole Orlando work trip around being available for that time slot. Oh and when I wanted to use my wrist band for a second trip on Mermaid through Fast Pass I was told that there weren't enough people in line to justify opening the Fast Pass line. There was a line, but whatever.

Anyway, now for a little review of the expanded area:

Make no mistake, the land is not finished. The gigantic construction space of the Mine Train coaster mean that unless you are looking directly at an open attraction 50% of your view is of construction walls. I've not ridden the Little Mermaid ride in California yet so it was new to me. It's cute and on par with other Fantasyland dark rides but nothing to write hope about. I will say this, the queue path is insanely long, which seems strange for a people-eating Omnimover. But there are some cute interactive touches in the queue with an activity with some little crabs.

The Belle storybook adventure is fun for kids, and the themeing is first rate. Ditto for the Be Our Guest restaurant. In the quick serve eatery (I think it's Gaston's) there are some more great props and of course antlers were used in all of the decorating.

So, one major attraction, two character lead attractions (Belle and the Ariel meet-and-greet) and a couple places to eat and shop. That's it. I didn't spend much time there, but then I am not the target demographic. If I had one of my younger nieces with me we'd probably still be there.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Thu 15, 2012 12:05 pm

That's disappointing that they didn't do more for the AP people that actually took the time to sign up and stick to the schedule :( And even more disappointing that they didn't honor the wristband as a FP (for your second trip anyhow) after they told you that you could....These are the sort of things that hurt a business, but especially Disney since they are known for such high quality customer service...most of the time.
I'm looking forward to seeing the new land, but probably once everything is open. Don't want to look at a ton of construction walls...

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Nov Thu 15, 2012 10:14 pm

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience horizons1. I am sure that I would have had that same feeling if that happened to me. I Think I was so impressed with the land because I wasn't expecting to get in since it was during Cast Member previews. It must have been the same issue with it not being heavily attended as they were letting everyone in.

I can't believe you weren't floored by Belle though. I thought it was amazing. Probably won't be a must do on every trip though, I do agree with that.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Fri 16, 2012 4:26 pm

When we were there, my impressions were that it's geared for little girls for the most part. That queue in AUA made me dizzy. Literally. And while the "Under the Sea" scene was visually appealing, there wasn't much about the attraction that set it apart from other similar attractions. So I don't think we'll be doing that one again. I might take my niece since she didn't get a chance to ride, but otherwise, nah.

We didn't do Belle's Enchanted thingamabob because I forgot all about it. :? I think the only thing that would draw me back there was to be able to eat at Be Our Guest, and the scenery leading into the entrance to the restaurant was truly remarkably done. Probably one of the best ever done.

My whole point in posting this was that it doesn't surprise me if the soft opening wasn't heavily attended. Curiosity gets you. "What's back here?" and then you wander back and it's bit of a let-down. ESPECIALLY when you can't walk over to Storybook Circus (yet) and instead have to go all the way back around the mine train construction site.

I'm going to have to see everything 100% finished before I pass final judgment though. I'm not completely sold on it being worth losing Snow White.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Nov Sat 17, 2012 1:04 am

cy, I guarantee that if you saw the Belle's thingamabob, you would change your mind. Mind blowing... At least once.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sat 17, 2012 2:02 pm

"Soft openings" and "Belle's mindblowing thingamabob"... so many jokes, so little time.

rziencik
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by rziencik » Nov Sat 17, 2012 2:38 pm

cousininmiami wrote:Does anyone know...
If there will be a possible soft opening of Fantastyland or maybe the new Test Track? Turns out we will be there a few days ahead of the 'grand openings' and I'm hoping we will see some of the new stuff. :D
I was there 3 weeks ago and everything was open except for the mine ride with the 7 dwarfs. Sorry will not open in 2014.

rziencik
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by rziencik » Nov Sat 17, 2012 2:39 pm

cousininmiami wrote:Does anyone know...
If there will be a possible soft opening of Fantastyland or maybe the new Test Track? Turns out we will be there a few days ahead of the 'grand openings' and I'm hoping we will see some of the new stuff. :D
The test track will not open until before Christmas.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sat 17, 2012 2:52 pm

I was going to say "I am surprised no videos or photos of the test track remodel were up yet".

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Nov Sat 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I was going to say "I am surprised no videos or photos of the test track remodel were up yet".
I saw some preview stuff of the new "design" area the other day, but nothing extraordinary.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sat 17, 2012 5:22 pm

It is hard to expect much when it is a re-skin more than anything else. The actual route the car has to take is probably more or less locked in and would require major construction to modify it.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Nov Sat 17, 2012 6:21 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:It is hard to expect much when it is a re-skin more than anything else. The actual route the car has to take is probably more or less locked in and would require major construction to modify it.
IDK about that one wiz, in JII they just built over top of the old track...(that is what i have seen anyway) that the new track just meanders OVER the old carousel lock in from the orig version, i don't think it would be too hard to change the layout, but as for time that the ride was down, i doubt they had time to change the track layout and change the theming.