Slowest Monorail ride Ever!

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Re: Slowest Monorail ride Ever!

Post by MadEye » Jun Fri 29, 2012 11:26 am

Wizzard419 wrote:What about option 3, go backwards?
After the accident in 09, not allowed anymore.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Fri 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Another reason the WDW monorail system is lame, it can't go backwards. :D

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Fri 29, 2012 4:02 pm

junebug1233 wrote:I was actually shocked at a lot of comments I saw in different places about how nice or sweet the monorail driver was. Why, because they didn't run over the squirrel? Who would do that? If I somehow became aware that my monorail had run over a squirrel, I would be hysterical. I have only hit a squirrel while driving (my car, not monorail!) and I cried for a good hour because I felt so bad.

Given that, I hope that the riders were aware of the situation. For whatever reason, the monorail scares me the most out of any ride and when I get stuck on it, I get a little nervous.
To be clear the monorail does have a PA override where the pilot can interrupt the spiel to make announcements. I know this from last year when we were on green and they were making announcements on how monorail service will stop one hour after park closing. Keep in mind that you are in Disney which is a vacation resort with kids. Running over a squirrel in view of guests would have caused Disney some more longer term headaches than just a momentary delay. Secondly in the event of a monorail issue there are plenty of rescue operations available. In the event of a fire each car is independent with a complete firewall and two roof exits. There are handrails across the top to allow you to safely crawl from one car to the next. If the train becomes disabled there are diesel tow tractors stationed on the EPCOT spur and at the roundhouse that can hook up to either cars 1 or 6 and tow the monorail to the nearest station. Finally, the Reedy Creek Fire Department owns a separate monorail rescue truck in addition to their tower ladder that can be used to rescue guests off the monorails.
Wizzard419 wrote:Another reason the WDW monorail system is lame, it can't go backwards. :D
:roll: So if you want to go backwards ride facing backwards.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Fri 29, 2012 5:35 pm

You tell that to the people trapped inside because there is a small woodland creature on the tracks.

So they really are banned from going backwards? I'm really surprised about that since DLR's can go for years on end with them having to use only one section of the track due to construction, wind (the santa anas damage the monorails), normal tree trimming, etc. If I recall, they put one person with a walkie in the back to serve as the eyes, and they run two trains (one just goes further out when empty) to prevent major backups.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jun Fri 29, 2012 5:44 pm

Len90 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Another reason the WDW monorail system is lame, it can't go backwards. :D
...just not the same...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Fri 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Len90 wrote:
junebug1233 wrote:I was actually shocked at a lot of comments I saw in different places about how nice or sweet the monorail driver was. Why, because they didn't run over the squirrel? Who would do that? If I somehow became aware that my monorail had run over a squirrel, I would be hysterical. I have only hit a squirrel while driving (my car, not monorail!) and I cried for a good hour because I felt so bad.

Given that, I hope that the riders were aware of the situation. For whatever reason, the monorail scares me the most out of any ride and when I get stuck on it, I get a little nervous.
To be clear the monorail does have a PA override where the pilot can interrupt the spiel to make announcements. I know this from last year when we were on green and they were making announcements on how monorail service will stop one hour after park closing. Keep in mind that you are in Disney which is a vacation resort with kids. Running over a squirrel in view of guests would have caused Disney some more longer term headaches than just a momentary delay. Secondly in the event of a monorail issue there are plenty of rescue operations available. In the event of a fire each car is independent with a complete firewall and two roof exits. There are handrails across the top to allow you to safely crawl from one car to the next. If the train becomes disabled there are diesel tow tractors stationed on the EPCOT spur and at the roundhouse that can hook up to either cars 1 or 6 and tow the monorail to the nearest station. Finally, the Reedy Creek Fire Department owns a separate monorail rescue truck in addition to their tower ladder that can be used to rescue guests off the monorails.
Nice information about all the safety measures that can get you out of the monorail in case of an emergency ~ thanks Len!

Len90 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Jun Sat 30, 2012 7:00 am

My sister works the Monorail platform, and said the driver was following protocol. The pilots, for safety reasons, cannot run over an obstruction on the tracks - a squirrel is considered an obstruction.

And in cases of a major incident that requires a quick evacuation of the train; one that cannot wait until rescue comes, the pilots are trained to evac the passengers and walk them along the beam to the nearest station.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 30, 2012 1:15 pm

agingerbugg wrote:My sister works the Monorail platform, and said the driver was following protocol. The pilots, for safety reasons, cannot run over an obstruction on the tracks - a squirrel is considered an obstruction.

And in cases of a major incident that requires a quick evacuation of the train; one that cannot wait until rescue comes, the pilots are trained to evac the passengers and walk them along the beam to the nearest station.
Oh my! That would be an adventure walking the monorail beam :shock: I don't mind heights but I know a lot of people are scared of them...I'd be the guest holding up traffic taking pictures along the way :lol:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 30, 2012 4:10 pm

How wide is the beam anyway? I know their trains are a lot wider too.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Sat 30, 2012 9:57 pm

agingerbugg wrote:My sister works the Monorail platform, and said the driver was following protocol. The pilots, for safety reasons, cannot run over an obstruction on the tracks - a squirrel is considered an obstruction.

I've heard rumor about that but was not sure. Is it also true that there is some sort of rope or rope ladder that is carried on to allow passengers to climb down the windshield onto the beam?

Also from what I have read the beams are 26 inches wide with the columns every 50 ft.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Len90 wrote:

I've heard rumor about that but was not sure. Is it also true that there is some sort of rope or rope ladder that is carried on to allow passengers to climb down the windshield onto the beam?

Also from what I have read the beams are 26 inches wide with the columns every 50 ft.
I would think you would have a lot of freaked out people on that monorail beam. It would have to be an extreme emergency to evacuate in that fashion I would imagine. When we were evac-ed from Splash, that walkway was a good 3 feet and someone still managed to fall in the water :roll:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 30, 2012 11:33 pm

Yeah, it would probably have to be an evacuate or die scenario (leaving the slow and handicapped behind) considering that a walkway that narrow would probably pose more risk than staying in the car (under less dire circumstances).

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Sat 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Yeah, it would probably have to be an evacuate or die scenario (leaving the slow and handicapped behind) considering that a walkway that narrow would probably pose more risk than staying in the car (under less dire circumstances).
Agreed...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jun Sat 30, 2012 11:57 pm

I wonder if that might be one of the other reasons that they don't expand the system (aside from costs)? If a bus breaks down/catches fire it's easier to evacuate as solid ground is right there.

figmentaholic
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by figmentaholic » Jul Sun 01, 2012 9:19 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I wonder if that might be one of the other reasons that they don't expand the system (aside from costs)? If a bus breaks down/catches fire it's easier to evacuate as solid ground is right there.

I would say that is one issue but cost would be the biggest factor I think. I was reading somewhere that was saying that it would be millions just to put in a new spur, I believe it was going to be to Animal Kingdom and the lodge if I remember correctly, but it was a ridiculous price for a fairly short spur.
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3377/3256433787_87963f58e0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x147/sandwich_boy_photos/epcot.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/figment.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://www.dansmith.ca/userbars/userbars/dreamfinder-fan.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.userbars.com][img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3386/3256432811_caa1112463.jpg[/img][/url]