2013 WDW Marathon

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Re: 2013 WDW Marathon

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jan Sun 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Well...I finished. It wasn't pretty but I did it. The heat and the humidity were brutal and I have since vowed that I will never, ever again run another full marathon!!!
:)
More details as I compile them. It was fun to run the 5K with NaCler. I have a few pics of that :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 20, 2013 8:51 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:Well...I finished. It wasn't pretty but I did it. The heat and the humidity were brutal and I have since vowed that I will never, ever again run another full marathon!!!
More details as I compile them. It was fun to run the 5K with NaCler. I have a few pics of that :D
So if the weather was better, would you run another marathon then?
Looking forward to photos ~ as always :D

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Jan Sun 20, 2013 9:14 pm

wewantsdaredhead wrote:Well...I finished. It wasn't pretty but I did it. The heat and the humidity were brutal and I have since vowed that I will never, ever again run another full marathon!!!
He'll do another one... Maybe when I go for my first marathon in 2015. :)

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Jan Mon 21, 2013 7:16 am

congrats to those who ran and finished the marathon!! :mickey:

cccmouse
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by cccmouse » Jan Mon 21, 2013 10:11 am

Congrats on finishing! I agree...the heat and humidity were more than I expected. I remember the first point where the sun was high enough in the sky that we were not running in the shade any more ( between miles 10 and 11 for me) and it did not take long at all to start feling the effects of the sun.
At the half way point I was on a 4:20-4:25 pace and I was pleased with that but I was not able to maintain that pace for the second half. My actual finish time of 4:56 was slower than the 4:30 that I was shooting for but by the end I was just glad to be finished. I will be the first to admit that I did not put in enough long runs in training for this but I thought that I would be OK.
The text that I sent to my wife after I finished read "Welll...it seemed like a good idea at the time". She said that she would save it and show it to me in a few months when I start talking about doing it again.
Anyway, been there, done that, finished, got the medal and bought the tee shirt.
Congrats again to everyone who ran any of the races. It is never too early to start looking ahead to next year.

jrcohen
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by jrcohen » Jan Mon 21, 2013 2:49 pm

Just got back to Austin last night after spending a week at the parks after the marathon. The humidity was pretty brutal. I also faded quite a bit in the second half. For the first 10-12 miles I thought my IT band on my right side would hold up. That started going downhill just around halfway. I had to stop for a minute just outside AK in the parking lot to stretch. I ended up doing a 5:45:04 after being on pace for 4:52 at the half. I even over compensated for the pain in my right knee a bit too much and landed up hurting my left ankle. I had to wrap it for the next 4 days. Walking around EPCOT on Monday was horrible; although it got better over the next few days.

The way I look at it now, this was never a race to try a PR. With stopping for pictures with the characters and just taking in all the sights and sounds. I'm happy I finished and really enjoyed myself. I do have to say it is a very weird experience in the park the week afterward though. It's the only place I ever thing I'll be using the phrase "No, I only did the full" when being asked if I did a Goofy.

I'll try to get some pics of the week up as well. On a side note, did anyone else think the angle of some of the ramp turns were kind of ridiculous to run on?
Please keep your arms and legs inside the vehicle until the ride comes to a full and complete stop. Thank you, and enjoy the rest of your day here at Walt Disney World.

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jan Mon 21, 2013 7:07 pm

Amy wrote:
I would not and I will not run another full marathon. Mark my words!!
We already have two halves lined up (not together, that would be a full, which I just said I would not do!) for the spring.

Yes the heat and humidity were brutal. I was at mile 14 when I realized it was kicking my butt!
I was on pace for a 5:00 hr marathon at the halfway point, but it took me almost 6!

@ NaCler: ahhhhhhhh no. I will not Sam I am...I will be your biggest cheerleader. I will cheer you on at multiple locations around the world. But I will not be running with you. If you decide to do Goofy, I will be glad to run the half with you, my Brother.

Pics when I get some time. Prolly this weekend. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Mon 21, 2013 11:01 pm

jrcohen wrote:Just got back to Austin last night after spending a week at the parks after the marathon. The humidity was pretty brutal. I also faded quite a bit in the second half. For the first 10-12 miles I thought my IT band on my right side would hold up. That started going downhill just around halfway. I had to stop for a minute just outside AK in the parking lot to stretch. I ended up doing a 5:45:04 after being on pace for 4:52 at the half. I even over compensated for the pain in my right knee a bit too much and landed up hurting my left ankle. I had to wrap it for the next 4 days. Walking around EPCOT on Monday was horrible; although it got better over the next few days.

The way I look at it now, this was never a race to try a PR. With stopping for pictures with the characters and just taking in all the sights and sounds. I'm happy I finished and really enjoyed myself. I do have to say it is a very weird experience in the park the week afterward though. It's the only place I ever thing I'll be using the phrase "No, I only did the full" when being asked if I did a Goofy.

I'll try to get some pics of the week up as well. On a side note, did anyone else think the angle of some of the ramp turns were kind of ridiculous to run on?
You finished ~ that's the best part. Glad you made it ok :D
wewantsdaredhead wrote:
Amy wrote:
I would not and I will not run another full marathon. Mark my words!!
We already have two halves lined up (not together, that would be a full, which I just said I would not do!) for the spring.

Yes the heat and humidity were brutal. I was at mile 14 when I realized it was kicking my butt!
I was on pace for a 5:00 hr marathon at the halfway point, but it took me almost 6!

@ NaCler: ahhhhhhhh no. I will not Sam I am...I will be your biggest cheerleader. I will cheer you on at multiple locations around the world. But I will not be running with you. If you decide to do Goofy, I will be glad to run the half with you, my Brother.

Pics when I get some time. Prolly this weekend. :D
Hmmm, we will see if this "no more full marathon" stance holds. That is great that you would cheer on NaCler though, and join him for the 1/2 in the Goofy. Looks like he will be on track to run that in 2016!! :D

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Tue 22, 2013 9:30 am

In my *ahem* humble opinion, simply ENTERING a marathon is courageous and worthy of accolades. To get yourselves to the point that you think you can run 26 miles non-stop is amazingly mentally challenging, not to mention the physical nonsense.

Kudos.

And to those who finished, an extra measure of "Hoorays" is due. What's that goofball quote from Yogi Berra? "Half the game is 90% mental" or something like that. Anyway, don't knock your times. It's so, so, so much more than I, or thousands of other people, would do.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Thu 31, 2013 1:11 am

Alright... it's been long enough. Here are some pics of the Marathon and special "characters" that ran past my cheering section at EPCOT.

These were taken on the bus on my ride from AK to EPCOT:

Here are some "characters":
And a Firefighter in FULL GEAR, including an oxygen tank strapped to his back! Everyone cheered for this guy!

The reason why I was there cheering... WWDRH coming around the bend to the finish!
I was standing for 3 hours with people that I didn't know, cheering for whatever name people threw out. When WWDRH came close, I had EVERYONE around me chanting, HENRY, HENRY, HENRY!!! It was awesome. It was such a great experience that inspired me to run a little bit more.... But, more on that later...

Here's the Finish Line:

WWDRH after the finish... He looks like he could go ANOTHER 5 miles or so, doesn't he?

WWDRH and his lovely wife:

Now I stated before that I was inspired during my 3 hours of watching people finish their Marathons. So, I am proud to announce that NEXT YEAR I will be running the 1/2 Marathon in January! Yep... It's official, I'm a running fool now!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 31, 2013 8:10 am

Cool photos NaCler ~ that is awesome that everyone was cheering everybody on like that. I wonder what H thought when he came around the bend and so many people were chanting his name?!
I love the different outfits people wear to run in. And kudos to the firefighter running in full turnout gear ~ that stuff is heavy, and the weather that day was hot and humid right?
Congrats on moving on to the next stage of running :D I've heard once you get started, it really is hard to stop...

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Jan Thu 31, 2013 9:22 am

NICE photos, NaCler! And yes, WWDRH looks like he could run much more!

I just shook my head at some of the characters. Especially "Snow White." Egad, my eyes! :shock:

And to your goal for next January - GO FOR IT! :-)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jan Thu 31, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks NaCler!!! It WAS awesome :)
I was nearing the end there, and I was scanning the crowd for NaCler--nothing, nothing, nothing...then I hear, "Henry,Henry,Henry,Henry!!!!"
I thought, those people cant be cheering for me? Are they saying, Henry?? It was surreal...
Then I saw that awesome sight---no not NaCler ;)
It was the finish line!!!!
I never did see him until after.
Lol

I will post my pics and story later...
No I didnt have ANY more miles in me--it was awful.
Thanks everyone for the kind words and YAY to NaCler for becoming a real runner!!!!!!

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Feb Wed 06, 2013 5:59 pm

Way to go Nacler you go get that Donald.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Feb Wed 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Thank you Sleepy, I am going to try my best. I have a 5K scheduled next weekend and a 10K on St Patty's Day. THINKING about the ToT 10 miler in October.