What Character Meal is your personal favorite?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

DisneyYorkie
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

What Character Meal is your personal favorite?

Post by DisneyYorkie » Mar Wed 07, 2012 3:33 pm

On our last trip in 2006, we ate at Chef Mickey's (dinner), Crystal Palace (breakfast/brunch), and Living with the Land (lunch).

I've talked to my DH and DDs, and they say only those three will do for this trip (they are such traditionalists! LOL).

My question to you all: what character meals have you had that are your favorites? Maybe I can talk them into something different! :wink:
You've got serious thrill issues dude. - Crush. Finding Nemo

Belle1082
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Re: What Character Meal is your personal favorite?

Post by Belle1082 » Mar Wed 07, 2012 3:59 pm

I've done Chef Mickey's and Cape May Cafe. Both were actually great and considering how quickly they turn things over, we got a lot of time with each character. probably two visits from each. Although, when we did Cape May - we were there super early and had even more private time with the characters. Minnie even sat down and colored a picture with my nephew...it was adorable.

Does anyone remember the character breakfast WAY back in the day on the Empress Lily?? We went there on my first ever trip to WDW and it just happened to be my 6th birthday as well. it was the BEST and I will never forget it!

mills10
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by mills10 » Mar Wed 07, 2012 4:39 pm

So I read this thread and my first thought was Liberty Tree Tavern. I remember having a character dinner there once. However I just looked it up on the WDW website and it didn't come up as a character meal location. When did that change? I pretty sure my family went to dinner there in 2004 and there were characters.

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 07, 2012 4:43 pm

mills10 wrote:So I read this thread and my first thought was Liberty Tree Tavern. I remember having a character dinner there once. However I just looked it up on the WDW website and it didn't come up as a character meal location. When did that change? I pretty sure my family went to dinner there in 2004 and there were characters.
Yeah...I want to say that is the last Character Meal I went to...back in 2002. They eventually got rid of it either because people weren't comfortable with the characters in such tight quarters...or maybe they just didn't see the value of having the characters there. I dunno.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

DemonOfMusic

Post by DemonOfMusic » Mar Wed 07, 2012 7:12 pm

I have a personal preference for the Crystal Palace. I have lots of really nice memories there, I love the characters, I love the food, and the role place just makes me happy :donald:
"They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway..."

The only two places I will ever need to be are Manhattan and Disney World.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Wed 07, 2012 8:25 pm

Garden Grill. Hands-down. It has been since our first visit in 1997. Recently dined there with Sleepy and Joe and it was still just as much fun seeing the characters at almost 22 years old as it was when I was nearly 7 years old.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Wed 07, 2012 8:29 pm

Soarin08 wrote:Garden Grill. Hands-down. It has been since our first visit in 1997. Recently dined there with Sleepy and Joe and it was still just as much fun seeing the characters at almost 22 years old as it was when I was nearly 7 years old.
I really want to eat there on our next trip. I've always wanted to...but just never have. Can't you see the farm/prairie scene from Living with the Land?

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Mar Wed 07, 2012 8:30 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:Garden Grill. Hands-down. It has been since our first visit in 1997. Recently dined there with Sleepy and Joe and it was still just as much fun seeing the characters at almost 22 years old as it was when I was nearly 7 years old.
I really want to eat there on our next trip. I've always wanted to...but just never have. Can't you see the farm/prairie scene from Living with the Land?
Yes and the rainforest scene as well. It's one of my personal favourites, but it really is best to go with at least two or three people since the food is served family-style, and there is quite a bit.

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Mar Thu 08, 2012 7:36 am

Soarin08 wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:
Yes and the rainforest scene as well. It's one of my personal favourites, but it really is best to go with at least two or three people since the food is served family-style, and there is quite a bit.
Thanks to all who've responded! Sounds like most of you who have had character meals have eaten in the same places we have! The Garden Grille at LWTL is one of our personal favorites. The food is just amazing. So I know we will have to eat there. And, as I said, my girls have to have Chef Ms and Crystal Palace and....there goes our character meal budget!

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Thu 08, 2012 8:44 am

How old are your daughters?

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Mar Thu 08, 2012 9:25 am

theBIGyowski wrote:How old are your daughters?
21 and 15

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Mar Thu 08, 2012 10:21 am

DisneyYorkie wrote:
21 and 15
I haven't been to it before...but you might all enjoy Donald's Safari Breakfast at the Tusker House at DAK. It would get you into the park before it gets really crowded.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Mar Thu 08, 2012 10:50 am

We have done a lot of character meals over the years. I'll break it down between breakfast and dinner and even share my thoughts about everything....

Breakfast: We ate at Garden Groove a few years back and it was okay. We really haven't even considered going back. The past two years we have eaten at 1900 Park Fare. Two years ago the food and characters were amazing, this past year the food was pretty good but the characters were just not that great. Almost every time we go we have a meal at Cape May. The characters are average but the food is consistently good.

Dinner: We used to always go to Chef Mickey's but stopped around 5-6 years ago. It just got to the point where (IMO) the food was not that great and the characters were rude. There was no care to spend time and it seemed like a complete rush job so they can turn the tables over quickly. The Crystal Palace I personally feel does a lot better job of handling the crowd and allowing guests to not feel rushed. We ate there last year and it was a great experience. However, my all time favorite character buffet is Garden Grill. The food is fantastic and the characters are the best here. We have had absolutely amazing experiences there for a few years in a row now and it seems like it gets better each time.

Overall we try to keep our vacations (8 days in length) to have 1-2 character breakfast meals and 2 character dinners. For the past couple of years. I think if we go again there will be a third one possibly added with Akershus.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

DisneyYorkie

Post by DisneyYorkie » Mar Thu 08, 2012 10:54 am

theBIGyowski wrote:
DisneyYorkie wrote:
21 and 15
I haven't been to it before...but you might all enjoy Donald's Safari Breakfast at the Tusker House at DAK. It would get you into the park before it gets really crowded.
Thanks for the tip. Will check that out in my Unofficial Guide!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Mar Thu 08, 2012 8:57 pm

We haven't done many character dining over the years, but did visit Chef Mickey's (with the Mouse Couple) I believe it was '10, LOVED IT! And on this past trip we dined at Crystal Palace with them, we really loved the food and the characters, of course! :wink:

B-dude and I did Cinderella's Castle in '08 and really loved it! The atmosphere is great. I had reviews where people said they felt rushed, but we really didn't. The food was good too! I was even given my very own magic wand! :D