Hotel Tipping

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Goofyfan
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Hotel Tipping

Post by Goofyfan » Jan Sat 14, 2012 1:00 am

I dont't recall seeing this topic: I am looking for any imput from all you fine people out there.

What do you usualy tip Mousekeeping: Lets say the job was well done.

Do you tip daily or at the end of your stay?

How much per day or at the end of your stay? We are staying at the Coronado.

We usualy tip at the end of our stay. I don't want to be a cheapskate. Some have told me that they don't tip at all because they pay too much for eveything as it is. I know that the Cast Members work for small wages. Thanks for your comments. :) :goofy:

pixiesparkles
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Re: Hotel Tipping

Post by pixiesparkles » Jan Sat 14, 2012 10:08 am

When my family and I travel, we usually will tip $2 per person, per night. So, if the 5 of us stay for 3 nights, then it is $2 x 5 people x 3 nights or $30. We leave the tip at the end of our stay. I have never treated WDW any different than any other place I have stayed. On rare occasions, housekeeping was a disaster and the reduced tip reflected as much. Generally, when it comes to WDW, however, I have never experienced anything other than first-rate treatment...if housekeeping goes above and beyond, then we will leave more.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sat 14, 2012 5:28 pm

You should tip daily for housekeeping since it isn't always the same person who cleans your room.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Sat 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Usually I do some sort of "test" to see how good the housekeeping is...leaving a towel somewhere other than the bathroom area, marking the corner of a sheet with a little bit of lip gloss or something like that...you'd be surprised how many of these hotels don't pay attention to many details. I have to say this about Mousekeeping...there was a decorative pillow that got knocked on the floor the first night we arrived. I chose this to be the "test" of this stay. To my surprise, the pillow stayed there our entire stay!!!! Not once was it picked up off the floor. :shock: I truly expected better from Mousekeeping.

We aren't hotel snobs by any means...we usually just look for a clean room/bed/bathroom...just a place to crash. I suppose since being from Vegas and working in the hotel industry, I know what to look for in many aspects of operation...

...and yes, daily tipping is best since it's not always the same person cleaning your room.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 14, 2012 7:14 pm

MmeLeota wrote:Usually I do some sort of "test" to see how good the housekeeping is...leaving a towel somewhere other than the bathroom area, marking the corner of a sheet with a little bit of lip gloss or something like that...you'd be surprised how many of these hotels don't pay attention to many details. I have to say this about Mousekeeping...there was a decorative pillow that got knocked on the floor the first night we arrived. I chose this to be the "test" of this stay. To my surprise, the pillow stayed there our entire stay!!!! Not once was it picked up off the floor. :shock: I truly expected better from Mousekeeping.

We aren't hotel snobs by any means...we usually just look for a clean room/bed/bathroom...just a place to crash. I suppose since being from Vegas and working in the hotel industry, I know what to look for in many aspects of operation...

...and yes, daily tipping is best since it's not always the same person cleaning your room.
We were less than impressed with the Mousekeeping this time around too. There were several small things that added up to a not-so-clean room. And I had to request our sheets be changed since they went a few days beyond even what was posted as "energy-saving" changes :(

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Sat 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Amy wrote:
MmeLeota wrote:Usually I do some sort of "test" to see how good the housekeeping is...leaving a towel somewhere other than the bathroom area, marking the corner of a sheet with a little bit of lip gloss or something like that...you'd be surprised how many of these hotels don't pay attention to many details. I have to say this about Mousekeeping...there was a decorative pillow that got knocked on the floor the first night we arrived. I chose this to be the "test" of this stay. To my surprise, the pillow stayed there our entire stay!!!! Not once was it picked up off the floor. :shock: I truly expected better from Mousekeeping.

We were less than impressed with the Mousekeeping this time around too. There were several small things that added up to a not-so-clean room. And I had to request our sheets be changed since they went a few days beyond even what was posted as "energy-saving" changes :(
Did you have any towel animals?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 14, 2012 7:53 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Amy wrote:

Did you have any towel animals?
Yes, we had the traditional Mickey Mouse rings when we arrived. And we had a turkey and a rabbit for Thanksgiving. And a small mouse or two in the window. The mouse might have come home with me ~ shhhhh...F1gment was horrified when she saw me putting it in my suitcase :shock:
What did you have??

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jan Sat 14, 2012 8:12 pm

We didn't have one single towel animal the entire time! No Mickey waiting for us when we arrived...nothing! We were disappointed.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sat 14, 2012 9:06 pm

That is somewhat of a douche thing to do, at least at a disney hotel, since they are not only serving you but they have an "electronic whip" placed on them by the company to make sure they get through the rooms as fast as possible. So some small things may get missed but at the same time it shouldn't impact their tips since the company is forcing them to work faster.

wewantsdaredhead

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Jan Sat 14, 2012 9:37 pm

I am a notorious cheapskates but I tip $1 per day per person plus $1.
So this last time we had three of us so I tipped $4 a day. I will say this though, we had an "incident" and we decided to tip her extra that day.
We had great service all week. The one day my son spent all morning in the room with the privacy thing in there...they left a bag of towels out front.
No animals for us all week...but that's just fine with me :)

Goofyfan

Post by Goofyfan » Jan Sat 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks for all the tips.....we realy appreciate it.. :D :goofy_bounce:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Sat 14, 2012 10:16 pm

I don't use Mousekeeping.... I don't need my room cleaned on a daily basis. So for me, the answer is I tip nothing. I stayed at Pop for ten days this summer and not once did I allow the room to be cleaned. I know it's Disney but I've never trusted hotel housekeeping in general, especially in an age where most people travel with electronics and such.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sat 14, 2012 10:59 pm

MmeLeota wrote:We didn't have one single towel animal the entire time! No Mickey waiting for us when we arrived...nothing! We were disappointed.
No animals at all?! :shock: :( Which resort did you stay at again? There were little animals in almost all of the rooms' windows at the All Stars!
Soarin08 wrote:I don't use Mousekeeping.... I don't need my room cleaned on a daily basis. So for me, the answer is I tip nothing. I stayed at Pop for ten days this summer and not once did I allow the room to be cleaned. I know it's Disney but I've never trusted hotel housekeeping in general, especially in an age where most people travel with electronics and such.
I was worried two years ago when I first took my new laptop, but I simply put it in a drawer out of sight and never had a problem. Same this time around. I don't think there would be a problem with the staff since they have so little time to clean a room, they don't have time to be rifling through peoples' belongings looking to steal something. Plus I would hope most of them wouldn't risk their employment over deceitful actions...

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Sat 14, 2012 11:34 pm

MmeLeota wrote:We didn't have one single towel animal the entire time! No Mickey waiting for us when we arrived...nothing! We were disappointed.
I would have thought Caribbean Beach would do better than that! I have mine from Pop sitting on my bookshelf here in my room. We take one per trip if there is more than one animal, or just the one, depending on where we stay. I didn't get one at All Star Movies in September, just the Mickey-shaped ring of towels.

Amy, you'd be surprised how many CMs do steal, both from the company and from each other. A certain Mr. Brit had his iPad stolen out of his locked locker backstage, and I knew several CPs who got dismissed for stealing from the company. Even if we are caught with little things like the 3D glasses, we can get fired.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 15, 2012 1:17 am

It's a little different with non-guest rooms though. Since the locks keep logs, the workers have schedules, etc. stealing big from a guest room is not as attractive as you would notice something is gone and then report it. With a locker, there might be cameras, might not, since many companies trust their workers at the same level or below their customers, the cameras might only be in areas with company property/money to steal.

When I used the magical express and had my bags sent to my room, I left a tip out for the guy/girl delivering, and they didn't touch it. They put the bag right next to it and just left.