Tomorrowland Refurb-Expansion?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Tomorrowland Refurb-Expansion?

Post by Sharonofwindham » Nov Sat 12, 2011 11:59 pm

What are your thoughts on Tomorrowland? Personally, I would be fine avoiding it completely during a visit. Not a huge fan of Space Mountain, could live without Buzz Lightyear, and just how futuristic are those smelly race cars anyway? I do enjoy the Peoplemover and the Carousel of Progress. I absolutely loved Timekeeper and really miss it.
I'm happy about the Fantasyland expansion, but I think if any land needed a complete redo, hands down it should have been the eyesore considered "tomorrowland" :roll: .
If you agree on any of this, what do you think they should or could do to update :ccat: ?

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Tomorrowland Refurb-Expansion?

Post by Len90 » Nov Sun 13, 2011 2:33 am

I agree with the fact that it needs a refurb. I definitely have to ride Space Mountain at least once every trip. I also will always take a trip on the Speedway but don't want to wait more than 10 minutes for it at all. Buzz has the competitive factor of trying to beat your family members which makes it fun, but I definitely think it needs an overhaul as Midway Mania at DHS is way better. Monsters Inc is cute and I do think it is nice, it is just not in the right place. Stitch's Big Mistake needs to go though. That leaves only Peoplemover, Astro Orbiter, and CoP: all classics that I wouldn't touch. Maybe I would change Peoplemover back to its original form with the classical narration.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 13, 2011 9:04 am

Len90 wrote:I agree with the fact that it needs a refurb. I definitely have to ride Space Mountain at least once every trip. I also will always take a trip on the Speedway but don't want to wait more than 10 minutes for it at all. Buzz has the competitive factor of trying to beat your family members which makes it fun, but I definitely think it needs an overhaul as Midway Mania at DHS is way better. Monsters Inc is cute and I do think it is nice, it is just not in the right place. Stitch's Big Mistake needs to go though. That leaves only Peoplemover, Astro Orbiter, and CoP: all classics that I wouldn't touch. Maybe I would change Peoplemover back to its original form with the classical narration.
I agree with Len on everything except Monsters Inc. We didn't care for the show. I just hope they don't close CoP if they ever do a refurb. I love that show and would miss it terribly if it went away :(

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Sun 13, 2011 9:56 pm

I think Disney could do better with Tomorrowland but we enjoy visiting it everytime we're at Disney. Even though the attractions have changed, it still reminds me of my childhood. I love the CoP and TTA. I just liked the original Tomorrowland b/c that is what people envisioned the future to be like.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Nov Mon 14, 2011 9:26 am

Agreed, Tomorrowland needs a little overhaul just as long as Carousel of Progress is NEVER touched and the Peoplemover remains the same as well. Buzz Lightyear should be changed to a 3D ride maybe something along the story lines of Toy Story 3. And we definitely need a totally way out idea of the future house like they used to have with the Monsanto House of the Future, that was really neat! Maybe get Apple and or Bill Gates involved, really make it like the Jetson's!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Nov Mon 14, 2011 9:38 am

I agree with everyone here, Tomorrowland needs work. There hasn't been a major update of the area since 1998 - last century!!!!! And what was done really killed the soul of TL, to present the world we could be living in in the near future. I understand, that in order to keep costs low (by not refurbing every ten years or so) they decided to make it a more fantastical future with Alien Encounter and Mr. Tom Morrow and that was okay. But when they added Stitch and took away the Timekeeper to add more Pixar it really killed the heart of it. The first two attractions you encounter as you enter Tomorrowland from the Hub should be in Fantasyland (Stitch and Monsters Inc.), it makes it a joke of a land and really hides the decent attractions there; Carousel of Progress, Space Mountain and Peoplemover.

Now don't get me wrong, I really do think that MILF is cute and great for kids and adults alike, but it belongs in Tomorrowland. There would be no love-loss if Stitch died a cruel and horrible death - maybe by a towering winged, carnivorous alien that is hopefully still lurking in a maintenance shaft in the building.
cousininmiami wrote:Buzz Lightyear should be changed to a 3D ride maybe something along the story lines of Toy Story 3
For shame, how would shooting huggy bear or whatever his name is be futuristic and tomorrow-y? If they do that, it should end up in the new Fantasyland. Or are you suggesting that they do away with Tomorrowland and expand FL into that area?
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Wyntuck
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by Wyntuck » Nov Mon 14, 2011 10:43 am

The main problem is there hasn't been a hit Disney movie lately that can be turned into an attraction themed to Tomorrowland.
Stitch was from outer space. A bit of a stretch, but enough to build an attraction around. I've visited it once. and that was enough. Hopefully the Fantasyland expansion will invigorate them to take a new look at Tomorrowland.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Nov Mon 14, 2011 12:36 pm

regarding the tomorrowland NW ride bldg (stitch)... there cannot be that much to bring back extra-terror-estrial back... the theatre itself was unchanged... was nice to get a good scream outta ya there...

TikiTikiRoom
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by TikiTikiRoom » Nov Tue 15, 2011 9:20 am

dstrawn9889 wrote:regarding the tomorrowland NW ride bldg (stitch)... there cannot be that much to bring back extra-terror-estrial back... the theatre itself was unchanged... was nice to get a good scream outta ya there...
I never went on that ride, as dark rooms and loud noises scared me as a kid.....not to mention the HR Gieger Alien running amuck. But yeah I wish I still had my Skippy t-shirt. Cutest little bugger ever
IC-32830 of the 501st Legion

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Nov Tue 15, 2011 9:32 am

yeah the fake alien saliva and blood splatter was friggin cool!

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Nov Tue 15, 2011 10:58 am

Space Mountain needs to have the speakers in the vehicles, as opposed to having speakers scattered throughout the ride. Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor needs to move to Fantasyland. Stitch needs to go altogether. Tomorrowland Speedway needs a new paint job and a futuristic boost (making it a wee bit faster couldn't hurt either). Lastly, the Tomorroawland Transit Authority needs to go back to its older narration, for it was far better.

That's what I would do anyway...

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Nov Tue 15, 2011 11:30 am

SO DIAC, what would you add to the 'vision of the future that never was?'

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Nov Tue 15, 2011 3:02 pm

I couldn't both agree and disagree with you more:

Space Mountain - my absolute favorite in all of the 'World. Sure, there are little things that could be done to make it more exciting, or more high-tech, but it's a classic - just like the wooden coasters at our favorite old amusement parks. Not as slick, certainly not as all-immersing, but still wonderful just as it is. Changing it significantly would be like colorizing "Miracle on 34th Street." Oh, wait...

People Mover - yes, bring back the old narration!

CoP - I personally didn't like this one as a kid and haven't been back on as an adult. Maybe our next trip we'll check it out to see if my opinion has changed. I wouldn't update it, I would either leave it alone or take it out and replace it with something completely different.

Stitch's Escape - Can I say, this ride just disgusts me. When Stitch supposedly "burps" after eating nacho chips, the smell made me nearly throw up. Haven't been back on it, never will. Wasn't this facility used for a "mission to mars" kind of ride back in the 80s?

Buzz Lightyear - LOVE IT! My 6-year-old niece and I are on an equal playing field on this ride because it doesn't exist in video game format the way the Toy Story attraction in Hollywood Studios does. She can't shame me by defeating me severely! :-)

Astro Orbiter - See Space Mountain. :-) Seriously, it's another classic. Come on, it's not like you can't see what it does before you get in line.

Indycars - It's just so much fun for little kids to drive their parents around, and driving is in THEIR future, I can't imagine taking this attraction away. Sure, the engines are dirty and maybe should be replaced or upgraded, but kids love it.

Now, having said all that, my opinion is that Disney has dropped the ball in terms of depicting a true "Tomorrow" feeling in Tomorrowland. It's slick, and uncluttered, but also fairly sterile and monochromatic. I don't think anyone's image of the future is like that any longer. Maybe back in the 1960s or 1970s we thought the 21st century would be all stainless steel and other alloys with very little frills or natural materials, but now we know that's not the case. They need to modernize the environment around the attractions, and highlight some of the really cool technologies in communication, energy, and especially transportation, that have been developed in the last 40 years.

And DITCH STITCH. :-)
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by lonepalm » Nov Tue 15, 2011 10:39 pm

I honestly think that Disney should take some of that record breaking profit they earned and really give some TLC to the theme parks. I know they are doing an expensive expansion of Fantasyland, but all the parks need a lot of work. Also, AVATAR land in Animal Kingdom is exciting (I guess), but Future World in Epcot needs to actually be the future, and Tomorrowland definitely needs to be tomorrow. Hopefully they feel they need to be more on the ball with updating in order to keep up with the competition. I think they got too complacent and now it will take lots of money and time to get things back to the way they should be.

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Nov Tue 15, 2011 11:58 pm

dstrawn9889 wrote:SO DIAC, what would you add to the 'vision of the future that never was?'
To be honest, I haven't put much thought to it, I just don't like much of the stuff that's currently there. Monster's Inc is not bad by any means (surprisingly edgy at times...) but I feel like it would fit better in Fantasyland. Buzz Lightyear feels dated with the far-far superior Toy Story Mania close by. The Buzz theme can stay, since it is mildly futuristic, but make it a faster, slightly more intense ride that pits you in that same type of mayhem.

Carosel of Progress can benefit from more advanced audio-animatronics and a totally different final scene. Stitch should be replaced with a fun little "House of the Future" style attraction that can test the imaginations of both the Imagineers and the guests.

All in all, what we need is more creative thoughts as to what our future holds. It doesn't have to be too realistic, that job should be reserved for Future World at Epcot. But Tomorrowland needs to revert away from whatever theme it currently is and transform back into this Jetsons-style land full of wonder, opportunity, and optimism.