Is your Disney vacation a benefit to your health?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

dwellsbct
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Is your Disney vacation a benefit to your health?

Post by dwellsbct » Nov Sun 06, 2011 1:44 pm

I was thinking... when I visit WDW I walk a whole heck of a lot more than I do at home... So I figure visiting WDW is a healthy vacation, right ?
:wave:
:nemo: :goofy_bounce:
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
W.Disney

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Is your Disney vacation a benefit to your health?

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 06, 2011 2:22 pm

dwellsbct wrote:I was thinking... when I visit WDW I walk a whole heck of a lot more than I do at home... So I figure visiting WDW is a healthy vacation, right ?
:wave:
:nemo: :goofy_bounce:
The walking is good...but it depends on how much food you end up eating and whether you drink more pop than normal whether it all washes out in the end. It certainly is good for mental health :D

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Nov Sun 06, 2011 2:31 pm

Depends on what you eat and how much of it. Living so close, I don't always eat in the parks so walking as much as most of us do is good exercise. However, someone from out of town/state/country is more likely to eat a bunch of burgers, fries, snacks and drink a bunch of (soda) pop while on vacation there so they probably gain a little weight if not break even.

Eating smart on a day I'm in the park(s), my best weight loss for a day is five pounds. Take it for what you will.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Sun 06, 2011 3:16 pm

Mixed bag, ignoring the increased movement, you are hopefully less stressed. Though there are those anal people who literally have everything planned down to the second and then lose their collective s**t when something takes them off plan, hillarious to watch btw. The walking is good, but if you are also consuming more fats, carbs, etc. than you would normally do at home then you might also be doing worse.

For some people a relaxing vacation is only going to some place where there is nothing/very little to do all day and others like vacations where you have tons of options.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Nov Mon 07, 2011 4:52 pm

IDK about all ya'll but on the DDP, i was like enough! at lunch... nevermind dinner! OMG the sheer amount of food available in the DDP(three sit-down) meals is ridiculous. and i am NOT talking about hamburgers here. Via Napoli? jeez its good, but huge portions... i eat healthier there than at home tho, and all the walking/running around, i feel even better the next day, and the next, and the next, and by the last day, i wanted to get up at 0700 and jog form POR riverside to FQ and back...

CarolwoodPacific
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by CarolwoodPacific » Nov Tue 08, 2011 9:38 am

If thinking of it as a "healthy vacation" helps you justify more trips, then I fully support that. :) I figure all the walking justifies a lot of premium Mickey bars and strawberry tarts from France. I second the comment about it being good for mental health - it's nice to leave the "real world" behind for a few days when you're there.

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Nov Tue 08, 2011 11:14 am

CarolwoodPacific wrote:If thinking of it as a "healthy vacation" helps you justify more trips, then I fully support that. :) I figure all the walking justifies a lot of premium Mickey bars and strawberry tarts from France. I second the comment about it being good for mental health - it's nice to leave the "real world" behind for a few days when you're there.
Maybe I can get my Dr. to perscribe a trip ASAP :goofy_bounce: :hm_ghost: :hatter_bounce: :ccat:

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Nov Tue 08, 2011 11:26 am

Sharonofwindham wrote:
CarolwoodPacific wrote:If thinking of it as a "healthy vacation" helps you justify more trips, then I fully support that. :) I figure all the walking justifies a lot of premium Mickey bars and strawberry tarts from France. I second the comment about it being good for mental health - it's nice to leave the "real world" behind for a few days when you're there.
Maybe I can get my Dr. to perscribe a trip ASAP :goofy_bounce: :hm_ghost: :hatter_bounce: :ccat:
Oh, if it's doctor prescribed does that mean my health insurance will pay for it?
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Nov Tue 08, 2011 11:40 am

A Disney vacation is most definitely a benefit to my health and my wonderful husband too! If I don't have a Disney vacation planned then I can be quite, shall we say, fussy?? :cry: So even when just getting back from a trip... I work on the next trip already! :D

My suggestion for good mental health in this crazy world we live in is (3) trips a year! :shock:
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 08, 2011 12:17 pm

cousininmiami wrote:A Disney vacation is most definitely a benefit to my health and my wonderful husband too! If I don't have a Disney vacation planned then I can be quite, shall we say, fussy?? :cry: So even when just getting back from a trip... I work on the next trip already! :D

My suggestion for good mental health in this crazy world we live in is (3) trips a year! :shock:
Ahhh, the joys and benefits of living in the same state as the mouse ;)

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Nov Tue 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Amy wrote:Ahhh, the joys and benefits of living in the same state as the mouse ;)
Yes, this is true! :D However getting away is not that easy, our family schedule is a matrix that would rival any small country! :? That is why we plan waaaaaaaaay in advance! I still never believe we are actually going until we are on the Turnpike headed North, and exactly 1 month from now I will be on the Turnpike headed North! I can't tell you how many Christmas trips I have planned and cancelled over the years! It has been 8 years since my last and only trip around the holidays to WDW, I can't wait!!! And I think this time it will really happen, all the stars seem to be properly aligned... hold my breath for another 30 days! :D
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 08, 2011 1:21 pm

cousininmiami wrote:
Amy wrote:Ahhh, the joys and benefits of living in the same state as the mouse ;)
Yes, this is true! :D However getting away is not that easy, our family schedule is a matrix that would rival any small country! :? That is why we plan waaaaaaaaay in advance! I still never believe we are actually going until we are on the Turnpike headed North, and exactly 1 month from now I will be on the Turnpike headed North! I can't tell you how many Christmas trips I have planned and cancelled over the years! It has been 8 years since my last and only trip around the holidays to WDW, I can't wait!!! And I think this time it will really happen, all the stars seem to be properly aligned... hold my breath for another 30 days! :D
I hope you can make it for the holidays ~ it is always so beautifully decorated then :D

dwellsbct

Post by dwellsbct » Nov Tue 08, 2011 1:31 pm

cousininmiami wrote:
Good luck Cousin!!! :goofy_bounce:
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
W.Disney

CarolwoodPacific
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by CarolwoodPacific » Nov Tue 08, 2011 3:17 pm

agingerbugg wrote:
Sharonofwindham wrote:
Oh, if it's doctor prescribed does that mean my health insurance will pay for it?
I like the way you think. I am pretty sure that's how it works, but I'll let you find out first.

Next month will be my first trip EVER during the holidays.

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by lonepalm » Nov Thu 10, 2011 11:24 pm

It certainly can't be bad for your health! It is definitely refreshing. However, the little while after we leave to go back home is certainly NOT good for your health!

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!