Post by MadEye » Nov Tue 01, 2011 10:19 am

We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Talking M&G Mickey debuts at MK

Post by Len90 » Nov Tue 01, 2011 10:35 am

This was posted in the parks blog: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... ks+Blog%29

I was actually surprised at how well it sounds and it really does seem like a great thing for children. However, does the physical appearance seem a little off or is it just my imagination?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

agingerbugg
PeopleMover People Mover
PeopleMover People Mover

Post by agingerbugg » Nov Tue 01, 2011 10:49 am

I don't think it looks that odd, but is it fully interactive? Like could Mickey reply to whatever the child asks? I know this is a promo video and the shoe question could be a plant.

For me, this will make the experience all that much better. When I was really young, I never understood why the characters didn't speak, it kinda made it unreal.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Nov Tue 01, 2011 12:05 pm

agingerbugg wrote:I don't think it looks that odd, but is it fully interactive? Like could Mickey reply to whatever the child asks?
If I remember correctly from the Disneyland videos, yes.
― Dr. Seuss

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 01, 2011 12:10 pm

It could be more like the Mobile Muppet Lab where the voice artist is hooked up remotely through internet by camera and microphone. Mickey could be bluetoothed LOL. With technology nowadays, there's many different ways they can set this up.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Len90 wrote:This was posted in the parks blog: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... ks+Blog%29

I was actually surprised at how well it sounds and it really does seem like a great thing for children. However, does the physical appearance seem a little off or is it just my imagination?
It sort of looks like his ears are a bit different shaped than the "regular" Mickey.
I would agree with mindflipper that the voice artist is somewhere close and controlling the movement of Mickey and his voice. I wouldn't think they would go to the trouble of having an animated Mickey if it wasn't able to be completely interactive.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Tue 01, 2011 12:36 pm

I was surprised, Mickey looks better and sounds better than I thought! I think I would have to see it in person to make my final judement call though. :wink:

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Nov Tue 01, 2011 1:21 pm

mindflipper wrote:It could be more like the Mobile Muppet Lab where the voice artist is hooked up remotely through internet by camera and microphone. Mickey could be bluetoothed LOL. With technology nowadays, there's many different ways they can set this up.
I'll disagree because for the performer, it would be very difficult to know what someone else was going to say to a guest/guests comment and act accordingly.
― Dr. Seuss

NaCler
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by NaCler » Nov Tue 01, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm actually glad they didn't roll this out last week while we were there. The talking/blinking characters are creepy enough in the castle stage show, I can't imagine how weird it would be face to face.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 01, 2011 9:47 pm

NaCler wrote:I'm actually glad they didn't roll this out last week while we were there. The talking/blinking characters are creepy enough in the castle stage show, I can't imagine how weird it would be face to face.
Oh but you'll have to try it if he's out while you're there...right?!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Nov Tue 01, 2011 9:50 pm

Amy - yep, because I am going to try and get momma to get her pic taken with every character possible, just for fun.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Tue 01, 2011 10:03 pm

NaCler wrote:Amy - yep, because I am going to try and get momma to get her pic taken with every character possible, just for fun.
That sounds like it will make for an interesting trip report :D Good luck getting all the characters :mickey:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Nov Tue 01, 2011 10:48 pm

Throughout the day I keep coming back to this trying to figure out what doesn't seem right to me. Here's what I have realized:

1. The ears are just not right. They seem to be improperly shaped and the location seems slightly off. I also am not a fan of how bent back they are
2. The whole mouth area. I know this is to make the mouth move, but looking closely you can see it throws off everything. Mickey loses out on curve in the middle of the mouth (bottom portion) and also loses some of his cheeks.
3. The blinking eyes are slightly larger than the non blinking eyes.
4. Mickey is always with Minnie here. Does anyone think it's odd that Mickey will be talking and blinking while Minnie will just stand there?
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Tue 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Minnie is probably also interactive, Len90, they just concentrated the video on Mickey. And they probably filmed together for the video, but that doesn't mean they will be together like that for the M&G...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Wed 02, 2011 6:18 am

Len90 wrote:Throughout the day I keep coming back to this trying to figure out what doesn't seem right to me. Here's what I have realized:

1. The ears are just not right. They seem to be improperly shaped and the location seems slightly off. I also am not a fan of how bent back they are
2. The whole mouth area. I know this is to make the mouth move, but looking closely you can see it throws off everything. Mickey loses out on curve in the middle of the mouth (bottom portion) and also loses some of his cheeks.
3. The blinking eyes are slightly larger than the non blinking eyes.
4. Mickey is always with Minnie here. Does anyone think it's odd that Mickey will be talking and blinking while Minnie will just stand there?
mindflipper wrote:Minnie is probably also interactive, Len90, they just concentrated the video on Mickey. And they probably filmed together for the video, but that doesn't mean they will be together like that for the M&G...
I agree with mindflipper on Minnie also being interactive since they are both blinky in the castle stage show, but I am also antici....pating a misogynist comment is sure to come from Wizz :roll: ;)
Yes, his head is a little differently shaped and I'm sure it has to do with the internal controls of the blinking, talking, what have you. I wonder if you might like it more in person than in the video...
Could you be more worried that you will hear what Mickey is going to say about you crushing on his girl?! ;) :lol: