Favorite Counter Service meals at WDW?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Re: Favorite Counter Service meals at WDW?

Post by MadEye » Jan Mon 16, 2012 8:06 pm

I was getting into the Golden Oak in Frontierland (across from the side entrance of Pecos Bills). They had a nice chicken ranch sandwich but then they scaled back the menu to the point where its just like everything else you can find on property. :evil: :cry:
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Mon 16, 2012 8:11 pm

disneylizzy wrote:Our favs are the shwarma combination plate at Tangeriene Cafe in Epcot (followed by the bakery in France - those ham & cheese croissants are good!), taco salad at Pecos Bills in Magic Kingdom, any barbeque plate at Flame Tree in Animal Kingdom and nothing is really tasty to us at Hollywood Studios so we usually do the standard WDW pizza at Pizza Planet there, but I wouldn't call that a favorite.
Ditto on the ham/cheese croissants- I love those things!!! :)

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Mon 16, 2012 8:27 pm

beignets at POFQ... worth the trot from POR.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jan Mon 16, 2012 8:32 pm

dstrawn9889 wrote:beignets at POFQ... worth the trot from POR.
Don't even get me started.... :D And they have a really good chicken-sausage gumbo too. Mmm.

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Mon 16, 2012 8:35 pm

lemmie tell you, i would get up and trot over for JUST ME... forget the kids and 'rents!!! they snoozed and lost. they are not good after carrying them that far and allowed to cool

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Tue 17, 2012 8:37 am

dstrawn9889 wrote:lemmie tell you, i would get up and trot over for JUST ME... forget the kids and 'rents!!! they snoozed and lost. they are not good after carrying them that far and allowed to cool
:lol: You could always get them an order and then have to eat it for them since they aren't as good cold ;) :lo:

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by northernmousefan2007 » Jan Tue 17, 2012 4:21 pm

Amy wrote: So you don't get much of a break on lobster prices in Maine?! At least you know it is fresh :D
The price here has been pretty stable for a while at $6-8 a pound. They cook it for free at most stores also. You can also buy it from the lobstermen directly for a big discount, but its not available from them year round.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Jan Wed 18, 2012 10:11 am

Soarin08 wrote:
disneylizzy wrote:Our favs are the shwarma combination plate at Tangeriene Cafe in Epcot (followed by the bakery in France - those ham & cheese croissants are good!), taco salad at Pecos Bills in Magic Kingdom, any barbeque plate at Flame Tree in Animal Kingdom and nothing is really tasty to us at Hollywood Studios so we usually do the standard WDW pizza at Pizza Planet there, but I wouldn't call that a favorite.
Ditto on the ham/cheese croissants- I love those things!!! :)
Yes they are heaven!

Has anyone tried the new & improved counter service in the Japanese Pavillion at EPCOT yet? They have new menu offerings & expanded seating now. It looks pretty good, just haven't tried it yet.

northernmousefan2007
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by northernmousefan2007 » Jan Wed 18, 2012 4:39 pm

What is the shwarma combination plate at Tangeriene Cafe?

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Wed 18, 2012 4:47 pm

tangerine menu, courtesy of allears.net

http://allears.net/menu/men_tg.htm

think its shaved lamb and chicken with all the trimmings
Last edited by dstrawn9889 on Jan Wed 18, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Jan Wed 18, 2012 4:58 pm

northernmousefan2007 wrote:What is the shwarma combination plate at Tangeriene Cafe?
It is shaved lamb and shaved chicken - very similar to gyro meat, so if you like that you'd like this. If you're only going to do one meat, they are both good but I prefer the lamb. It also comes with couscous (sweet with raisins), tabouli (made with parsley), hummus and bread. It is all very flavorful and yummy!

We love shwarma and don't get much of it where we live so its a nice treat at World Showcase.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 18, 2012 7:27 pm

disneylizzy wrote:
northernmousefan2007 wrote:What is the shwarma combination plate at Tangeriene Cafe?
It is shaved lamb and shaved chicken - very similar to gyro meat, so if you like that you'd like this. If you're only going to do one meat, they are both good but I prefer the lamb. It also comes with couscous (sweet with raisins), tabouli (made with parsley), hummus and bread. It is all very flavorful and yummy!

We love shwarma and don't get much of it where we live so its a nice treat at World Showcase.
We had the Moroccan slider plate and had much the same as you did. There was no beef, only lamb, chicken and falafel. I really liked the lamb, my Mom enjoyed the chicken and neither of us thought too much of the falafel as it was dreadfully dry. The tabouli was interesting. It was a nice change to try something completely new for us.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Jan Thu 19, 2012 10:36 am

Amy wrote:
disneylizzy wrote:

We had the Moroccan slider plate and had much the same as you did. There was no beef, only lamb, chicken and falafel. I really liked the lamb, my Mom enjoyed the chicken and neither of us thought too much of the falafel as it was dreadfully dry. The tabouli was interesting. It was a nice change to try something completely new for us.
I really like it too. Also, this may be completely false (but don't burst my bubble!) but it "seems" healthier than some of the other options in World Showcase - like the Mexican pavillion or the cheese croissant in France.

We don't eat the counter service in Animal Kingdom much, but we're going there tomorrow! I don't know if we'll do Flame Tree (which we rarely do) or Restaurantasaurus (which we've never done due to the fast-foody menu.) Then its a stop at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for some zebra domes to go!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Thu 19, 2012 12:08 pm

disneylizzy wrote:I really like it too. Also, this may be completely false (but don't burst my bubble!) but it "seems" healthier than some of the other options in World Showcase - like the Mexican pavillion or the cheese croissant in France.

We don't eat the counter service in Animal Kingdom much, but we're going there tomorrow! I don't know if we'll do Flame Tree (which we rarely do) or Restaurantasaurus (which we've never done due to the fast-foody menu.) Then its a stop at the Animal Kingdom Lodge for some zebra domes to go!
I would guess the Tangerine Cafe is a bit healthier than the other options. Especially if you do like we did and share one meal. That was plenty of food for two, although there wasn't a lot of meat so big meat eaters would be disappointed.
Be careful if you go to Restaurantosaurus. F1gment had an undercooked burger there two years back. They refunded the money but sadly didn't seem very concerned about the undercooked meat :shock: She wouldn't eat there this past trip because of that experience. But we did get her a turkey leg from the cart right before you go under the huge dinosaur bridge and we took it to the Restaurantosaurus so she could eat it at a table. And I went and got a hot dog at the Dino Diner and brought that back to eat there with her. It was nice to be in the air conditioning instead of broiling on the hot pavement that is Dinoland :roll:

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Thu 19, 2012 12:42 pm

undercooked hamburger? the Best burger is done to medium IMHO... i would have paid them extra for that burger. LOL, that is if i saw them grind the meat on-site (yeah right). very little cause for concern though, it would be like eating a medium steak.