Your Absolute Favorite WDW Resort

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Your Absolute Favorite WDW Resort

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Sat 24, 2011 10:59 am

What is your favorite WDW Resort to stay at, and why? Pros and cons if you have any. I've only stayed at two resorts, Boardwalk, and Ft. Wilderness, so this is sort of like research for future visits :mickey2:

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Re: Your Absolute Favorite WDW Resort

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Mmm'kay... here is where I've stayed-

1. Hilton at Downtown Disney
2. Coronado Springs
3. Port Orleans Riverside
4. Ft. Wilderness (cabins)
5. All Star Sports
6. All Star Movies
7. Pop Century
8. Grand Floridian
9. Animal Kingdom Lodge
10. Saratoga Springs (treehouse villas)

Since I've stayed in all the categories, my breakdown would be for value, POP CENTURY. Hands-down. Best bus service I've seen, the front desk service is efficient and fast, the food court has a GREAT variety of meals (I know several of the chefs and they can create anything special for dietary needs no matter what the situation or how busy the resort is), the theming is top-notch, and it's the overall cheapest for all of this! It doesn't get much better.

For a moderate, between the two, I prefer Port Orleans Riverside, mostly for the theming, seeing as I am from the South. It's also tied to Port Orleans French Quarter, so the dining options are twice that of other resorts, and the boat service to DTD is a plus.

We all know my opinion on Ft. Wilderness, moving on...

I'd be inclined to stay DVC again at Saratoga without a moment's hesitation. Stayed in the treehouses as part of a cast member preview event and I'd love to go back to them for a stay with my family. If you can get the points, BEST option in my opinion. The treehouses are nicer than my house....

My all-time favourite is the Grand Floridian, however. I just love the grandeur and elegance... 13 of us (yes, 13, it was my Relief Society group- Relief Society is a Mormon thing, Google it) booked a room there and split the cost on my first internship and we all agreed it was the best place we'd ever stayed, on property or off.

However, the DTD area non-Disney hotels are good too- we still talk about going back to the Hilton for another stay (my family stayed there on our first trip in 1997). This resort offers all the benefits such as EMH so it's worth it to stay there if you can't necessarily get on-property at one of the more "official" resorts.

There you have it!

Though note I HAVE visited all on-property hotels and resorts, so I know every single one of them quite well, but you asked about where we'd stayed, so that's where all this came from. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Soarin08 on Sep Sat 24, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Wow ~ impressive list Soarin' How do the off-site hotels offer EMH? Isn't that supposed to be a Disney hotel perk?

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 24, 2011 8:57 pm

The Hilton is the only one offering the perk; according to one of my guidebooks, it is officially run BY WDW and therefore can offer EMH. The others apparently are not and therefore don't qualify. That was a little misleading the way I worded it, so I fixed that. :) The Hilton is VERY nice, on par with many of the other themed resorts on property, especially after the renovation in I believe it was 2008. I remember we were on the 8th floor when we stayed there and could see the ToT from our room.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Soarin08 wrote:The Hilton is the only one offering the perk; according to one of my guidebooks, it is officially run BY WDW and therefore can offer EMH. The others apparently are not and therefore don't qualify. That was a little misleading the way I worded it, so I fixed that. :) The Hilton is VERY nice, on par with many of the other themed resorts on property, especially after the renovation in I believe it was 2008. I remember we were on the 8th floor when we stayed there and could see the ToT from our room.
Ahhh, thanks! One more question on the Hilton, does it offer bus service to the parks then?

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Sat 24, 2011 9:27 pm

Amy wrote:
Soarin08 wrote:The Hilton is the only one offering the perk; according to one of my guidebooks, it is officially run BY WDW and therefore can offer EMH. The others apparently are not and therefore don't qualify. That was a little misleading the way I worded it, so I fixed that. :) The Hilton is VERY nice, on par with many of the other themed resorts on property, especially after the renovation in I believe it was 2008. I remember we were on the 8th floor when we stayed there and could see the ToT from our room.
Ahhh, thanks! One more question on the Hilton, does it offer bus service to the parks then?
All DTD resorts do, grouped into A and B. The buses are labelled as such, and the resorts fall into either the A or B group for bus service. For example, if the Hilton was in the A group, you'd catch the bus labelled that (there are areas at all parks and DTD for these hotels). Mears was the one who provided the service when we first went (my sister and I LOVED how the compartment under the bus was used to store the strollers), not sure who it is now... I bet Len would know. :mrgreen:

I actually really recommend looking into the Hilton if you want a nice hotel without shelling out all the money for the deluxes.

Arete

Post by Arete » Sep Sun 25, 2011 8:27 pm

I've stayed at:
All Star Music
Pop Century
Port Orleans Riverside
Port Orleans French Quarter
Wilderness Lodge

Of those my favorite is Riverside, hands down. It's just so beautiful, lush, quiet. I recommend a third floor room in one of the mansions (Parterre is our fave), with a water view if you can get one.

I much preferred Pop over the All Stars. I hope the new resort opposite Pop will be awesome, too. I'd love to stay in one of the suites.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Sep Sun 25, 2011 10:56 pm

I've stayed at:
-Polynesian
-Contemporary
-Dixie Landings (now PORS)
-POFQ
-Coronado
-Caribbean Beach Resort
-Boardwalk
-Yacht Club

My absolute favorite is the Poly. I have fond memories of this resort starting when I was 3. That was when my Disney addiction started! My grandparents (who are no longer with us) were with my family and I for my first visit. The smells at the Poly and water pageant still bring back vivid memories for me. I love all things tropical so I adore the theming of this resort. The location can't be beat, the views are spectacular and so are the rooms! B-dude and I also honeymooned here, so this resort reminds me of all things happy! :D It was also the meet up location for the Mayhem Marauders last Dec, which is just an addition to my happy memories here! Geez, do you get the idea this resort makes me happy?!

A close second for me is the Yacht Club! Really love the theming and location of this reosrt along with the awesome Storm Along Bay!

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Mon 26, 2011 11:34 am

boilerbabe wrote:I've stayed at:
-Polynesian
-Contemporary
-Dixie Landings (now PORS)
-POFQ
-Coronado
-Caribbean Beach Resort
-Boardwalk
-Yacht Club

My absolute favorite is the Poly. I have fond memories of this resort starting when I was 3. That was when my Disney addiction started! My grandparents (who are no longer with us) were with my family and I for my first visit. The smells at the Poly and water pageant still bring back vivid memories for me. I love all things tropical so I adore the theming of this resort. The location can't be beat, the views are spectacular and so are the rooms! B-dude and I also honeymooned here, so this resort reminds me of all things happy! :D It was also the meet up location for the Mayhem Marauders last Dec, which is just an addition to my happy memories here! Geez, do you get the idea this resort makes me happy?!

A close second for me is the Yacht Club! Really love the theming and location of this reosrt along with the awesome Storm Along Bay!
I love the theming of the Poly as well, and I love water features! Anything, fountains, streams, pools, and the Poly seems to have the best of them all :D! I also love the theming of the beach club, and of course the great pool, so they have always been at the top of my list too :D .

Sharonofwindham

Post by Sharonofwindham » Sep Mon 26, 2011 11:38 am

Arete wrote:I've stayed at:
All Star Music
Pop Century
Port Orleans Riverside
Port Orleans French Quarter
Wilderness Lodge

Of those my favorite is Riverside, hands down. It's just so beautiful, lush, quiet. I recommend a third floor room in one of the mansions (Parterre is our fave), with a water view if you can get one.

I much preferred Pop over the All Stars. I hope the new resort opposite Pop will be awesome, too. I'd love to stay in one of the suites.
Thanks for the info on Port Orleans Riverside. Never been, and I really like the sound of it :D . I will definitely consider staying there someday :hatter_bounce: !

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Sep Mon 26, 2011 12:10 pm

I am enjoying all of the insight! We've never stayed at a WDW resort before so I cannot give my opinion, but lots of great info here! :D

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Sep Mon 26, 2011 10:25 pm

MmeLeota wrote:I am enjoying all of the insight! We've never stayed at a WDW resort before so I cannot give my opinion, but lots of great info here! :D
Well you'll love Caribbean Beach! :) Even though I've never stayed in the rooms it's my favourite moderate. Mostly for the food. :mrgreen:

Sleepy90
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Sleepy90 » Sep Tue 27, 2011 1:25 am

I've stayed at:-
All Stars Movies
All Stars Music
Port Orleans Riverside

Not a long list I know but I have stayed off site in Villa's a few times, however once we stayed on site we never went back.

My favorite from these has to be Port Orleans Riverside. What a beautiful setting this resort has very Gone with the Wind big on southern charm and a superb entertainer in the bar area I believe his name is Bob. The boats to DTD are a very pleasant way to travel. You can walk along the path and river to the French Quarter were we will be staying in February or you can take a horse and carriage ride in the evenings.

I would quite happily stay at All Stars again though, what can I say I love the chaos of the cheerleaders practicing outside your room remembering of course that we are there in Feb most years.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Tue 27, 2011 6:19 am

Sleepy90 wrote:I've stayed at:-
All Stars Movies
All Stars Music
Port Orleans Riverside

Not a long list I know but I have stayed off site in Villa's a few times, however once we stayed on site we never went back.

My favorite from these has to be Port Orleans Riverside. What a beautiful setting this resort has very Gone with the Wind big on southern charm and a superb entertainer in the bar area I believe his name is Bob. The boats to DTD are a very pleasant way to travel. You can walk along the path and river to the French Quarter were we will be staying in February or you can take a horse and carriage ride in the evenings.

I would quite happily stay at All Stars again though, what can I say I love the chaos of the cheerleaders practicing outside your room remembering of course that we are there in Feb most years.
Do you remember what the cost of a horse and carriage ride is Sleepy? That might be a fun experience for F1gment the next time we go. Is is available to guests not staying at the resort?
We generally choose the All Stars. We've stayed in Sports a few times and this past visit we stayed at Music. We stayed at the Caribbean Beach many years ago and we didn't care for the food court there at all. The All Stars might not be fancy, but we don't spend much time in the room or the resort except for sleeping and breakfast in the morning. And if we get back before midnight, a drink from the drink station :D
{We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel on the concierge level a few times. Now that is nice! Free light brekkie in the morning, bottled water and soda throughout the day, snacks during the day (which we were never there for), and the best part was milk and cookies in the evening while you watched the fireworks with the music piped in! But we would never be able to afford concierge service at WDW for the length of stay we usually are there for :shock: }

summermouse
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by summermouse » Sep Tue 27, 2011 7:47 am

Hands down my favorite is the Poly. There's no place like it on Earth, well except maybe Sandals in Jamaica, but hey that's not Disney. I love the atmosphere, the cast members, the rooms, the beach, the electric water parade, the boat rentals, the pool, the pool bar... I could go on and on. It is pricey to stay there, which is why I only do so for special occasions but I love, love, love the Poly!!

Summer