All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: AVATAR coming to WDW

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Tue 21, 2014 10:59 pm

Well if they are going for a franchise that be forgotten in a generation, then they are right on track with HP (why anyone would build a land off a dead franchise is beyond me).

jderoche5
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by jderoche5 » Jan Wed 22, 2014 8:07 am

What happened to the Avatar sequel that would have made this move by Disney more solid? Avatar is almost all but forgotten at this point. Too much time has passed now unless they plan on releasing another movie to coincide with the opening of this land.
Jessica
Always remember that it was started by a mouse…...

http://instagram.com/jderoche5

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Wed 22, 2014 9:05 am

jderoche5 wrote:What happened to the Avatar sequel that would have made this move by Disney more solid? Avatar is almost all but forgotten at this point. Too much time has passed now unless they plan on releasing another movie to coincide with the opening of this land.
I bet there is a sequel in the works...

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Jan Wed 22, 2014 9:42 am

Amy wrote:
jderoche5 wrote:What happened to the Avatar sequel that would have made this move by Disney more solid? Avatar is almost all but forgotten at this point. Too much time has passed now unless they plan on releasing another movie to coincide with the opening of this land.
I bet there is a sequel in the works...
According to IMDB the sequel is set to release in 2016.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

DaRkNeSs
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by DaRkNeSs » Jan Wed 22, 2014 5:36 pm

Come on it is Disney I would hope that they are not that stupid to not have the sequel release near the parks new area release that would make perfect sense! You could promote both movie and park experience at the same time! :donald:
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!

jderoche5

Post by jderoche5 » Jan Wed 22, 2014 7:54 pm

Well good….Not sure why I ever doubted they would do it right. I guess the whole situation has been too slow going since it was announced eons ago.
Jessica
Always remember that it was started by a mouse…...

http://instagram.com/jderoche5

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Wed 22, 2014 10:47 pm

I thought that is what they were going to do from the start, open the land for the first one and then release another ride with the 3rd movie in the trilogy. Since they will presumably be tied to the plots, they would need to make sure to not introduce any spoilers or confusing content.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jan Fri 24, 2014 9:43 am

I don't understand why Universal seems to be able to open rides and attractions so fast (all the new Harry Potter stuff) and Disney seems to take forever. The Avatar announcement came a long time ago and seems to still be many years to complete. Just saying'....
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Fri 24, 2014 2:17 pm

Universal usually takes a while too, with the harry potter area they already had most of the attractions built, and concepts were based upon film designs so it was not as much creating original designs so much as translating set design to theme park work. Also, since they were using a live action franchise, they had to get everything filmed ASAP because the actors already are too old to be convincing.

They also, if I recall, started construction after the last movie was released, so they had that time constraint as well since they are working with a dead franchise.

With Pandora, aside from gauging the reception by the public, they also had to wait for the scripts to be finished before they could start development.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Fri 24, 2014 2:19 pm

beacuse they can bid out the build... disney shows are done by IMAGINEERING, Period. anything done as a monopoly means it takes longer, and costs more. Imagineering has a small set of contractors they use... so no bidding, and it takes what it takes to get it done, unless we tell you it is more.

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Fri 24, 2014 2:21 pm

the upside is where you are responsible instead of a contractor, it gets done the way it is spelled out on the plans, and supposedly works the way it is supposed to... not like Amity was in USO. (i want no disco yeti references attached here, that was a poor design from the foundation up)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Fri 24, 2014 2:33 pm

A large portion of Imagineering are "Contract" (they use Temp Full-Time to get around labor laws), because Disney doesn't need designers 24/7 for most projects. If I recall, the full time staff are the ones who create the base concepts but then the stuff that is fleshed out for details like how rides will actually look, shops, etc. are all contract artists. This is also how Universal has been able to catch up to Disney in terms of design, since the artists are not owned by Disney they are able to pick them up as project hires as well so you have people like Don Carson (designed Toontown, Adventureland (for WDW), and other attractions) also designed the shops and look for Harry Potter.
Universal benefits by having access to a pool of trained talent with experience in the industry, doesn't have to play the waiting game for them to get up to speed, and doesn't even have to provide benefits. If they really wanted to take the lead, they could hire them full time, blocking their ability to work for Disney.

dstrawn9889

Post by dstrawn9889 » Jan Fri 24, 2014 2:36 pm

And that is how 'beastly kingdomme' ended up in IoA (the dueling dragon coaster and the unicorn rollercaoster, left lock stock and barrell from disney to Uni during a downsizing of Imagineers/concept artists.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Fri 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Not quite, since they are under NDAs, if they designed the coaster for Disney (as in had concepts and such), were terminated, and then did the same for the competition, they would be sued. Unless Disney gave them permission, and we all know WDC is such fans of giving away concepts, IPs, and such for free. :D

DaRkNeSs

Post by DaRkNeSs » Jan Sat 25, 2014 10:00 am

One question :hm_ghost: has anyone heard if Disney is going to add in some of the wildlife from pandora to the avatar land being that a lot of the movie was wildlife driven? Will it be in "quote" holding areas or in buildings I wonder! I also hope that they do not try to go to far with a particular idea much like they did with the yeti only to have it never truly work properly! :donald:
Look for the Bear necessities!!! Trust in me, just in me Shut your eyes and trust in me You can sleep safe and sound Knowing I am around!!