All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Re: AVATAR coming to WDW

Post by cy1229 » Feb Tue 14, 2017 10:07 am

Wizzard419 wrote:Most of the shows at WDW have been around so long they are stale. While it is neat to think "Oh, parents who grew up with these films will show them to their kids" it usually doesn't happen since there is new stuff.

My guess, as to why they never remove/revamp is that the shows are cheapish to put on and replacement would require shutting it down, building new everything, and training a new cast, which means your park is now without an attraction for an extended period.
Plus, I'm not sure there's something newer that has the all-around appeal of Lion King while also having an animal theme to fit in Animal Kingdom. Lord knows we don't need anything else Frozen or Star Wars. LUCKILY neither of them fit Animal Kingdom. For now.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Tue 14, 2017 2:30 pm

Depending on how Avatar 2-5 do, they may expand the land further. It seems like a risky move, even though the announcement of the project was near the release of the film/announcement of the series continuing. If the next movie flops so hard it kills the franchise then Disney will be stuck with a land that they cannot do much with.

Epcotmaniac
Autopian Mechanic
Autopian Mechanic

Post by Epcotmaniac » Feb Thu 16, 2017 12:06 pm

After watching the movie last week I think it will be difficult to make 4 successful sequels. It's not Star Wars and they waited to long to release the first sequel.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Feb Fri 17, 2017 9:57 am

Epcotmaniac wrote:After watching the movie last week I think it will be difficult to make 4 successful sequels. It's not Star Wars and they waited to long to release the first sequel.
I don't see how they can have even one sequel. They didn't really leave anywhere to go except rehashing the same plot from the first one. Planet has something valuable. Humans move in and try to take it by force. Planet's inhabitants revolt. Some humans revolt, too. There's a big fight. Some people die.

So the sequel ... more humans moving in and try to take it by force?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Feb Sun 19, 2017 7:15 am

Idea for a sequel... How about a crippled human enters the planet and through advanced science, can walk again. He falls in love with one of the "aliens" and in turn, becomes one of them. Oh wait, can't do that again either.

Also, on the previous conversation about old shows. With the new release of Beauty and the Beast and the upcoming Lion King release, they have bought another 15 years of performing the same shows without having to spend a dime on them. Unfortunately, no new shows for us. For a "keep moving forward" company, Disney sure likes status quo on some things, if it means not having to spend the money.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Sun 19, 2017 11:31 am

That only works if the movie is considered a hit though... if they bomb hard then it could even kill the old show.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Feb Tue 28, 2017 9:04 am

Who among us will will be going on or near the opening of Avatar? Not me... I'm not fond of crowds. I will be waiting until things calm down there. Like in September when it's slower.
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Feb Tue 28, 2017 9:10 am

cousininmiami wrote:Who among us will will be going on or near the opening of Avatar? Not me... I'm not fond of crowds. I will be waiting until things calm down there. Like in September when it's slower.
I'm with you there. Can't stand crowds... sucks all the fun out of it. We'll go later.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Feb Tue 28, 2017 10:06 pm

Don't forget, unless things have changed, they also won't have all the attractions open at launch. There are only two rides, so you would be getting half the experience for the full price.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Feb Tue 28, 2017 10:42 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Don't forget, unless things have changed, they also won't have all the attractions open at launch. There are only two rides, so you would be getting half the experience for the full price.
That sounds like an anti-good deal.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Mar Thu 09, 2017 9:53 am

Personally, I didn't care for Avatar. Not even the visuals; it felt too CGI-ey to me and just not a great film. With that being said, I certainly understand some of the criticisms of this decision but at the same time everyone saying "But they're not real animals" - I'd offer that DAK has had a dragon perched upon its entry since day 1 and it's my understanding they always intended for there to be a "Mythical creature" land. I'd have preferred that to this, but I suspect they felt they'd be competing too closely with the Lost Continent/HP at IoA.

EDIT: Then again, I guess my criticisms apply to Star Wars too.

cy1229

Post by cy1229 » Mar Thu 09, 2017 10:57 am

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:Personally, I didn't care for Avatar. Not even the visuals; it felt too CGI-ey to me and just not a great film. With that being said, I certainly understand some of the criticisms of this decision but at the same time everyone saying "But they're not real animals" - I'd offer that DAK has had a dragon perched upon its entry since day 1 and it's my understanding they always intended for there to be a "Mythical creature" land. I'd have preferred that to this, but I suspect they felt they'd be competing too closely with the Lost Continent/HP at IoA.

BUT... Star Wars fits in with DHS far better than Avatarland fits in with DAK. My opinion, of course...

I never noticed the dragon at the entrance. If/when we go back I'll have to look for it.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Mar Thu 09, 2017 1:12 pm

Mr.ToadWildRider wrote:Personally, I didn't care for Avatar. Not even the visuals; it felt too CGI-ey to me and just not a great film. With that being said, I certainly understand some of the criticisms of this decision but at the same time everyone saying "But they're not real animals" - I'd offer that DAK has had a dragon perched upon its entry since day 1 and it's my understanding they always intended for there to be a "Mythical creature" land. I'd have preferred that to this, but I suspect they felt they'd be competing too closely with the Lost Continent/HP at IoA.

Right. I've been excited about that dragon for years. I welcome some really cool imaginary animal thing, as long as it didn't involve a really boring movie like Avatar. Like, it would be cool to do some more universal mythical creatures or explore them from across different cultures and times - dragons, Bigfoot, chupacabra, Loch Ness, merpeople, - we started with Yeti! Why stop there! :goofy_bounce:

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Thu 09, 2017 11:52 pm

The reason the Dragon/Beastly kingdom got yanked was because the NDAs they had on the Imagineering staff (mostly contract) didn't go far enough to stop Universal from buying up the same concepts.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Mar Fri 10, 2017 9:42 pm

And the series has been delayed again, with the 2018 release not happening. I want to know if this is still going to throw off the opening of the other ride.