All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Re: AVATAR coming to WDW

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sat 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Other than part of a tree, if a ride requires it, no... since they would be working with an entire planet, they could allow the tree to break into the line of sight for the land without it screwing up the theme of the land as well as they would be able to use it since there were multiple big trees.

They could also build another one if they really wanted to, but it probably would screw up the visual for the rest of the park.

Tower of Terror apparently works itself into the Moroccan pavilion (the only WS pavilion that it can be seen from) by using a similar color scheme so it blends.

fancyfeet
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by fancyfeet » Apr Sun 13, 2014 5:02 pm

Amy wrote:
fancyfeet wrote:OMG! Festival of the Lion King is closed for now while they build Avatar land??? I love FOTLK and would hate if I couldn't see it in September! Aaagghhh!!
Just checked and it is slated to reopen in Summer 2014 so you should be good :D
Thank goodness. I've never seen Avatar, though I probably should to appreciate a whole land about it, but I'm sure Disney will do it right.

kelpseaweedkelp
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by kelpseaweedkelp » Apr Sun 13, 2014 5:33 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:
Tower of Terror apparently works itself into the Moroccan pavilion (the only WS pavilion that it can be seen from) by using a similar color scheme so it blends.

Holy cow. You are totally right on. I never picked up on that. So smart, these people.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 13, 2014 11:16 pm

When they build tall things, they always prop up a balloon to represent the highest point on the structure. When they started planning for tower of terror at DCA, they had one flying to see how it would be viewed in DLR to determine if there would be a clash.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 14, 2014 8:03 am

Wizzard419 wrote:When they build tall things, they always prop up a balloon to represent the highest point on the structure. When they started planning for tower of terror at DCA, they had one flying to see how it would be viewed in DLR to determine if there would be a clash.
That is interesting!

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Apr Mon 14, 2014 11:49 am

Amy wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:When they build tall things, they always prop up a balloon to represent the highest point on the structure. When they started planning for tower of terror at DCA, they had one flying to see how it would be viewed in DLR to determine if there would be a clash.
That is interesting!
It's an innovative use of a common material, and the level of attention to detail that we've come to expect from Disney. I'm glad they think of things that most others wouldn't, as it ensures the complete experience is as it's intended (usually).
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Mon 14, 2014 2:17 pm

At DLR, they also have to do it to determine if there will be issues for the neighboring properties as well since building a massive structure would probably have some people complaining if their property value dropped due to the obstructed view.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Apr Mon 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:At DLR, they also have to do it to determine if there will be issues for the neighboring properties as well since building a massive structure would probably have some people complaining if their property value dropped due to the obstructed view.
Makes sense with DLR being so close to everything out there!

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Sun 29, 2017 12:18 am

Resurrecting this thread as it looks like we may have an OPENING date. Now, Disney is currently offering a Florida Resident 3 day ticket for $139 to be used from January 4 to June 9th. WITH EXCEPTION to the weeks of May 27th - June 9th at ANIMAL KINGDOM. This tells us that something big is going on during this time and since the Rivers of Light show doesn't look like it's opening ANY time soon, we can only assume that Pandora will open.

Thoughts now that it looks like we are finally getting AVATAR land?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 29, 2017 12:33 am

Because Imagineering shat the bed so hard with ROL, resulting in their entire headliner for the summer (Nights at AK) being a bust there were many lost in the Imagineering blood-letting. The show itself (if you've heard the music from the CD they released in SK and UK, I would upload it here but I forgot my credentials) sounds pretty weak and as a result they buried it and want to lump it in with the new land launching.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 29, 2017 1:18 am

NaCler wrote:Resurrecting this thread as it looks like we may have an OPENING date. Now, Disney is currently offering a Florida Resident 3 day ticket for $139 to be used from January 4 to June 9th. WITH EXCEPTION to the weeks of May 27th - June 9th at ANIMAL KINGDOM. This tells us that something big is going on during this time and since the Rivers of Light show doesn't look like it's opening ANY time soon, we can only assume that Pandora will open.

Thoughts now that it looks like we are finally getting AVATAR land?
Wow ~ didn't realize it was that close to opening already. Will be interesting to see what it looks like. I've not seen the movie yet, so I suppose that will be on the list before the next WDW trip! Kinda like we did with Cars before we went to DCA in 2013 so Carsland would make more sense.
Wizzard419 wrote:Because Imagineering shat the bed so hard with ROL, resulting in their entire headliner for the summer (Nights at AK) being a bust there were many lost in the Imagineering blood-letting. The show itself (if you've heard the music from the CD they released in SK and UK, I would upload it here but I forgot my credentials) sounds pretty weak and as a result they buried it and want to lump it in with the new land launching.
Bummer about the music. Maybe they will tweak it before they use it?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 29, 2017 2:23 am

That is the weird thing, it may not even be the music from the show if they do like WOC and dump it all for another score (they probably won't since the CEO reportedly said the show is too weak to stand on it's own). Things haven't been great for Disney over the last year or so, every division has had pocket layoffs (it dodges the WARN laws and stays off of the radar for the press), they got totally out of game publication, shutting down everything they had in the pipe, consumer products got hit hard too, Imagineering has nothing major to keep their workers busy for the future (probably no Epcot things in the near future, apparently they pulled permits a while back to start work but nothing happened) so they got gutted too.

What is neat, parks are now moving up to be the most valued division, what isn't so neat, they didn't grow in value but rather ESPN has dropped due to sports apparently being no longer immune to DVRs/online, which means ad rev is now down.

So anyway, the way this audio may have made it into the public's hands last month was that the digital release was likely all set up with medial retailers all over the world with the goal being it was to be released the same day as the show premiered. Show had problems, consumer products adjusts the release dates for the products, under the impression that the show was going to release last year. By placing it in December, they would have a dead man switch so that even if they forgot about it, the product would release the same year. Then layoffs started going through the summer and documentation was probably not great so things got lost in the shuffle, leaving two retailers to release it with no fanfare and much confusion.

Long story short, documentation is your friend.

Also, trying to make generic cirque du soliel music is usually not a great plan.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jan Sun 29, 2017 9:57 am

Interesting ~ and very plausible. Just sad to hear that they might not be taking the time to make the music really good. Maybe they blew their music budget on Frozen?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jan Sun 29, 2017 12:03 pm

The entire fix time was just to try and make the boats stop crashing into each other. Since they are not driven by anyone (they are autonomous watercraft) the goal was to have them do more precision movement than a human would be able to do. The issue was that while it worked in the lab without issue, in the actual lagoon it didn't work reliably.

NaCler

Post by NaCler » Jan Sun 29, 2017 3:21 pm

I also heard from one of the sneak peeks, that it had no buildup and no climactic parts that you find in every Disney show. So, it was more like just listening to background music and watching boats light up. I think they scrapped the whole thing and are trying to come up with something better.