All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: AVATAR coming to WDW

Post by horizons1 » Apr Thu 13, 2017 10:39 am

It's amazing to me how little enthusiasm there seems to be around this expansion. I agree with the general sentiment here and think Avatar was a mistake, or at least a mismatch, for DAK. A waste of Imagineering time and development dollars. Unless, as Wizz said, the next movie (when it ever comes out) ends up being a huge hit and Disney looks smart for having it ready.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Apr Thu 13, 2017 6:15 pm

horizons1 wrote:It's amazing to me how little enthusiasm there seems to be around this expansion. I agree with the general sentiment here and think Avatar was a mistake, or at least a mismatch, for DAK. A waste of Imagineering time and development dollars. Unless, as Wizz said, the next movie (when it ever comes out) ends up being a huge hit and Disney looks smart for having it ready.
That seems like a crapshoot. Who can predict what will be a hit? Did anyone predict Frozen would be the megablockbusterchildrenflippingout hit that it was?
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Thu 13, 2017 8:53 pm

The analysts did, but to say specific longevity possibly not. Before the song was done, it would have shat the bed hard.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Sun 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Speaking of, I am getting more and more of a feeling that the response to Pandora is going to be lukewarm. The hype train still isn't really moving and it opens in a month. Throw in they are offering resort discounts (granted, they could jack prices up 200% and knock things down "up to 25%" as the ads state). I would have expected more cross promo now rather than one full ad and a spot in another multi-park ad.

This is before it was even announced that the films are delayed again and will not be in theaters till 2019/20 at the earliest.

WVParkfan
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by WVParkfan » May Mon 15, 2017 8:55 am

horizons1 wrote:It's amazing to me how little enthusiasm there seems to be around this expansion.
I've questioned myself as to why I'm not more excited about a new "land" at WDW. I guess it's because I really didn't like the Avatar movie that much... definitely not enough to want to immerse myself into the storyline (by living it out in a theme park).
April, 1998 Coronado Springs
April, 2001 Coronado Springs
January, 2004 All-Star Sports
July, 2005 Caribbean Beach Resort
April, 2006 Pop Century
December, 2006 All-Star Sports
March, 2008 All-Star Movies
April, 2009 All-Star Music
August, 2010 Disney's Swan Resort
August, 2014 Off Property - Caribe Royale

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Mon 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Watch videos of the space, it isn't great. The design is well done but one ride is pretty good and the other is a "meh" at best.

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » May Tue 16, 2017 12:19 pm

10 days until it opens. I'm excited! :ccat:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 16, 2017 2:07 pm

momeja wrote:10 days until it opens. I'm excited! :ccat:
I've been seeing a lot from people going for the CM previews and everyone really seems to be enjoying it ~ I've never seen the movie, so before I go again, I would want to see that so it makes a bit more sense, but it is exciting to see Animal Kingdom get some attention as it seemed like it was neglected for a bit there.

Blackie Pueblo
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Blackie Pueblo » Sep Mon 04, 2017 2:29 am

So now that the area is open what are everyone's opinion on the area? Or is there another topic to post a reply. I'll have to check. I have experienced it and like most of you, I wasn't too excited about it. It seems out of place in AK to me as well. Also I agree with the thought that it's an overall bad idea to create an area that is based off this film. Especially with the sequels coming out so long after the original, even more so that the sequels keep getting pushed back and back.

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Sep Mon 04, 2017 12:29 pm

I will say one good effect of Avatar is that DAK is now open after dark in the off season. A quick spot check of park hours shows the park closing no earlier than 8pm in Oct, Nov and Dec. DAK is better at night.
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Mon 04, 2017 2:31 pm

horizons1 wrote:I will say one good effect of Avatar is that DAK is now open after dark in the off season. A quick spot check of park hours shows the park closing no earlier than 8pm in Oct, Nov and Dec. DAK is better at night.
I would have to agree ~ we were lucky enough to go to a few nights at AK and it is so pretty after dark. And so much cooler in terms of temperatures as well!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Fri 08, 2017 8:51 pm

The take is one meh-ride and one good-ish ride (oddly featuring the voice of the player character from Mass Effect: Andromeda as a background in the queue).

Don't use the first movie for a reference on these because apparently everything has basically been undone, including the main villain.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Sep Sat 09, 2017 6:58 am

Wizzard419 wrote:The take is one meh-ride and one good-ish ride (oddly featuring the voice of the player character from Mass Effect: Andromeda as a background in the queue).

Don't use the first movie for a reference on these because apparently everything has basically been undone, including the main villain.
That's sort of what I've been hearing as well. People LOVE Flight of Passage, and they say the Na'vi River is nice. Not having to know the movie is a bonus for those of us who have never seen it...and really have no overwhelming desire to either

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Sep Sat 09, 2017 1:45 pm

I think the problem, at least in this case, is that the rides and land directly call out to the film and explain why tensions between the species have been stressed, why things are the way they are, and what exactly is significant about the content in the two rides. It is one of the important parts of immersive story-telling. If the answer to "Why am I here and why should I care" is simply, "I don't know", then it breaks down.

Marty Moose
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by Marty Moose » Nov Wed 08, 2017 7:48 am

I really liked Avatarland. The attention to detail is outstanding and it is very immersive. One of the podcasts I listen to said that imagineering outperformed a very weak concept from the movie. I agree with that.

The river journey ride is done well - the screens, animation, projections and physical backgrounds blend well. And the audio animitronic at the end is impressive. Flight of the banshee is the next generation of soarin' and I felt just as excited for it as I did when I rode soarin' for the first time.

My biggest take away is that Disney can still create "magic" in the theme parks. This makes me really look forward to toystory land and star wars land.
"Park's closed. Moose out front should have told ya."