New Refillable Mug Policy- Thoughts?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

icpscientist
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Re: New Refillable Mug Policy- Thoughts?

Post by icpscientist » Jul Fri 15, 2011 7:14 pm

It's an interesting idea, but like most other things, as soon as a policy or rule is put in place, someone will try to think of a way to go around it. How long before someone figures out how to dupe the technology? It's like an arms race.

Appeals to people's decency won't really work - the message may reach millions but inevitably there's someone who will screw it up for everyone.

I would grant that there are people who believe Disney owes them something, and although I'm inclined to say they're wrong, there's a part of me that understands why people believe that.

It's an insane amount of money to go to the park to begin with - then you've got travel costs, hotel costs, parking costs (perhaps), overpriced food (not just a Disney thing - food costs at ANY resort are insane)... I can't totally fault ANYONE for wanting to get a free (stolen) refill on a soda.

Factor in that Disney isn't pricing any of these items at market value - they are including a premium because they can. Disney is not pricing anything to simply cover their costs and make a small profit. They make huge profits.

Creating this kind of program will, I think, simply add to the feeling that the patron is being nickel and dimed.

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Oh it's easy to spoof RFID's, but it would not be cheap, which would only work if you were cloning a couple dozen mugs at once.

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Sharonofwindham » Jul Fri 15, 2011 10:23 pm

I bought and used a refillable mug back in '96. Back then I believe I paid between $7-8 for it at
Carribean Beach Resort. It never crossed my mind to use it for more than one visit. I used it for breakfast, and in the evening++ every day of our visit, what a great deal. I'm sure I got more than my moneys worth, then a souvineer to boot. I would have been embarassed to bring it back year after year :oops: ! Some people are always looking out for just for themselves and end up screwing up a good thing for everyone. Every little bit stolen from Disney, up, UP, go the prices.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 15, 2011 10:43 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:The system is only there to provide soda to paying customers, so you could go all day and fill up your mug and just pour it out.
But there is a 5 minute or so delay after filling your mug before you can refill or choose something else. Not a big deal I know, but 5 minutes can mean catching a bus or having to wait another 20 minutes for the next one.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 15, 2011 10:50 pm

My guess is that they put that in place to prevent people from refilling the same mug over and over to split between family members with water cups. Would you really carry the mug with you though? The biggest problem with the refillable mug vs the throw-away single fills is that after you're done you still have this ugly piece of plastic to tote about.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 15, 2011 10:53 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:My guess is that they put that in place to prevent people from refilling the same mug over and over to split between family members with water cups. Would you really carry the mug with you though? The biggest problem with the refillable mug vs the throw-away single fills is that after you're done you still have this ugly piece of plastic to tote about.
Yeah, I'm sure the delay is specifically for that purpose. I did see some people carry their mug on the bus or in the parks. You couldn't use it for free refills but a lot of the adults were drinking coffee in the morning I'm guessing and didn't want to leave it behind. Plus you could use the mug for water if you wanted to. We never carried our mugs around, but we had water bottles instead.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Fri 15, 2011 11:17 pm

I never got that, the mugs are not water tight in the sense that they are designed to go on thrill rides. I'm almost surprised they don't just go for those coated steel bottles.

masterj345
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by masterj345 » Jul Fri 15, 2011 11:33 pm

i always try to do these things and save money when i go to dw. but i always end up spending way too much :D

annafab
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by annafab » Jul Sat 16, 2011 7:09 am

Wizzard419 wrote:I never got that, the mugs are not water tight in the sense that they are designed to go on thrill rides. I'm almost surprised they don't just go for those coated steel bottles.
I don't think when they started the refillable mug concept that they were thinking people would tote them around the parks. I personally like plastic refillable mugs. They're fun and a cheap souvenir that you can use at home.

And if you've ever accidentally been hit with one of those steel bottles, you'd know why they don't use those. They make decent weapons. lol
:nemo:

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Jul Sat 16, 2011 7:45 am

Will they be instituting this at Club Cool? :wink:

They have do something. Last time I was there, someone was at the Boardwalk Bakery with a cup so faded you couldn't make out that it was even a WDW cup. They wanted their free coffee. The woman behind counter said no, the customer put up a fight and the server relented and didn't charge for the coffee but told them not to expect to get the same freebie the next time they came in. (Which I think was the right way to handle it. No need for huge scene over a $3 cup of coffee and still let them know they weren't going to be able to use that mug again for free drink)

It'll be interesting to see how this works out.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sat 16, 2011 11:19 am

I have a feeling she just kept going to other locations after that.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Sat 16, 2011 12:08 pm

I don't think it's suppose to be free refills for lifetime. I thought it was only refills for that day the cup is purchased...

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Jul Sat 16, 2011 12:50 pm

I am guessing that their bosses encouraged them to get guests to buy them by any means necessary. Since there is nothing on the mug that says "free refills for life" they can always refuse.

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jul Sat 16, 2011 3:07 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I have a feeling she just kept going to other locations after that.
I have a friend, who when she heard about this, basically said to heck with Disney, she was going to keep taking the soda in her old mugs. Let's see how well that goes over.

According to my managers at the Fort there was never an official "lifetime" mug. Sometimes I wonder if this is an excuse on the guests' parts...