Daytime Lagoon Show at Epcot

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Esmeralda
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Daytime Lagoon Show at Epcot

Post by Esmeralda » May Tue 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Does anyone know why there is no longer a lagoon show at Epcot? I never saw Surprise in the Skies, but got the old "A Day at EPCOT Center" from the thrift store and it looked real nice.

We just returned from Tokyo Disneyland Resort and thought Epcot would benefit with added details like Disney Sea, starting with a lagoon show like the Legend of Mythica (but themed properly for the World Showcase of course)!
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/en/t ... index.html
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Daytime Lagoon Show at Epcot

Post by mindflipper » May Tue 24, 2011 1:05 pm

They abandoned daytime lagoon shows for nighttime lagoon shows...

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 24, 2011 1:14 pm

I'm guessing there wasn't that much interest in the US for daytime lagoon shows as well.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Tue 24, 2011 1:24 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:I'm guessing there wasn't that much interest in the US for daytime lagoon shows as well.
...or perhaps in the budget to have both a daytime and nighttime lagoon show. :?:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » May Tue 24, 2011 1:36 pm

yeah I think the cost vs entertainment value was not enough to keep a daytime lagoon show

Epcot is just a different beast I think...as I don't believe they have any true daytime entertainment...right? I know you have the Jammitors (assuming they are still there) but that wasn't anything like the parades you have at the other parks. Guests in Epcot want optimism (Future World) and culture (World Showcase).

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 24, 2011 2:08 pm

mindflipper wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:I'm guessing there wasn't that much interest in the US for daytime lagoon shows as well.
...or perhaps in the budget to have both a daytime and nighttime lagoon show. :?:
They may have had the budget but the ROI was too low to merit the expense.

They do have daytime entertainment in many of the worldshowcase pavillions, and I think they still do the parade.

yodiwan1
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate
Storybookland Canal Boats Mate

Post by yodiwan1 » May Tue 24, 2011 2:14 pm

Wizzard419 wrote: They may have had the budget but the ROI was too low to merit the expense.

They do have daytime entertainment in many of the worldshowcase pavillions, and I think they still do the parade.

Nope, no parade at Epcot, not for a few years at least...but I do miss it!!!
"hold on to them hats and glasses, cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!!"

jacobcary1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by jacobcary1 » May Tue 24, 2011 2:19 pm

The lagoon there appears to be much smaller and possibly more suited for this type of thing. I am not sure the way US is set up you would be able to see very well due to the distance factor.

Esmeralda

Post by Esmeralda » May Sat 28, 2011 10:40 am

I suppose this is sacrilege, but I'd rather see a fabulous day time parade than the current Illuminations.

Other than cost, I do think it could work and be popular. The lagoon at Epcot seems at least as large as the one at Disney Sea, and a parade could circle around so everyone could see. It would be better than the Tapestry of Nations because it wouldn't block the walkway. Not to mention that I'd love to see any parade with so much detail and pageantry anywhere in the US!
Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sat 28, 2011 11:04 am

Actually, Tapestry of Nations was not a parade, but parades. There were two identical parades, and each would cover half of World Showcase simlultaneously. I remember being watching it at the point where the parade came out from the back, only to be able to watch the other parade exit through the same way the first one entered. It made sense, because if there was only one parade and it had to encircle the entire World Showcase than it would take too long for the parade to finish.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sat 28, 2011 11:04 am

mindflipper wrote:Actually, Tapestry of Nations was not a parade, but parades. There were two identical parades, and each would cover half of World Showcase simlultaneously. I remember being watching it at the point where the parade came out from the back, only to be able to watch the other parade exit through the same way the first one entered. It made sense, because if there was only one parade and it had to encircle the entire World Showcase than it would take too long for the parade to finish.
I remember that. We would watch from the middle too :D

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Sat 28, 2011 11:09 am

It was like getting two parades with one sitting!

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Sat 28, 2011 12:50 pm

Esmeralda wrote:I suppose this is sacrilege, but I'd rather see a fabulous day time parade than the current Illuminations.

Other than cost, I do think it could work and be popular. The lagoon at Epcot seems at least as large as the one at Disney Sea, and a parade could circle around so everyone could see. It would be better than the Tapestry of Nations because it wouldn't block the walkway. Not to mention that I'd love to see any parade with so much detail and pageantry anywhere in the US!

Actually it's larger, but it may not be as deep, at 15 feet max, as the performance area of the lagoon (you can see on google maps the waterway path). I wonder if one of the reasons they don't do shows on the water (other than illuminations style ones) is because it's such a large performance area the only thing that works are water/fireworks shows?

rphillips14
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by rphillips14 » May Sun 29, 2011 6:23 am

To me, this brings up a larger question: Shouldn't every ride/show or whatever that's available in other Disney Parks be available at DisneyWORLD. thus the term WORLD!! For instance...at DisneyParis, don't they have a great Indiana Jone ride that would fit perfectly in that Indiana Jones corner at HS. Also, the submarines at Disneyland would fit perfect at Epcot around the living seas. I just think Disneyworld is the hub and all the other parks are spokes.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Sun 29, 2011 6:35 am

rphillips14 wrote:To me, this brings up a larger question: Shouldn't every ride/show or whatever that's available in other Disney Parks be available at DisneyWORLD. thus the term WORLD!! For instance...at DisneyParis, don't they have a great Indiana Jone ride that would fit perfectly in that Indiana Jones corner at HS. Also, the submarines at Disneyland would fit perfect at Epcot around the living seas. I just think Disneyworld is the hub and all the other parks are spokes.
WDW can't possibly have every attraction from every park around the world. There isn't that much space. And if WDW did have every single attraction, what would people's incentive be to go and visit the other parks? While I would love to see the Indiana Jones attraction from DL plunked down where the Indy Stage show is in WDW, I doubt it will ever happen. It would cost a whole lot of Disney dollars and as others have pointed out in other forums, that Indiana Jones stunt show swallows thousands of guests for each show.
I kind of like the fact that each of the parks are different. It gives me a reason to dream about going to the different parks :D