Great Movie Ride - Western or Gangster?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Satchel T
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Great Movie Ride - Western or Gangster?

Post by Satchel T » May Wed 18, 2011 2:28 pm

Curious as to what you guys and gals prefer. I prefer the western sequence but never get it when I'm there, that's why I enjoy hearing it here. What do you think?

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Great Movie Ride - Western or Gangster?

Post by theBIGyowski » May Wed 18, 2011 2:38 pm

you'll probably get more people reading and responding if this gets moved to the WDW board instead of the General one

I have never seen the Western hijacker either...but maybe I will on my next trip.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Wed 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Moving this to Walt Disney World where I believe it belongs.

I am honestly indifferent with the two shows. I try to ride it twice so I can experience each version on every vacation.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » May Wed 18, 2011 4:35 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:I have never seen the Western hijacker either...but maybe I will on my next trip.
Remember, you can ask if they are running the Bandit/Western. If they are, don't hesitate to say you will wait!

As for which one, Gangster! The Gangster (Mugsy) is Evil, whereas the Bandit is just stupid. Seriously, that is what you are told when training for the Gangster and Bandit (separate training days).
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » May Wed 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Gangster!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Wed 18, 2011 7:16 pm

MadEye wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:I have never seen the Western hijacker either...but maybe I will on my next trip.
Remember, you can ask if they are running the Bandit/Western. If they are, don't hesitate to say you will wait!
As for which one, Gangster! The Gangster (Mugsy) is Evil, whereas the Bandit is just stupid. Seriously, that is what you are told when training for the Gangster and Bandit (separate training days).
Do they primarily run the Gangster scene and only add in the Western scene when it is busier or they have more CM's working? It seems like we have mostly seen the Gangster scene although we have seen the Western scene a few times...not on this past trip though.

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » May Wed 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Amy wrote:Do they primarily run the Gangster scene and only add in the Western scene when it is busier or they have more CM's working? It seems like we have mostly seen the Gangster scene although we have seen the Western scene a few times...not on this past trip though.
Correct. There are five vehicles (known as sets) on at any time. Depending on how many Bandits are scheduled and how busy the park is are the main factors as to how many vehicles will be for the Bandit/Western scene. If it isn't busy (late August after school is back in and mid-January to mid-March) they might not even have a Bandit. Sometimes on slow days they will have at least one Bandit but don't bet on it (scheduling is starting to suck all around WDW!).

Like I said, it doesn't hurt to ask. If they are running a Bandit/Western vehicle, wait if you have to. If not, then you'll just have an even longer wait. :P :wink:
― Dr. Seuss

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Wed 18, 2011 11:09 pm

Why am I not surprised that MadEye picked the Gangster? :shock: :wink: :roll: :lol:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Wed 18, 2011 11:44 pm

mindflipper wrote:Why am I not surprised that MadEye picked the Gangster? :shock: :wink: :roll: :lol:
A few of us do know why ;)

I didn't know that they only ran 5 at a time. I honestly thought it was 6 at a time (2 loadings) 3 times per cycle. I guess you live and learn. I assume they have more than 5 ride vehicles though I never realized where the extras get stored.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Thu 19, 2011 7:30 am

Len90 wrote:
mindflipper wrote:Why am I not surprised that MadEye picked the Gangster? :shock: :wink: :roll: :lol:

I didn't know that they only ran 5 at a time. I honestly thought it was 6 at a time (2 loadings) 3 times per cycle. I guess you live and learn. I assume they have more than 5 ride vehicles though I never realized where the extras get stored.
That is a good question...MadEye, where do the extra vehicles get stored?

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » May Thu 19, 2011 7:43 am

Amy wrote:
Len90 wrote:

That is a good question...MadEye, where do the extra vehicles get stored?
They have 12 total vehicles with at least 5 on the track. When it gets slower, they can take a vehicle off (closer to the end of park hours). As long as the CM(s) on dock (loading area) remember to press a button after a certain amount of time that starts the "Hooray for Hollywood" audio, you (as a guest) wouldn't even realize there wasn't a vehicle at load.

As for where the vehicles are stored, one is usually always stored on the left side of Finale (if there isn't one there when you are in there, then they are using it for the Bandit/Western scene. As for where they store the rest, When in Fantasia, look to the right before you enter Wizard of Oz. There is a black curtain with a warehouse "garage door" behind it where they bring the vehicles not in use to "storage" or maintenance. The other warehouse "garage door" to the left of the Finale exit doors. Storage (or maintenance if you like) is the entire length of the show building for GMR so they have a lot of room.
― Dr. Seuss

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » May Thu 19, 2011 7:45 am

Because it is one of the few roles in WDW that you don't have to "smile" for the guests. If I was smiling as a Gangster, it wasn't to keep up the happy appearance of a CM. It was because I was in a great mood and no stupid guest could do anything about it!
― Dr. Seuss

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Thu 19, 2011 8:00 am

MadEye wrote:
Amy wrote:That is a good question...MadEye, where do the extra vehicles get stored?
They have 12 total vehicles with at least 5 on the track. When it gets slower, they can take a vehicle off (closer to the end of park hours). As long as the CM(s) on dock (loading area) remember to press a button after a certain amount of time that starts the "Hooray for Hollywood" audio, you (as a guest) wouldn't even realize there wasn't a vehicle at load.
As for where the vehicles are stored, one is usually always stored on the left side of Finale (if there isn't one there when you are in there, then they are using it for the Bandit/Western scene. As for where they store the rest, When in Fantasia, look to the right before you enter Wizard of Oz. There is a black curtain with a warehouse "garage door" behind it where they bring the vehicles not in use to "storage" or maintenance. The other warehouse "garage door" to the left of the Finale exit doors. Storage (or maintenance if you like) is the entire length of the show building for GMR so they have a lot of room.
That's interesting. One more question, when you say 5 vehicles, is that 5 total cars that people can sit inside, or 5 groups of cars?

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » May Thu 19, 2011 8:30 am

I like the Western one... they burn a building and have a shoot-out. It's lots of fun!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » May Thu 19, 2011 8:45 am

MadEye wrote:
Because it is one of the few roles in WDW that you don't have to "smile" for the guests. If I was smiling as a Gangster, it wasn't to keep up the happy appearance of a CM. It was because I was in a great mood and no stupid guest could do anything about it!
That's not quite the cheerful attitude I would expect from a Disney CM (even an ex-)... :wink: