Disney Dinning Plan Your Thoughts?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Torylovesdisney
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Re: Disney Dinning Plan Your Thoughts?

Post by Torylovesdisney » Jun Tue 07, 2011 11:39 am

On the few trips that I've went on without the dining plan I wasn't happy. We do not have little kids (ours are 27 and 28) so dining is an important feature in our trip. I hate looking at prices on a menu. It may sound silly but I'd rather pay for everything up front and not have to think about how much I'm spending. I will admit that I feel the plan made much more sense when the tip was included as now I do have to worry about carrying some cash with me. I also find it a hassle for the server to explain that the tip is not included, feels very awkward.
[color=red][b]Only [i]Disney People[/i] understand [i]Disney People[/i]![/b][/color]

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 07, 2011 11:41 am

Torylovesdisney wrote:On the few trips that I've went on without the dining plan I wasn't happy. We do not have little kids (ours are 27 and 28) so dining is an important feature in our trip. I hate looking at prices on a menu. It may sound silly but I'd rather pay for everything up front and not have to think about how much I'm spending. I will admit that I feel the plan made much more sense when the tip was included as now I do have to worry about carrying some cash with me. I also find it a hassle for the server to explain that the tip is not included, feels very awkward.
That is odd that they don't include the tips in the price of the plan. I would think some people would be caught unaware and have no cash in their pocket to pay a tip since they are thinking everything is all paid for.

disneylizzy
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by disneylizzy » Jun Tue 07, 2011 7:39 pm

Amy wrote:
Torylovesdisney wrote:On the few trips that I've went on without the dining plan I wasn't happy. We do not have little kids (ours are 27 and 28) so dining is an important feature in our trip. I hate looking at prices on a menu. It may sound silly but I'd rather pay for everything up front and not have to think about how much I'm spending. I will admit that I feel the plan made much more sense when the tip was included as now I do have to worry about carrying some cash with me. I also find it a hassle for the server to explain that the tip is not included, feels very awkward.
That is odd that they don't include the tips in the price of the plan. I would think some people would be caught unaware and have no cash in their pocket to pay a tip since they are thinking everything is all paid for.
I'll bet that happens a lot.

What about the fact that Disney "suggests" tips on the bill? I hate that!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Tue 07, 2011 8:21 pm

disneylizzy wrote:What about the fact that Disney "suggests" tips on the bill? I hate that!
I'm not fond of the suggested tips either, but I know a lot of people that really like that. They hate having to figure out 12, 15, 18% so they are happy to have that on the receipt. I like doing math in my head, plus I want to tip based on the actual service, so I don't really pay much attention to that if it is on the receipt.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jun Wed 08, 2011 12:04 am

Maybe I'm a bit generous but I always feel a tip should be around 18%, 20% if you offer above average service. These workers live off of their tips and not the hourly wage they get. It really is a shame that Disney does not have the tip included or warn you out right since it really hurts the server and also puts them in that awkward spot to tell the guest that the tip is not included. In all truthfulness I think the tip breakdown on the receipt is a good idea but it should not be 12/15/18. It really should be 15/18/20.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 08, 2011 6:57 am

Len90 wrote:Maybe I'm a bit generous but I always feel a tip should be around 18%, 20% if you offer above average service. These workers live off of their tips and not the hourly wage they get. It really is a shame that Disney does not have the tip included or warn you out right since it really hurts the server and also puts them in that awkward spot to tell the guest that the tip is not included. In all truthfulness I think the tip breakdown on the receipt is a good idea but it should not be 12/15/18. It really should be 15/18/20.
The receipt might very well be 15/18/20 Len, I was just pulling numbers out of the air. I agree and normally tip 20% or more for good service, but on the other hand, I feel pressured to tip a decent amount even when the service is poor because as you say, the servers live on their tips.

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by cousininmiami » Jun Wed 08, 2011 8:36 am

We always tip 20% if not more. These folks do live off of their tips and not the small hourly wage they receive. In actuality, most don't receive a paycheck at all, most of the $3.25 per hour wage is eaten up in taxes the government takes out of their paycheck. The gov't knows how much to take out based on their sales, and their sales are calculated mostly on their credit card sales and tips. Then they ususally have to "tip-out" a certain percentage of their tips to the bussers, the hostesses and sometimes the food runner. So when someone only gives them a 10% tip for example, it is probably costing them money to wait on the table. I was a restaurant manager for 18 years before I got out of that awful business! My husband manages a large restaurant for a major chain, so I guess we are sensitive to the plight of the servers!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Wed 08, 2011 8:53 am

If I have good service I will figure 15% and then add extra to round the total amount up to a whole dollar. If I have excellent service I will calculate 20% and then round up to the whole dollar.

I bused tables as my first real job and I know how much the waiters and waitresses depend on those tips. It was always a special treat to have the really good ones, who made a lot of money in tips, tip us out at the end of the day and I would get an extra $10-$20.

I will say...aside from Coral Reef...where they were really just understaffed IMO...we have always gotten great service at the TS restaurants. The best was probably Boma...we had the coolest CM waitress ever who knew more about Africa and the Lion King than anyone I have ever known. DW and I almost made ADRs for Boma just for the chance to get her again. But we wanted to mix it up and try different places...although we know we will go back to Boma someday...especially with kids.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Jun Wed 08, 2011 11:29 am

I loved Boma too! Awesome place! Is there poor service in Coral Reef? I haven't been there in years... but we have an ADR in July, I am really looking forward to dinner there! Have fun on your trip BIGyowski!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jun Wed 08, 2011 11:34 am

cousininmiami wrote:I loved Boma too! Awesome place! Is there poor service in Coral Reef? I haven't been there in years... but we have an ADR in July, I am really looking forward to dinner there! Have fun on your trip BIGyowski!
You'll have to let me know how you like the Coral Reef. I've heard mixed reviews. The trip before last, I had finally talked F1gment into eating there, but once we walked in, the smell of seafood was too overpowering for us to stay :( She is allergic to seafood...

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jun Wed 08, 2011 11:43 am

Our favorite Disney dinning is.....the few trips we make to Cracker Barrel while at WDW!!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Wed 08, 2011 11:48 am

Amy wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:I loved Boma too! Awesome place! Is there poor service in Coral Reef? I haven't been there in years... but we have an ADR in July, I am really looking forward to dinner there! Have fun on your trip BIGyowski!
You'll have to let me know how you like the Coral Reef. I've heard mixed reviews. The trip before last, I had finally talked F1gment into eating there, but once we walked in, the smell of seafood was too overpowering for us to stay :( She is allergic to seafood...
Me too. I like the idea of Coral Reef, but I know we most likely will never go because we will never fully enjoy it. :( I've heard so many great things about Boma though! I'd like to try it sometime, but I'm concerned because I've got a really picky eater on my hands...how diverse is the menu there?

I like the idea of the dining plan because I don't want to have to worry about budgeting out the $$$ eveytime we want to eat. But I would definitely look into the value of it. Obviously if the dining plan is free, then great! But if not, I would want to see which would be a better deal.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » Jun Wed 08, 2011 12:04 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
Amy wrote:
Me too. I like the idea of Coral Reef, but I know we most likely will never go because we will never fully enjoy it. :( I've heard so many great things about Boma though! I'd like to try it sometime, but I'm concerned because I've got a really picky eater on my hands...how diverse is the menu there?

I like the idea of the dining plan because I don't want to have to worry about budgeting out the $$$ eveytime we want to eat. But I would definitely look into the value of it. Obviously if the dining plan is free, then great! But if not, I would want to see which would be a better deal.
Boma is great because it is a big buffet...so you can choose anything you want to eat. Though most of the food is African in origin...it is similar to things we eat here. There may be a few things that are unique...but nothing crazy. It can get a bit loud because it is more kid and family friendly...but the atmosphere and theme is hard to beat...because it is at AKL. The fact that they can accommodate large families or groups is a huge plus IMO.

The service for us at Coral Reef was poor because there were just so many people there and I think not enough CMs to cover the tables. Refills on our drinks were rare and it took a while to get our food. We had a great table right by the tank, and the food was really good, but the service was poor enough to keep us from going back anytime soon. It's ok though because I have eaten there 3-4 times and there is better seafood elsewhere at WDW in places I do want to eventually try.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

Soarin08
Skyway Loader
Skyway Loader

Post by Soarin08 » Jun Wed 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Len90 wrote:Maybe I'm a bit generous but I always feel a tip should be around 18%, 20% if you offer above average service. These workers live off of their tips and not the hourly wage they get. It really is a shame that Disney does not have the tip included or warn you out right since it really hurts the server and also puts them in that awkward spot to tell the guest that the tip is not included. In all truthfulness I think the tip breakdown on the receipt is a good idea but it should not be 12/15/18. It really should be 15/18/20.
I used to be a waitress myself so I agree with you fully, Len. It's a bit of a shame but my mother has to FORCE my father to tip, no matter if we're at Disney or anywhere else. Our servers at WDW have always been a cut above the rest so they get quite the tip from us (after my mother does some prodding). I usually leave a minimum of 18% myself, even higher if the service is absolutely impeccable.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Jun Wed 08, 2011 5:14 pm

I usually attempt to leave 20%. A bit more if fabulous, a bit less if not as great...but usually not less than 15%. If service is even worse, then maybe 10%...but it takes a lot to upset me that much.