Wait Times Apps

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

TongaToast
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Wait Times Apps

Post by TongaToast » Apr Wed 13, 2011 10:52 am

Ive noticed that there are several apps about Disney on the market, and Disney offers a Mobile Magic app as well for Verizon customers. I don't have a smart phone, and have an iTouch that wouldn't be able to use apps like this in the parks. I noticed that Mobile Magic has a texting service that allows you to get information by texting, but you can only do this four times a day. :( is there a site, or service that will allow me to text for in the park info more then once?

Thanks for the help.
:hm_ghost: :hatter_bounce: :figment:

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: Wait Times Apps

Post by theBIGyowski » Apr Wed 13, 2011 11:19 am

I don't know of anything like this.

However, I do have the Lines app from TouringPlans.com and I love it. It only really works with my smart phone but I believe I could download touring plans onto an iTouch or print them off to take with me.

Another application I have used on past trips is RideMaxx. It is similar to a touring plan but it has specific times down to the minute for the plan. So you would be getting estimates for wait times...and I believe this is how Lines works as well...in combination with live data from folks in the parks.

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

TongaToast
Omnibus Driver
Omnibus Driver

Post by TongaToast » Apr Wed 13, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks, Ive seen Lines before, and love it. But since i have no access to the internet in the park,it would be amazing to know wait times in the park, without going to a central spot in the park, to save time. And the Mobile Magics limit of 4 times a day is really disappointing. Are there any Twitter users that do wait times?

Thanks For The Help.
:hm_ghost: :hatter_bounce: :figment:

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Apr Wed 13, 2011 12:28 pm

There are free apps for the iphone/ipod touch for wait times, but unless you can bring about a wifi hotspot you will probably not have any luck.

Polynesian Princess
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Post by Polynesian Princess » Apr Wed 13, 2011 10:31 pm

I don't know of any ride time texting services. There's probably not anyone on Twitter either. Though someone might update it with ride times, you'd be at the mercy of if they went to WDW at all that day. Even if they went, they're only one person and couldn't give a full update for ride times - you'd be affected by which park and what area they were in.

I think this is an excuse to upgrade to a smart phone. ;) If that's not an option, I would say use the 4 daily texts wisely. If you're right by an attraction, walk over and see for yourself. If you're wondering about a further away attraction, walk over there and if the line is too long, do something else in that area that you want to do. Try to use the texts to save you trips across the park or a park hop where the waits are too long for you. Another option is having a friend or family member who wouldn't mind looking them up for you whenever you text them.
Can't wait to take my twin boys on their first trip to Walt Disney World! Planning on heading there sometime Feb-May 2014!

Brian845
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Brian845 » May Tue 17, 2011 9:24 am

Does anyone know if Touringplans.com changed their subscriptions recently? It looks like they do a 1 year subscription for $10.95 now, but I thought they had a 45 day one as well.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » May Tue 17, 2011 9:28 am

http://touringplans.com/faq/subscriptions

Looks like you can get a full refund up to 45 days after the purchase...but you have to purchase through the website and not the Apple Store or Android Market...as those places cannot refund you.

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » May Tue 17, 2011 9:32 am

Yeah, I was checking it out today, in advance of buying a subscription. I *swear* they had a shorter subscription available, which is why I was waiting 'til now to buy it, but It think they may have just lowered their price on the year long one and removed the short subscription. Or maybe I just hallucinated that?

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » May Tue 17, 2011 12:19 pm

If you're only looking for wait times and using a smart phone I suggest using one of the free apps since it's all just data. If you're going during a busy time it will be updated more often (since it's user driven) and if it's a slow time then you won't care about wait times. :D

Brian845

Post by Brian845 » May Tue 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Nope, I like the advanced planning aspect, so I bought a subscription. I was going to anyway, but I had planned to wait until this magical 45 day window (or maybe it was 3 months) for a subscription that no longer seems to be an option, if there ever was one. Don't tell my wife about the subscription, she hates it when I over plan these things:). I'm not even going to show her my plans.

theBIGyowski

Post by theBIGyowski » May Tue 17, 2011 3:15 pm

You can always be like me and check the wait times whenever you are bored during the day...and tell yourself that if you were at WDW right now you would only wait 15 minutes for HM. Daydream trips are the next best thing. ;)

secondstar
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster
Peter Pan's Flight Pixie Duster

Post by secondstar » May Tue 17, 2011 4:06 pm

Tongatoast, I don't know if this helps, but I have an iPhone and I have the free Undercover Tourist app provided by Phunware. It is Marvelous. In addition to wait times, it has parade times, show times, complete menus for many restaurants. It has a crowd predictor, although I don't know how accurate that really is. Our upcoming trip will be the first time using it, so I can't be certain to its accuracy. But from what I've seen, it appears to be a pretty decent app. I hope you can use it.
[i]"Herbie, I just want it to look like nothing else in the world. And it should be surrounded by a train"[/i]

-- Walt Disney

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » May Tue 17, 2011 6:56 pm

theBIGyowski wrote:You can always be like me and check the wait times whenever you are bored during the day...and tell yourself that if you were at WDW right now you would only wait 15 minutes for HM. Daydream trips are the next best thing. ;)
I do this all the time!!!! I'm curious how accurate they are though.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » May Tue 17, 2011 7:41 pm

MmeLeota wrote:
theBIGyowski wrote:You can always be like me and check the wait times whenever you are bored during the day...and tell yourself that if you were at WDW right now you would only wait 15 minutes for HM. Daydream trips are the next best thing. ;)
I do this all the time!!!! I'm curious how accurate they are though.
I've done this before too. It usually ends up making me sad though...sigh...

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » May Tue 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Been there and done that. I do find that mist of the wait times apps are reliant on input from people whichmakes them relatively inefficient since you never know if those people are actually in the parks or even being truthful about the wait times.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"