Old School WDW or New School WDW?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

lonepalm
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Old School WDW or New School WDW?

Post by lonepalm » Oct Tue 19, 2010 9:39 am

I'm sure this has probably been asked in some way or another, but I figured I would get this conversation going here because I am extremely interested in everyone's opinions on this topic. I find myself thinking all the time about how the "old school" WDW was a lot different than it is today.Let me start off by qualifying my personal definition of "old school" WDW. My "old school" WDW is based off of the early - mid 90s...when I was lucky enough to go there as a child for a few years in a row. Now of course I don't remember a whole lot, but based on my recent research of the past WDW, old park maps, listening to old ride audio, looking at old photos, memories, etc, I feel I have a good representation of what WDW was, to me at least, for the time period I am talking about.

So, my recollection of the "old school" WDW was that of a Magic Kingdom that was basically (with a few exceptions) unchanged from what it is today. The premise and look and feel of the park is still the same as a whole. Honestly, I preferred the "old school" Tomorrowland as opposed to the new one, but I have never really been extremely attached to anything at Magic Kingdom. So for Magic Kingdom, I don't mind where it is today. To me, not much is different there.

Epcot and Hollywood Studios are my two main "concerns". I'll start with Epcot first. Epcot was, and always will be, the park closest to my heart. I have always been more of a scientific thinker. I always loved Epcot, even as a child. I much prefer the "old school" version of Epcot; The Living Seas, World of Motion, Wonders of Life Pavilion, the old version of Living with the Land (with the person narrating in the boat)...I could go on and on. Don't get me wrong...I like Test Track and I love Soarin', but Epcot of the past was more of a learning center than it was Disney based. I understand Disney for wanting to brand more rides and stuff to their movie franchises, and I'm sure most kids, and probably adults, enjoy that more, but this fan prefers the old "generic" style of rides, with more of the educational message and feel. Also, I don't feel Epcot is what it set out to be anymore. It was supposed to be a futuristic park with futuristic technology showcased...among other things. I remember walking in to CommuniCore and seeing hundreds of Sega Genesis game systems with Sonic on them. This was when Sega Genesis was brand new or not even out yet. I just feel that Epcot has lost it's futuristic appeal. I would love to see this park reverted back to it's old style...although I know that is impossible.

Now on to Hollywood Studios. This park was never really a huge draw for me, but it is not because of the concept. I love the concept and I love the way the park used to be in the past; however, I never felt this park was complete (even as a child). Something was just "off" about it. The backlot tour back in the 90s was awesome. Driving through an actual backlot with the house facades and the props of vehicles used in movies was really cool and interesting to me. Now, it is a waste of time. I am not a big thrill ride type person, so the Rock'n Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror don't do much for me, but Star Tours, the Great Movie Ride and Muppet Vision 3D / Indiana Jones were always a good time for me. Now, I really only visit this park for the nostalgia and because I am the type that has to visit all 4 parks each visit. This park is a shell of it's former self...and to me, it's former self was a shell of what it could have been...this park needs a ton of TLC...perhaps they are beginning that with the Pixar Place rumors that keep coming up and the redoing of Star Tours. I hope that is not the end of the changes for this park.

And finally, Animal Kingdom. I enjoy this park, but I really only spend half of a day there. For me, I do Kilimanjaro Safari and DINOSAUR and I am done. I still have yet to see the stage shows, which I have been wanting to see for a while, but it just never fits in the schedule. I can't really say that there is an "old school" Animal Kingdom because it is still considered a new park...to me at least. Also, the last time I was there as a kid, they just announced the park and they started clearing the land, so my first experience of Animal Kingdom was when I was grown (about 4-5 years ago was my first visit), so not too much has changed for me since then.

I am very interested in hearing everyone's opinions on this topic. I know not everyone will agree with everything everyone says, so please stay respectful if you want to "argue" a point someone makes...and I know people are pretty good around here for respecting people's opinions. Let's hear them! Thanks! :mickey:

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Re: Old School WDW or New School WDW?

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 19, 2010 9:54 am

"old-school" is the mid-90's?!? What does that make the 70's - 80's - "ancient history school"? "Retro"?

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Oct Tue 19, 2010 10:13 am

My first trip to the World was in '06, so I can't give much perspective on "old school", but I can say that from what I've heard, I wish some of the old stuff would come back.
Your perspective on DHS is interesting. You should get together with Quickgold and talk about that. He even has his own site dedicated to it. Not sure if I should give the name here, though (looking over shoulder for mods....). :lol:
Just wait til Future Guy gets wind of this thread... I'm sure he'll have some things to say!! :lol:

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Tue 19, 2010 10:19 am

To me, old school Disney is in the 80's, that's when I was a child and my parent's started taking me, and that's when my love for the Mouse began, long ago! :wink: For me, old school is the way Tomorrowland originally was, it looked like what they thought the future was going to be, whereas now, it looks cartoonish and it's filled with Pixar attractions, which don't get me wrong, I enjoy them. But, I feel they've lost site of what Tomorrowland is really about! I love CoP so much b/c it's an original, a classic, and you can really get a feel of what Walt was all about and his visions for the future. I also loved 20,000 Leagues, to me, that was old school as well. I miss EPCOT Center and alot of the original attractions in FW. I don't think all of the changes have been for the better there.

I do love DHS (to me it will always be MGM though) I just love that bygone era of the Hollywood that never really was. I love the attractions there, it's a fun park overall. AK, to me is not a must on every trip. I do think alot of thought went into this park and it's very detailed, but it's still a zoo. It's a 1/2 day park for us if we even visit. These parks are not part of my childhood memories but they are new additions that DH and I love and embrace.

So, to answer the question....for me, I love the old school Disney. But, I still love Disney now and always will. They would have to close the gates in order for me to stop going and to stop loving it. I still love Walt's ideas and the history behind everything! The theming at the parks and the resorts, I love it all! It is my Happy Place!

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Oct Tue 19, 2010 10:28 am

boilerbabe wrote:
So, to answer the question....for me, I love the old school Disney. But, I still love Disney now and always will. They would have to close the gates in order for me to stop going and to stop loving it. I still love Walt's ideas and the history behind everything! The theming at the parks and the resorts, I love it all! It is my Happy Place!
Very well said! I'll drink to that... cheers! (kona coffee cups clinking...)

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Oct Tue 19, 2010 10:36 am

mindflipper wrote:"old-school" is the mid-90's?!? What does that make the 70's - 80's - "ancient history school"? "Retro"?
HAHA! No, that's why I said TO ME. That time frame is what I consider "old school". Everyone is free to make their own timeframe for "old school" in order to reference and compare!

boilberbabe- completely agree with your last paragraph. They'll have to drag me out kicking and screaming to get me to stop going there!

Proud bandwidth donor to Subsonic Radio!

Check out disneyparksinfo.com and wdwthemeparks.com!

BuDz211
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by BuDz211 » Oct Tue 19, 2010 10:39 pm

mindflipper wrote:"old-school" is the mid-90's?!? What does that make the 70's - 80's - "ancient history school"? "Retro"?
LOL! I think the word you're looking for is Prehistoric.

I know I'm old-school Epcot Center. World of Motion, Horizons, The Living Seas, etc. I love those pavilions. The only thing I miss from MGM is the long Back-lot tour. I like all the new updates. There are some rides I miss from MK such as If You Had Wings, Skyride, old Tiki Room, and the like, but all the new stuff is great as well. I guess I would be Old School Epcot but everything else is pretty sweet. And I never been to Animal Kingdom so that's a non-factor.
Image Image

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Tue 19, 2010 11:03 pm

Old school to me is the MK of the 70's. When you went to WDW you went to the MK. That's when it had a lot of World Showcase and Futurworld in it. It also had some of MGM. I think of how the feel then was so different from what it is now. It was so brand new and Disney! I don't mean Corporate Disney, I mean Disney like you went and saw in the movies and on TV. The rides were the thing all by themselves. They didn't need a movie to go with or they weren't there because there was a movie, show, or some other kind of Disney property that they were promoting with it.

They stood all by themselves for their own sake. It was a totally different place. I mean you never saw somebody painting or building. That stuff happened like magic over night. Now it's just a business and Eisner, the Disney board, the CPAs, the MBAs, and all those non-creative corporates rats have killed parts of it. It makes me sad to see where it is now!

Don't get me wrong, as most of you know, I LOVE DISNEY!! That's why I fight so hard when I see something going wrong! I know WED meant it to change and grow. I understand the parks are living things! I just feel some of the magic has died and that's so sad!! :cry:
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Tue 19, 2010 11:21 pm

To me, the "old-school" will be the 70's - 80's when the park(s) were new, innovative, and the had the promise to greatness to come. "New School" would be the 90's - 2000's, when poorly devised renovations, budget cuts, and an appalling "cheapness" (does anyone remember Dreamflights?) turned the promise of greatness to come into the disappointment of what has been done. I'm hoping the Fantasyland Expansion will turn things around for the 2010's.

MmeLeota
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by MmeLeota » Oct Wed 20, 2010 12:50 am

To me, "old school" is the early '90s. I was about 13 when I went to Epcot and MGM for the first time. (My first trip to MK wasn't until my honeymoon)

I really miss the "old" Epcot! Horizons, JII, WoM, SSE, Living Seas, The Land, UoE, WoL...all of it. I also liked when MGM was at least partially a working studio. Considering that I've always been intrested in all of that stuff (yeah, I was one of those drama gals), I truly enjoyed MGM Studios. Nowadays it's sad. (well at least as of 7 years ago when we went on our last trip)

But I'm hoping that someday Disney will get their head on straight and remember what Epcot was all about!!!

MouseMan
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by MouseMan » Oct Thu 21, 2010 10:29 am

Old school to me would be back in the 70's also, and there was nothing like the MK. Everything then at WDW was different and special compaired to the world outside the park. Same for EP in the 80's. But as technology got cheeper and more available to the "common man" it became harder to WOW people. So by 2000 there isn't anything futuristic about tomorrowland or EP. But I still enjoy them because even with al the changes and the addition of HS and AK the mission of being a place the whole family can have fun together is still strong. So I will enjoy the parks the next time I go just as much as the first time even though I will miss the timekeeper and world of motion.

lonepalm

Post by lonepalm » Oct Fri 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Very interesting opinions. I wonder if nostalgia plays a part in our preferences or just because we truly feel it was "better" back then?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 22, 2010 3:12 pm

lonepalm wrote:Very interesting opinions. I wonder if nostalgia plays a part in our preferences or just because we truly feel it was "better" back then?
I'm guessing nostalgia plays a big part. I look at videos of World of Motion, which I remember fondly, but am surprised at how many 2D and video screens there were in the attraction! That being said, I still think the old school WDW had truly better thought out and executed concepts than the new school.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Sat 23, 2010 10:50 am

Amy wrote:
lonepalm wrote:Very interesting opinions. I wonder if nostalgia plays a part in our preferences or just because we truly feel it was "better" back then?
I'm guessing nostalgia plays a big part. I look at videos of World of Motion, which I remember fondly, but am surprised at how many 2D and video screens there were in the attraction! That being said, I still think the old school WDW had truly better thought out and executed concepts than the new school.
So did Horizons! It was almost as if the second half of the ride ran over budget, so they went cheap on the first half of the ride with all those 2D cutboard cut-out stuff displaying the past perceptions of the far future.

davea61
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by davea61 » Nov Wed 10, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm for old school WDW. Mostly because of the simplier life and times. The technology back in the 70's was amazing and surprising to me. Now, not so much. I mean the parks are still innovative, but they lack that same "wow factor". I blame the internet!!