New Interactive Queues

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Re: New Interactive Queues

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Oct Thu 28, 2010 1:26 pm

NaCler wrote:Just a thought... If this is an interactive queue... maybe the tombstones will be interactive?? You hit a button and something pops out or changes? Would something like that be ok with anyone???
I think the article describes the intended interactive features to be something to the effect of stopping to listen to whispers at various locations and when you piece the information from all of the whispers together it is supposed to tell you the location of the hidden family treasure. If that's true it makes me curious as to whether there will a) actually be some place to go to find the treasure and b) if so whether they may have some small reward associated with it. Even if the answer to both is no, just stoppng to listen to a whisper may back up the line more than necessary.

As someone on the article's page noted in the leave a comment section, the place where HM really needs work in terms of queue is definitely the area immediately after the stretch room leading to the load. If the attraction is particularly busyt and/or the ride stops for more than a few minutes but not enough to warrant closure, that area becomes a total chaotic mess. It was this mass of people being herded into an area too small to contain them and more getting piled on everytime a stretch emptied and it felt like the kind of situation I'm sure a Disney lawyer would absolutely cringe at. It's dark (as it should be but still a factor), tight, and if someone were to trip or get knocked over or there was an actual emergency like a fire that could be a seriously dangerous situation. I've only experienced it once, but that once was pretty terrible. I'm 6'0 and 200 lbs and it was like a mosh pit minus the jumping ( :hm_ghost: ...sorry couldn't resist ), I could only imagine what it was like for the little 8 year olds trying not to get split from their family or trampled over.

That one incident aside, even when the queue is functioning as it should that load area still devolves from queue into a sort of free-for-all until you get back up to the little bat/gargoyle cattle path. I can't imagine what it's going to be like if they're going to start letting wheelchairs in that same entrance.

nicklesm17
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by nicklesm17 » Nov Sat 06, 2010 8:32 pm

just got back (from wdw). yes, the bottleneck prior to getting into your car is ridiculous. my wife heard an old woman exclaim "please, you're crushing me" as we were squeezed into that single file. don't know how removing the graveyard is going to help that. the problem is on the interior not the exterior. i can tell you the graveyard is gone. it's not been relocated to the pet cemetery (that' still intact at the exit). they have a phony facade set up so you can't see the area where the tombstones used to be as you enter, but if you do the liberty square riverboat you can briefly view the (used-to-be cemetery) area from it's deck. no tombstones, just dirt now. can't tell what they have planned, no holes, nothing, if anything it looks ready for sod.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sat 06, 2010 8:34 pm

nicklesm17 wrote:just got back (from wdw). yes, the bottleneck prior to getting into your car is ridiculous. my wife heard an old woman exclaim "please, you're crushing me" as we were squeezed into that single file. don't know how removing the graveyard is going to help that. the problem is on the interior not the exterior. i can tell you the graveyard is gone. it's not been relocated to the pet cemetery (that' still intact at the exit). they have a phony facade set up so you can't see the area where the tombstones used to be as you enter, but if you do the liberty square riverboat you can briefly view the (used-to-be cemetery) area from it's deck. no tombstones, just dirt now. can't tell what they have planned, no holes, nothing, if anything it looks ready for sod.
ACK! I hope there is something there, preferably tombstones!, in a few weeks!!

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Sun 07, 2010 6:16 pm

We just returned and they have covered the tombstone area with a big wooden wall. It looks terrible! :( I don't think every queue needs to be interactive, some things are better left alone!

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Nov Sun 07, 2010 6:37 pm

boilerbabe wrote:We just returned and they have covered the tombstone area with a big wooden wall. It looks terrible! :( I don't think every queue needs to be interactive, some things are better left alone!
You can thank the guests who were surveyed after the ride about the temporary interactive tests a few months ago who said they liked it enough to have something put in permanently. :evil:
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Mon 08, 2010 10:15 am

MadEye wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:We just returned and they have covered the tombstone area with a big wooden wall. It looks terrible! :( I don't think every queue needs to be interactive, some things are better left alone!
You can thank the guests who were surveyed after the ride about the temporary interactive tests a few months ago who said they liked it enough to have something put in permanently. :evil:
I can assure you, I was not one of those guests surveyed! :evil:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 08, 2010 1:44 pm

They most likely ask those, I come here once every decade, people.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Mon 08, 2010 1:47 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:They most likely ask those, I come here once every decade, people.
My guess is that they profile. They already have the idea, and want to use it, so they only ask guests who appear to be of the sort who would support the idea. Thus they get the automatic positive feedback that they're looking for. Done deal.
....or am I just a cynic? :wink:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 08, 2010 1:51 pm

Mousekedude wrote:
Jacca5660 wrote:They most likely ask those, I come here once every decade, people.
My guess is that they profile. They already have the idea, and want to use it, so they only ask guests who appear to be of the sort who would support the idea. Thus they get the automatic positive feedback that they're looking for. Done deal.
OH!! Like political surveys?? Or as like I was learned in statics, just ask a leading question and then target the most likely group to give you the answer you want!!
Last edited by Jacca5660 on Nov Mon 08, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mousekedude
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler
Location: At Serenity Bay, on Castaway Cay again... I wish... :(

Post by Mousekedude » Nov Mon 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:
Mousekedude wrote:
OH!! Like political surveys??
Bingo! Give that man a cigar.... and a voter registration form! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Mon 08, 2010 9:36 pm

Horntoads and Lizards, Fiddle and strum! Answer the roll by beating the drum!
Serpents and Furies, Old Friends and New! Blow on a horn so we'll know that is you!

Trying to summon the 999 Happy Haunts to lead them in a revolt against an interactive-queue graveyard at the WDW HM... :hm_ghost: :hm_ghost: :hm_ghost:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 08, 2010 10:02 pm

mindflipper wrote:Horntoads and Lizards, Fiddle and strum! Answer the roll by beating the drum!
Serpents and Furies, Old Friends and New! Blow on a horn so we'll know that is you!

Trying to summon the 999 Happy Haunts to lead them in a revolt against an interactive-queue graveyard at the WDW HM... :hm_ghost: :hm_ghost: :hm_ghost:
AT TI CA!! AT TI CA!! AT TI CA!! Sorry!! I was just trying to drum up some opposition!!!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Nov Mon 08, 2010 10:49 pm

Next week you will have the unique opportunity to buy your very own piece of history, an actual gravestone prop from the haunted mansion!

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Nov Mon 08, 2010 10:59 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:Next week you will have the unique opportunity to buy your very own piece of history, an actual gravestone prop from the haunted mansion!
I think you can already buy these?

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Nov Mon 08, 2010 11:11 pm

Jacca5660 wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:Next week you will have the unique opportunity to buy your very own piece of history, an actual gravestone prop from the haunted mansion!
I think you can already buy these?
I think Wizzard is joking that Disney will chop up the actual gravestones that used to line the queue at the HM and sell them off the pieces in a "Soylent Green" style merchandising at the park...