Resort Hotel Drinking Mugs

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: Resort Hotel Drinking Mugs

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Sun 07, 2010 6:11 pm

We just returned and they are still using the Celebrate mugs, mine is the one that is not red all the way down to the bottom, but no one seemed to care! We used it successfully at both the Coronado and the Poly.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Nov Sun 07, 2010 9:15 pm

boilerbabe wrote:We just returned and they are still using the Celebrate mugs, mine is the one that is not red all the way down to the bottom, but no one seemed to care! We used it successfully at both the Coronado and the Poly.
Welcome back!! So, did you find out if the mugs are able to be used at the parks too? or just at the resorts?

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Mon 08, 2010 10:13 am

Amy wrote:
boilerbabe wrote:We just returned and they are still using the Celebrate mugs, mine is the one that is not red all the way down to the bottom, but no one seemed to care! We used it successfully at both the Coronado and the Poly.
Welcome back!! So, did you find out if the mugs are able to be used at the parks too? or just at the resorts?
We used it at the resorts only. I don't like to carry a mug with me all day.

trekty
Dumbo Flying Elephants Tamer

Post by trekty » Nov Mon 08, 2010 10:56 am

Did you happen to notice if the Coronado Springs mugs had become "generic"? I know 2 years ago, they were still resort specific since the resturants on site are not run by Disney, just wondering since I'll be down in 33 days and my old one is faded! LOL
Nancie
Any day above ground is a good one

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Nov Mon 08, 2010 11:29 am

trekty wrote:
Did you happen to notice if the Coronado Springs mugs had become "generic"? I know 2 years ago, they were still resort specific since the resturants on site are not run by Disney, just wondering since I'll be down in 33 days and my old one is faded! LOL
They were using the "Celebrate" mugs at the Coronado.

trekty

Post by trekty » Nov Mon 08, 2010 11:35 am

boilerbabe wrote:
trekty wrote:
They were using the "Celebrate" mugs at the Coronado.
Well POOH! I may have to rethink purchasing one :( Thanks for the info :)
Nancie
Any day above ground is a good one

lucky978
Fire Engine Driver
Fire Engine Driver

Post by lucky978 » Nov Fri 12, 2010 7:56 am

cousininmiami wrote:I didn't notice that bar code scanning when I was there in July. But what I don't like is the "generic" mugs used now. I used to enjoy getting the mugs from our visits that had the resort you stayed at, my favorite that I still use at my desk is an old Wilderness Lodge mug.
My Wilderness Lodge mugs are my favorite, too! I'm sad they have generic mugs now. I don't like them.

waltsfaverob
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard
Sleeping Beauty Castle Guard

Post by waltsfaverob » Dec Fri 03, 2010 8:22 pm

Glad ours are free this trip!

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

Post by momeja » Dec Mon 06, 2010 3:45 pm

lucky978 wrote:
cousininmiami wrote:I didn't notice that bar code scanning when I was there in July. But what I don't like is the "generic" mugs used now. I used to enjoy getting the mugs from our visits that had the resort you stayed at, my favorite that I still use at my desk is an old Wilderness Lodge mug.
My Wilderness Lodge mugs are my favorite, too! I'm sad they have generic mugs now. I don't like them.
Mine, too. I actually bought a replacement on ebay when my last one got lost.

I've heard there are plans to replace the mugs entirely with a different bar code system, although I cannot remember how the new system will work. That might be why they haven't changed the mugs in a while.

Mr.ToadWildRider
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by Mr.ToadWildRider » Dec Tue 07, 2010 11:02 am

I guess my question to those who feel Disney is attempting to rip them off by switching to some sort of system whereby you can only get drinks dispensed to you during the course of your trip is when you purchased the mug did they tell you it was good for a lifetime of drinks at the resorts? We had them too and I don't think they ever made any kind of claim as to the length of their usability so I can see the argument that they never said you couldn't re-use over and over, but generally speaking in that sort of situation the company would be willing to change their policy however they want.

I know it's probably the unpopular thought, but I think I'd agree with Disney on this one somewhat. I don't think their intention was buy a $12 mug and have a lifetime of free fountain drinks at your future trips, but many savy guests have thought to bring their old mugs with them and (this may be a little harsh of a word) exploit the system.

If you stay a week and get one drink a day you're probably still coming out ahead with the mug when compared to buying individual drinks per day and you're getting a souveneir. I don't think that's Disney ripping anyone off, if anything it's probably just them closing off an unintended loophole.

BayLakeTowers
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by BayLakeTowers » Dec Tue 07, 2010 12:03 pm

It's not the exploitation of the system that bothers me (probably because I have been guilty of it in the past :oops: ) as much as the generic apperance that is now being produced. I no longer use/buy the mugs because it's not unique anymore. I have a Mara mug, a Port Orleans Mug, an All Stars Mug and a Christmas Mug. They used to be momentos of the different hotels. Now they're all red with mickey's clothes. It's cheaper on Disney because it's only one printing instead of all the different resorts. Also, depending on the DP, I don't need one anyway.

momeja

Post by momeja » Dec Tue 07, 2010 2:22 pm

Exactly what BLT said. I liked all the different mugs. They were a great souvenir. If anything, the switch to a single mug has encouraged more abuse of the system rather than less.

But as I said before, I think they aren't switching because they're preparing a much bigger switch. The Celebrations mugs may be the last.

BayLakeTowers

Post by BayLakeTowers » Dec Tue 07, 2010 3:23 pm

I think you're right. I would never dream of using my Mara mug while staying at Port Oleans. I would stick out and it would show that I was, ahem, exploiting the system. But now that they all look the same, there's nothing stopping me from bringing a mug back to another resort -- other than a guilt trip.

disneydew
King Arthur Carousel Horseman
King Arthur Carousel Horseman

Post by disneydew » Dec Tue 07, 2010 3:29 pm

Amy wrote: Is this to keep track of usage or to keep people from using older mugs?
Wow i never thought of bringing an old mug. I like to buy a mug every vacation, it is a nice momento from my trip. And can soda really cost Disney that much?

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Thu 16, 2010 9:03 pm

I saw people with old mugs while we were at the resort this time. I don't know when they switched to the slimmer mug design but I saw people with the bigger mugs like the resorts had 10 years ago during our previous vacation. My Mom and I both had water bottles that we took and filled with ice and water at the beverage island on the way through in the morning. I did fill it once or twice with pop when I forgot to bring my mug and none of the CM's said anything. I felt a little bad but not too bad as I would have been drinking the same thing in my mug. And my Mom inquired about getting a cup for coffee when she returned to the resort early one night and did not wish to go all the way back to the room to retrieve her mug and then back to the food court for her coffee. She said the CM gave her a cup without blinking. I do think the mug is worthwhile if you are there for several days and have at least one or two drinks a day. We likely would have purchased the mugs if we weren't on the dining plan.