WDW in January!

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Cub
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

WDW in January!

Post by Cub » Oct Fri 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Since the Not-So-Scary Halloween party was sold out for Oct. 31st and my work schedule would not work out with our vacation plans, my family has decided that we will be going to Disney World during the second week in January.
How is the weather that time of year? I've been during Thanksgiving and it wasn't that cold, from what I remember. I'm normally a hot natured person, so it has to be SUPER cold for me to even consider bringing a jacket.

To anyone who has been in January: how cold is it? Would you recommend taking a jacket? :mickey:
"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
-Walt Disney♥

theBIGyowski
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper
Tom Sawyer Island Rafts Skipper

Re: WDW in January!

Post by theBIGyowski » Oct Fri 08, 2010 3:56 pm

The weather can be funny in January. One day it could be 70 degrees...and the next it could be 45. Count on bringing light jackets to wear at night and maybe long sleeves you could pull up during the day. The crowds are lighter, but so are the attraction vehicles on some rides. So, even though there are less people, they might only have one side running on Big Thunder Mountain or Space Mountain. I can tell you already that Splash Mountain will be closed because they shut it down every year in January for refurb. It's the downside of going there for the marathon because you can't ride Splash.

You'll have a blast...it's WDW!

1986: Offsite
1997: Offsite
2001: Coronado Springs
2008: Shades of Green / Saratoga Springs (WDW Half Marathon)
2009: Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW Half Marathon)
2010: Port Orleans Riverside (Honeymoon)
2011: Old Key West / Bay Lake Tower
2014: Kidani Village
2015: Old Key West (5th Wedding Anniversary)
2016: Old Key West (Kids' first WDW vacation in December!)

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Post by boilerbabe » Oct Fri 08, 2010 8:35 pm

I agree with theBIGyowkski, the weather is iffy. We were there in Jan. '05 for the marathon and it was actually warm! It's hit or miss! You might want to check the weather ahead of time and pack a little of everything, you can most likely leave the short out though, don't think you'll need those in Jan. :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Fri 08, 2010 9:52 pm

boilerbabe wrote:I agree with theBIGyowkski, the weather is iffy. We were there in Jan. '05 for the marathon and it was actually warm! It's hit or miss! You might want to check the weather ahead of time and pack a little of everything, you can most likely leave the short out though, don't think you'll need those in Jan. :D
I would take the shorts! Especially if you tend to be a little on the warm side. It could easily be in the 70's in January...of course it could also be in the 30's. Take a little of everything and buy a sweatshirt there ~ it's a souvenir and a handy thing to only have to pack on the way home :D

Joe90
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Post by Joe90 » Oct Sat 09, 2010 4:05 am

Sleepy and I have been going in Jan/Feb for the last 10 years :) The weather is totally unpredictable.
I have been jogging around Riverside sliding on the ice one day, then shorts, T-shirt and sunscreen the next day.

I always carry a small rucksack with ponchos and sweaters. The temps can change very very rapidly, we have seen the air temp drop over 10 degrees in an hour. The rain can appear even when not predicted by the daily weather reports and it seems to come in lumps rather than drops.

The pic below was taken in Jan 08 during the day. Look at that sky and look how busy liberty square isn't :)
If you look through the Disney in the Day - Photo Tribute thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6059 all my pics are from late Jan or early Feb :)
I have to quote a fellow Scotsman "There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing."
"We live in a society absolutely dependent on science and technology and yet have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. " Carl Sagan

kcarts
Flight to the Moon Flight Director
Flight to the Moon Flight Director

Post by kcarts » Oct Sat 09, 2010 6:18 am

I went down last Juanuary. The morning I left from Boston, the temp in the Hub was 27 and in Orlando, 25. It snowed and sleeted the third day I was there. The temp never got above 60. I brought shorts and they made an appearance on the second day I was there when it got to about 60. So it can be cold. But I know it can be very warm there that time of year as well.

It was kind of funny. Normally we seek out the indoor atractions for the AC and to cool off. This time we wanted to do them to warm up!

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Sat 09, 2010 6:53 am

Joe90 wrote:...The rain can appear even when not predicted by the daily weather reports and it seems to come in lumps rather than drops....I have to quote a fellow Scotsman "There is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing."
That is an awesome photo Joe! And I like your observation of the rain coming down in lumps ~ perfect wording :D

Cub

Post by Cub » Oct Sat 09, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Either way, I'm going to WDW and it's going to be fun no matter what. I can deal with any type of weather.
-Walt Disney♥

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Oct Sat 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Everyone is right about the weather being mercurial during January. February tends to be more cold than January. I agree with bringing a light jacket, but that should be in addition to a heavier one just to be safe. And the weather can vary even within the day - I've been where it was warm in the day, but a cold front came through before sundown and it dropped to really cold weather quickly. Just beware, because those cold fronts from the North can change the weather in a blink of an eye! Plus side about going in January is that after a lot of people went in December, so you don't have those crowds to deal with when you're there in January. Have a good time in January!

jeremyleo
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper
Motor Boat Cruise Skipper

Post by jeremyleo » Oct Tue 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Certainly depends on where you are travelling from in January. We have been 4 times in Jan/Feb timeframe and we travel from Ottawa, Ontario where we typically have temeratures that time of year that can range from 10 degrees to -25 degrees (Fahrenheit), with wind chills on top of that, so January weather in Orlando, even if in the 50s, is just fine for us! And the crowds are definately lighter, although there is greater liklihood of refurbs for attractions, resort pools and restaraunts.

I guess last winter was exceptionally cold everywhere indluding Orlando. Hopefully that's the exception.

No matter, we always have a blast!
Can't get back to WDW soon enought, but alas, no immediate plans...

jlpeaches255
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider
Mr. Toad's Wild Rider

Post by jlpeaches255 » Oct Tue 12, 2010 5:21 pm

I was there in Jan of 09 and I had to wear my winter jacket some days. No one back at home felt sorry for me because they were in the middle of a snow storm and got a foot of snow! :lol:

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Oct Tue 12, 2010 7:45 pm

jeremyleo wrote:Certainly depends on where you are travelling from in January. We have been 4 times in Jan/Feb timeframe and we travel from Ottawa, Ontario where we typically have temeratures that time of year that can range from 10 degrees to -25 degrees (Fahrenheit), with wind chills on top of that, so January weather in Orlando, even if in the 50s, is just fine for us! And the crowds are definately lighter, although there is greater liklihood of refurbs for attractions, resort pools and restaraunts.

I guess last winter was exceptionally cold everywhere indluding Orlando. Hopefully that's the exception.

I can understand your point. Driving down from South East Tennessee it sometimes gets a little cold.
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Cub

Post by Cub » Oct Tue 12, 2010 10:44 pm

jeremyleo wrote:Certainly depends on where you are travelling from in January. We have been 4 times in Jan/Feb timeframe and we travel from Ottawa, Ontario where we typically have temeratures that time of year that can range from 10 degrees to -25 degrees (Fahrenheit), with wind chills on top of that, so January weather in Orlando, even if in the 50s, is just fine for us! And the crowds are definately lighter, although there is greater liklihood of refurbs for attractions, resort pools and restaraunts.

I'm coming from central Alabama. So it will be about the same or hotter/colder than it is here. It all depends on what the weather wants to do. :lol:
-Walt Disney♥

wewantsdaredhead
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by wewantsdaredhead » Oct Wed 13, 2010 5:48 am

I agree with almost everyone's takes---one word: unpredictable!
I was just looking at my pics from our Jan 08 trip...on the first day my boys both have on t-shirts and shorts. The 2nd day they have on jeans and short sleeves---then the third--heavy coats!!
I remember it well--even I had to wear jeans and I NEVER wear them..I'm a shorts all year guy.

Just bring a nice mix of heavy and medium clothes and you will be fine.

have a great time!! :)

indianagirl21
Main Street Cinema Projectionist
Main Street Cinema Projectionist

Post by indianagirl21 » Oct Wed 13, 2010 12:44 pm

I went in january of 2007 and I wore jeans and a t-shirt and brought a sweater just in case and it worked out well. Weather forecast it just before you leave but I think other then that... everything should be fine for normal everyday clothes.