Wonders of Life Pavilion Memories UPDATE-Buzzy Lives!

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Mousedad
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur
Horseless Carriage Chauffeur

Re: Wonders of Life Pavilion Memories UPDATE-Buzzy Lives!

Post by Mousedad » Dec Wed 04, 2013 10:50 am

Listening to Cranium Command brings back fun memories. I'm sure my 8 year old son would get a kick out of the WOL pavilion. Has anyone heard a good explanation as to why is was closed? I'm guessing sponsorship fell apart but the attraction was so good, I have to believe Disney could find a way to fund and sustain it.

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Dec Wed 04, 2013 10:53 am

Mousedad wrote:Listening to Cranium Command brings back fun memories. I'm sure my 8 year old son would get a kick out of the WOL pavilion. Has anyone heard a good explanation as to why is was closed? I'm guessing sponsorship fell apart but the attraction was so good, I have to believe Disney could find a way to fund and sustain it.
PR and marketing personnel found the intarwebs...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Wed 04, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm guessing it was mostly the lack of a sponsor. I always enjoyed the attraction but it probably would seem dated.

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Dec Thu 05, 2013 10:18 am

Amy wrote:I'm guessing it was mostly the lack of a sponsor. I always enjoyed the attraction but it probably would seem dated.
Indeed. Medical technology changes at such a rapid pace, I think we would all be surprised at how dated it was. I love the concept of edutainment, but when we're talking about medical or scientific technology, it would be cost-prohibitive to keep it updated.
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

GoldenBear
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor
Casey Junior Circus Train Conductor

Post by GoldenBear » Dec Thu 05, 2013 11:03 am

I miss those sitting bikes where you could pedal through the parks!

Wizzard419
Pirates of the Caribbean Buccaneer

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Thu 05, 2013 4:14 pm

cy1229 wrote:
Amy wrote:I'm guessing it was mostly the lack of a sponsor. I always enjoyed the attraction but it probably would seem dated.
Indeed. Medical technology changes at such a rapid pace, I think we would all be surprised at how dated it was. I love the concept of edutainment, but when we're talking about medical or scientific technology, it would be cost-prohibitive to keep it updated.
Don't forget view on science, health, and reproduction that a large swath of the country has a negative opinion on when it says they are being told their choices are not the best. Such as eating everything deep fried. :mrgreen:

horizons1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by horizons1 » Dec Fri 06, 2013 10:22 am

GoldenBear wrote:I miss those sitting bikes where you could pedal through the parks!
Me too! Here is a video I put on YouTube of my friend pedaling "through Disneyland" back in 1991. Sorry the quality is so poor but I was happy the tape survived 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9XRCyLdIcQ
No one's gloomy or complaining while the flatware's entertaining.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Fri 06, 2013 6:04 pm

horizons1 wrote:
GoldenBear wrote:I miss those sitting bikes where you could pedal through the parks!
Me too! Here is a video I put on YouTube of my friend pedaling "through Disneyland" back in 1991. Sorry the quality is so poor but I was happy the tape survived 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9XRCyLdIcQ
Fun! It is neat you still have that :D

Sharonofwindham
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner
Shooting Galleries Gun Cleaner

Re: Wonders of Life Pavilion Memories

Post by Sharonofwindham » Dec Sat 07, 2013 1:23 pm

Amy wrote:I miss the Wonders of Life. I really loved Cranium Command and Buzzy. Body Wars was a bit rough, and the Making of Me was a little...well, embarrassing, but overall the pavilion was pretty neat. It is sad to think it is simply closed and the shows are gathering dust :(
Cranium Command was a favorite of mine as well. To me it was just one of the best...so fresh, and different from anything else in the parks. Was blown away the first time I saw it. Sometimes I really don't understand Disney. This is really a time that we could use exhibits like the ones that were found here. Anyone remember the stationary recumbent bikes that you could ride "through the parks"? They could update the other attractions...always thought Body Wars was a little lame, and I never wanted to waste time watching the movie. I didn't understand why anyone would...it wasn't anything special like other movies at the parks, 3D or circle vision, and no animatronics thrown in...it was just a simple short film.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sat 07, 2013 2:14 pm

What people could use and what people want when paying for a theme park vacation are two very different things.

GeoffS
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln Usher

Post by GeoffS » Dec Sun 08, 2013 1:32 am

Wizzard419 wrote:What people could use and what people want when paying for a theme park vacation are two very different things.
And then there's that sneaky in between where people don't know what they want until they see it. I blew off virtually everything on Main Street for years, from Lincoln to the Cinema. I thought, "BOOOOOOOOORING." Now I spend time during each visit on the indoor activities. Wouldn't have ever seen any of it if I hadn't been hot and tired, and found the first air-conditioned space available.

Wizzard419

Post by Wizzard419 » Dec Sun 08, 2013 11:27 am

But, one would argue, Lincoln doesn't tell a guest their health choices are wrong. Though I would also wonder if people who reference the Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression" would also avoid the attraction entirely? :D

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sun 08, 2013 12:43 pm

GeoffS wrote:
Wizzard419 wrote:What people could use and what people want when paying for a theme park vacation are two very different things.
And then there's that sneaky in between where people don't know what they want until they see it. I blew off virtually everything on Main Street for years, from Lincoln to the Cinema. I thought, "BOOOOOOOOORING." Now I spend time during each visit on the indoor activities. Wouldn't have ever seen any of it if I hadn't been hot and tired, and found the first air-conditioned space available.
That is the nice thing about being able to visit more than once or twice. You can explore some of the other attractions and shows that you might otherwise skip. But that is the nice thing about the parks, people can choose what and how they want to see things...

GeoffS

Post by GeoffS » Dec Sun 08, 2013 2:28 pm

Wizzard419 wrote:But, one would argue, Lincoln doesn't tell a guest their health choices are wrong. Though I would also wonder if people who reference the Civil War as "The War of Northern Aggression" would also avoid the attraction entirely? :D
No, dammit, he tells you YOUR SECESSIONIST CONFEDERATION IS WRONG (looking at you, Colorado, Texas, and Oklahoma). Which may be more offensive these days than calling someone fat, if we go by the Becks and O'Reillys of the world. Still can't get over the first five minutes of that crappy made-for-TV adaption of his crappier book. Twirling mustaches, indeed.

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Dec Sun 08, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm starting to think that it could be dangerous letting Wizz and GeoffS play together... ;)