Does anybody collect pins?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

cousininmiami
Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes Guide

Re: Does anybody collect pins?

Post by cousininmiami » Mar Sat 09, 2013 5:29 pm

I will be looking for a Disney Afternoon pin this next trip, has anyone seen one yet?
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

dstrawn9889
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner
Snow White's Adventures Gem Miner

Post by dstrawn9889 » Mar Sat 09, 2013 5:59 pm

cousininmiami

Post by cousininmiami » Mar Mon 11, 2013 8:47 am

Want them!!!!!
°o° "...it's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day" °o°

Tiger87
Swiss Family Treehouse Guide

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Sun 05, 2014 1:54 pm

I collect pins and do custom shadow box art displays for my home. I have a general one of the various rides we visited, a halloween themed one, a Haunted Mansion one, a MK themed one, a Peter Pan themed one (my favorite Disney character). I went out and purchased themed fabric to cover the bland backgrounds. I add some of the scrapbook cut outs to give a 3D effect (such as the MK castle, trees, and crows). Secret is not to overload the pins in one box so each can stand out.

Tiger87

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Sun 12, 2014 12:14 pm

When I first known about the pins ..I told myself to stay away from them....a couple thousand later dollars later....well yeah...call me a pin-head :goofy_bounce:

cy1229
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter
Country Bear Jamboree Greeter

Post by cy1229 » Oct Mon 13, 2014 11:24 am

Tiger87 wrote:When I first known about the pins ..I told myself to stay away from them....a couple thousand later dollars later....well yeah...call me a pin-head :goofy_bounce:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Polynesian 1980
All-Star Movies 2001
Pop Century 2008
Saratoga Springs 2010
Bay Lake Tower 2012
Hyatt Place Anaheim Resort/Convention Center 2015
Marriott Anaheim Suites 2016

Thumper1
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain
Mike Fink Keel Boats Boatswain

Post by Thumper1 » Oct Fri 24, 2014 5:49 pm

ahhhh!! the pins!! my hubby got crazy over them our last trip (june 14) and proceeded to get our daughter and myself interested in them! I actually found a Roger Rabbit pin that I had to get! You don't see anything Roger Rabbit very often!!

grimmghosts96
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist
Fantasyland Theater Projectionist

Post by grimmghosts96 » Jan Wed 21, 2015 9:42 am

I've always wanted to start a pin collection. I love collecting things. I recently got into it through a buddy of mine who has been doing ti for awhile now. I now have about 50+ pins. Nothing too crazy, I'd say I'm a novice when it comes to pin trading but I enjoy it.

I started my collection by buying on eBay. Here's a great seller I started getting some stuff from.
http://stores.ebay.com/dizzney4pins/

This next WDW trip (Feb 27-March 6) I'm planning on trading some with Cast Members and at resort gift shops. Hoping to pickup some cool Star Wars-related pins.

Tiger87

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Wed 07, 2015 8:12 am

I first looked a kiosk filled with pins...I looked at my wife and said...no..no..no..and grabbed her hand and walked in another direction...that's was our 2010 visit to ..since then I've had to take out a second mortgage :hatter_bounce: ....No we are not that bad but we love collecting the pins and just this last visit found a liking to pin trading with cast members and guests. When I buy pins I make sure to use my annual pass or DVC membership to get a discount...this adds up when buying a bit too much :)

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Wed 07, 2015 10:07 am

Tiger87 wrote:I first looked a kiosk filled with pins...I looked at my wife and said...no..no..no..and grabbed her hand and walked in another direction...that's was our 2010 visit to ..since then I've had to take out a second mortgage :hatter_bounce: ....No we are not that bad but we love collecting the pins and just this last visit found a liking to pin trading with cast members and guests. When I buy pins I make sure to use my annual pass or DVC membership to get a discount...this adds up when buying a bit too much :)
They are fun for sure, but definitely sort of expensive if you really get into it. Think the pin trading is a cool idea though!

Tiger87

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Wed 07, 2015 9:34 pm

For sure it is Amy..I started out looking on ebay for the trading pins..after a few bags and different sellers you will build up doubles..try to remember what sets you are trying to complete that way you don't bring back more doubles..I ended up bringing back 3 ..so I have 3 to start for new trades next visit :ccat:

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 08, 2015 8:08 am

Tiger87 wrote:For sure it is Amy..I started out looking on ebay for the trading pins..after a few bags and different sellers you will build up doubles..try to remember what sets you are trying to complete that way you don't bring back more doubles..I ended up bringing back 3 ..so I have 3 to start for new trades next visit :ccat:
That's probably the best part about trading ~ if you end up with a duplicate pin by accident, you now have one for trading! I can't imagine how tricky it is once you get a large collection to keep things straight though :shock:
I'm curious about one thing, I've seen a few things posted by people that find a lot of "fake" pins on ebay. How do you check to make sure you are getting Disney parks authentic pins when you purchase them that way? Is there something to look for? And if you get a pin that isn't authentic, will the CMs still trade you for it, or are you sort of out of luck?

Tiger87

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Thu 08, 2015 8:45 am

From what I know and I do is..new pins I get I put a magnet on the bag and roll the bag around real easy if you get one that sticks its a scrapper...I think that's what they call it..but the way they make the pins on the factory line if a pin don't start to look right they throw them into buckets..a pin goes through a few steps before its finally made from what I've heard is some workers have taken these "scrappers" and have been circulating ...so it ends up into the traders hands...Look for imperfections..wrong colors on the charactors..stuff like that..if you end up with some put them off to side I have found maybe 3 out of 450 trading pins I have purchased on ebay...

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Oct Thu 08, 2015 9:36 am

Tiger87 wrote:From what I know and I do is..new pins I get I put a magnet on the bag and roll the bag around real easy if you get one that sticks its a scrapper...I think that's what they call it..but the way they make the pins on the factory line if a pin don't start to look right they throw them into buckets..a pin goes through a few steps before its finally made from what I've heard is some workers have taken these "scrappers" and have been circulating ...so it ends up into the traders hands...Look for imperfections..wrong colors on the charactors..stuff like that..if you end up with some put them off to side I have found maybe 3 out of 450 trading pins I have purchased on ebay...
Ah, good tip. That isn't a high percentage then. The one blog was making it sound like it was a really big problem. I wonder if some of the scrappers might actually be worth a little bit more if they had the wrong colors on them then, because they would be rare?

Tiger87

Post by Tiger87 » Oct Thu 08, 2015 10:12 am

Amy wrote:
Tiger87 wrote:From what I know and I do is..new pins I get I put a magnet on the bag and roll the bag around real easy if you get one that sticks its a scrapper...I think that's what they call it..but the way they make the pins on the factory line if a pin don't start to look right they throw them into buckets..a pin goes through a few steps before its finally made from what I've heard is some workers have taken these "scrappers" and have been circulating ...so it ends up into the traders hands...Look for imperfections..wrong colors on the charactors..stuff like that..if you end up with some put them off to side I have found maybe 3 out of 450 trading pins I have purchased on ebay...
Ah, good tip. That isn't a high percentage then. The one blog was making it sound like it was a really big problem. I wonder if some of the scrappers might actually be worth a little bit more if they had the wrong colors on them then, because they would be rare?
I would think so to some value at the least you could make a collection of scrappers..thats what I plan to do.Soon I plan on buying some more trading pins on ebay..if I find any I'll let you know how I did