The Sorcerer's Hat - good, bad, or feh?

All four parks, waterparks, and other magic in Central Florida

Moderator: Moderators

Get rid of the Hat or keep it?

Get rid of the Hat. It messes with the overall DHS movie vibe and ruins my perfect view of the Chinese Theater.
87%
Keep the Hat. I never liked the Great Movie Ride all that much anyway.
13%

Total votes: 45

momeja
Rocket Jets Flight Director

The Sorcerer's Hat - good, bad, or feh?

Post by momeja » Jul Thu 15, 2010 2:02 pm

In keeping with the poll about the wand, I was curious how people felt about the Sorcerer's Hat that dominates DHS. Many of the CMs I've talked to hate it, but how does everyone else feel? Is it an eyesore or a highlight of your visit to DHS, a memory that stays with you long after you've finished your raspberry frozen lemonade and headed home?

boilerbabe
Pack Mules Wrangler
Pack Mules Wrangler

Re: The Sorcerer's Hat - good, bad, or feh?

Post by boilerbabe » Jul Thu 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Good poll momeja! I personally can't stand the hat! It has over stayed it's welcome! I loved the view of the Chinese Theatre and I also enjoyed the fireworks that used to be there, Sorcerer Mickey would pop up behind the Chinese Theatre, it was great! I say get rid of that awful hat! I always thought the the Earful Tower should've been DHS's icon.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Thu 15, 2010 3:13 pm

...or move the hat somewhere else. To me, it fits more in the theme of the Animation Courtyard area than in front of the theatre.

Jacca5660
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Jacca5660 » Jul Thu 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Take it down and cut it up so Disney doesn't get a ideas!
"Our dreams can come true - if we have the courage to pursue them" WED

"There's a fine prow on that steamer, let's climb aboard her!" Fireside

"You're off the map mateys..Here there be SeaMonsters!!"

The original "LICENSE MAYHEM MARAUDER!!ImageImage

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Thu 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Move it somewhere...

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Thu 15, 2010 11:45 pm

I actually talked to a few CM's about the hat. None of the CM's I talked to had nice things to say about the hat. However, it does not appear like the hat will be coming down anytime in the near future. Apparently what I was told is that the people who own the real Mann Chinese Theater demand royalties from Disney copying the building. By obscuring the facade with the large hat, Disney has been able to keep royalty costs down. From what I was made to understand, Disney had to obscure the facade or change the building around. This is only a rumor from a CM, so I don't know if it is the truth.
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy"

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Fri 16, 2010 12:08 am

Len90 wrote:I actually talked to a few CM's about the hat. None of the CM's I talked to had nice things to say about the hat. However, it does not appear like the hat will be coming down anytime in the near future. Apparently what I was told is that the people who own the real Mann Chinese Theater demand royalties from Disney copying the building. By obscuring the facade with the large hat, Disney has been able to keep royalty costs down. From what I was made to understand, Disney had to obscure the facade or change the building around. This is only a rumor from a CM, so I don't know if it is the truth.
I've seen the original and the one there and while they look alike, they're not necessarily identical. But can you copyright/trademark a building appearance? :?:

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Fri 16, 2010 1:00 am

mindflipper wrote:
Len90 wrote:I actually talked to a few CM's about the hat. None of the CM's I talked to had nice things to say about the hat. However, it does not appear like the hat will be coming down anytime in the near future. Apparently what I was told is that the people who own the real Mann Chinese Theater demand royalties from Disney copying the building. By obscuring the facade with the large hat, Disney has been able to keep royalty costs down. From what I was made to understand, Disney had to obscure the facade or change the building around. This is only a rumor from a CM, so I don't know if it is the truth.
I've seen the original and the one there and while they look alike, they're not necessarily identical. But can you copyright/trademark a building appearance? :?:
That's why I find the story tough to be believe. However it is interesting that Disney never did get the rights to secure the Mann or Grauman name. Finally, the hat went up towards the time frame when the name change was taking place. People have been quick to discount this as a myth, but do keep in mind this went up during the 100 years celebration for 2001-2002 and the real theater name changed back to Grauman's for 2002. The park was built when it was owned and run by Mann theaters. I also did some research and this information is floating around on the web.

Here is an excerpt from thegreatmovieride.com: Legal Issues Arise

It has been rumored that there was a legal dispute, in the late 1990s, between the owners of the original Grumann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood and the Disney company. As a result, Disney entirely lost its ability to use the theater in promotional materials. It also prevented the celebrity handprint events that occured in front of the building. To remedy the legal issues, Disney built a large replica of Mickey's sorcerer hat, from the film "Fantasia."
- Len90
"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Fri 16, 2010 5:32 am

That sounds like a plausible explanation...

MadEye
Haunted Mansion Butler
Haunted Mansion Butler

Post by MadEye » Jul Fri 16, 2010 6:42 am

Myth. Disney cooked that one up so they wouldn't have to do anything with the hat for a loooooooonnnnnnnnggggggg time.
We are all a little weird
And life's a little weird,
And when we find someone whose
Weirdness is compatible with ours,
We join up with them and fall in
Mutual weirdness and call it Love.”
― Dr. Seuss

Eames: Listen, if you're gonna perform INCEPTION, you need IMAGINATION.

momeja

Post by momeja » Jul Fri 16, 2010 7:34 am

Interesting rumour, though. I know sometimes Disney's legal does things because they don't want the headache of the possible lawsuit, even if they're likely to win. However, since they could be sued for the facade even with the hat, I'm guessing it's a myth, too.

mindflipper
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by mindflipper » Jul Fri 16, 2010 8:11 am

I'm with MadEye on this. I've seen alot of the Disney lawsuits come across Bloomberg over the past 10+ years but I have never seen anything about a dispute with the theatre in LA. There's been lawsuits over Fantasia, Roger Rabbit (which resulted in changing Spectromagic), Wide World of Sports, Michael Ovitz, Winnie the Pooh, the MGM name, etc. - but I don't recall seeing one about the Chinese Theatre. Everyone loves sueing Disney.

DIAC1987
Mad Tea Party Host
Mad Tea Party Host

Post by DIAC1987 » Jul Sun 18, 2010 11:08 pm

"It has been rumored that there was a legal dispute, in the late 1990s, between the owners of the original Grumann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood and the Disney company. As a result, Disney entirely lost its ability to use the theater in promotional materials. It also prevented the celebrity handprint events that occured in front of the building. To remedy the legal issues, Disney built a large replica of Mickey's sorcerer hat, from the film "Fantasia.""

That sounds like the most reasonable reason for why the hat is there, and so close to the theater too,. Its one thing to build the hat to become the symbol of Hollywood Studios. It is another thing to place it right in front on a still-popular attraction.

Len90
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Len90 » Jul Sun 18, 2010 11:26 pm

I don't know if I would call it a still popular attraction. It doesn't have nearly as long a wait anymore as it used to. We had a nice Disney walk on, but that was because we rode it during EMH.

DIAC1987, the reasoning you have put forth is why I found that and the rumors on the internet to be credible.
- Len90

Amy
Submarine Voyage Captain
Submarine Voyage Captain

Post by Amy » Jul Mon 19, 2010 6:34 am

Len90 wrote:I don't know if I would call it a still popular attraction. It doesn't have nearly as long a wait anymore as it used to. We had a nice Disney walk on, but that was because we rode it during EMH.

DIAC1987, the reasoning you have put forth is why I found that and the rumors on the internet to be credible.
From what I have been reading on here, isn't the Great Movie Ride having some big meltdowns in AA and sets looking tired and worn? That might be contributing to the decline. I would hope it is due for a refurb soon...